HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,427 Posts
Discussion
Not too far from the truth?

Bearing in mind the mega screwups that have been demonstarted in the financial world, and the fact that few people have been penalised for it, is this guy close to the truth?

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...141121623.html
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:35 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me much. The Invisible Finger strikes again.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
he is another leftists seeking the fake utopia of government controls everything
fdawg is offline Find More Posts by fdawg
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:52 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdawg View Post
he is another leftists seeking the fake utopia of government controls everything
Do you disagree with the concept that some regulation is needed to prevent monopolistic and collusive control?

Carey.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
we have had regulation

what we have now over regulation

government gets its power into more things than the 18 enumerated powers

when they get their hands on things they screw it up
fdawg is offline Find More Posts by fdawg
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:56 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Quote:
we have had regulation

Then you'd think it would make sense for businesses to be self regulating so they could avoid that, wouldn't you?
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:57 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
we have had regulation

Thanks fdawg,

I agree that gov'ts are messing in many areas that they should not have a hand in. I'd prefer a system where the states, provinces in my case had more control due to regional and ideological differences. However, given the centralized nature of the OP, this is best addressed at a federal level.

I am not sure that this specific case is detrimental collusion, but it bears looking into.

Cheers,
Carey.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:59 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Then you'd think it would make sense for businesses to be self regulating so they could avoid that, wouldn't you?
But then , wouldn't things like bread and milk , clothes, and other life sustaining goods be priced out of reach of anyone making less than 80,000.oo a year ?
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, that's just emotive labelling which seems to be used to save any necessary questioning of any situation...

Code:
If 
   'view not liked' 
then
  'call it leftist'
  'say it's all about excess government'
else
  'say it's absolutely correct'
  'say it's freedom'
  'say it's to be trusted'
  'say it's for your benefit'
endif
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape View Post
Do you disagree with the concept that some regulation is needed to prevent monopolistic and collusive control?

Carey.
Carey, I am even more concerned of the government becoming the monopoly controller....past history isn't too good.

Peace,
Lyle
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:56 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
Carey, I am even more concerned of the government becoming the monopoly controller....past history isn't too good.

Peace,
Lyle
Hey Lyle,

Living in Alberta, I am keenly aware of the damage that can be done by a liberal gov't meddling in the free market system. If you are interested look up National Energy Program and what it did to our economy, country wide.

I am completely on board with regard to many of the points made by the right here in regards to gov't overstepping its bounds, and messing in things that the capitalist system will address inherently. However, with regards to monopolies, oligopolies/collusion, an outside agency is required to address the undermining of the greatest check/balance in the capitalist system: competition.

Your concern is absolutely valid and I share it for the most part. I do not have the answers, regulating such phenomena effectively is beyond my intellectual abilities, and unfortunately it appears, gov'ts.

That said.....
I am a firm believer in social justice. I despise the fact that some broker can receive hundreds of times the compensation that a janitor makes given similar levels of toil be they physical or mental. There is an uneven playing field, and I applaud efforts that attempt to level it. I read a comment here earlier today, that the left has failed miserably on this account, and rather than leveling the field, they are attempting to level the scoreboard, a profound and accurate analogy to say the least. I will look back and give credit to the poster. It should be noted with the leveling of the playing field, the leveling of the scoreboard will take care of itself. When there are no more janitors, the field will see an influx due to increased demand restricted supply and the resulting price adjustments.

I might add, that given the long term nature of such an endeavor, there has to be some pain in the short term, that includes leveling the scoreboard. Conservatives need to accept some liberal ideas on taxation, liberals some conservative ideals on spending, lest there be a serious collapse of the economy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Musings, not completely thought through, just a seed of an idea, please go easy on me:

In such a situation as the OP, and assuming price fixing is indeed taking place, perhaps the gov't could be quite effective in establishing a business that competes with the oligopolies in question. This need not cost the taxpayer a cent, if set up properly would be revenue generating, and be consistent with capitalist ideals. A company that basis pricing on a reasonable return, compensation, and the best interests of its shareholders (in this case, society itself). It would be ideal if capitalism took care of this, but given barriers to entry, and greed, that is not likely forthcoming.

Kindest Regards,
Carey.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,427 Posts
Hey, Carey, are you trying to suggest common-sense equity of behaviour on both sides.. Well, stop it right now!

It's just like the so called 'Supply and Demand' of market forces - where Oil companies parked numbers of fully laden oil tankers a couple of miles from our coast - waiting 'til they pushed the prices up!

And yet, when groups of people penalise companies, using their muscle, then that is *shock* *gasp* completely unacceptable..
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:31 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Somebody explain to me how any collusion for profit has taken place when a typical home loan is around 3%, and bank rates are always based upon Fed rates on a "cost plus" basis anyway.

Somebody explain it to me, and try not to embarrass yourself.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Hey Norman,

Yeah I am always dismayed by those who seem to welcome the collapse. To see conservative ideals reset to where they once were by whatever means. I too would like to see the reset to a world where the middle class truly ruled, but a slow progression back from the brink is a preferable path IMO. I worry for my children.

In the event of collapse the liberal mindset will too be responsible; too much interference, to many expensive feel good projects that only perpetuate the problems they wish to address. They will be just as culpable.

I believe there is a way out without catastrophe. The wealthy may have to contribute more than their fair share, the poor may be forced to live without anything but the basics, and this environment will be in place for years to come, but the end is more than worth the pain. If the economy does collapse, only those that are physically strong, true leaders, and immoral will benefit. The rich will have the curtain pulled back and their true wealth revealed, the poor will see their current predicament worsened 100 fold. It is the Apocalypse around the next corner, it is not God that is responsible, it is man and his inherent weakness, his greed, and his selfishness.

I must stop writing now I am scaring myself, we'll have to see how it goes, one thing is certain these are interesting times in which we live.

Cheers,
Carey.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:36 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Somebody explain to me how any collusion for profit has taken place when a typical home loan is around 3%, and bank rates are always based upon Fed rates on a "cost plus" basis anyway.

Somebody explain it to me, and try not to embarrass yourself.
Interest is evil.

In Exodus 22:25

"If you lend money to any of My people who are poor among you, you shall not be like a moneylender to him; you shall not charge him interest."

Leviticus 25:35-37:

"If one of your brethren becomes poor, and falls into poverty among you, then you shall help him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you. Take no usury or interest from him; but fear your God, that your brother may live with you. You shall not lend him your money for usury, nor lend him your food for profit."

That is all I got.

Regards Highflight,
Carey.

Sorry to the OP for the off topic tangent, been rambling, embarrassed myself.