HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Yup, found it - http://www.trapletshop.com/product.aspx?c=3792 and they are even offering a canape to order and mention laser cut wood.

Nice info, thanks. There is just something a bit different about the 48... It just looks right.

Mark

Just ran through the checkout procedure to find out the cost. $27.99 to my door. Not all that bad. Now all I have to so is want to really build it.
If that's a free plan in the mag I could post you a copy.They usually have a build feature which could be useful.Cheaper as well,which is always good
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Thanks for the offer Stuart. Though the mods here on RCG get a little touchy about posting new copyrighted material beyond fair use. Think it might be better if you just looked at your in box for my PM.

Mark
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
While thinking more and more about that mini AV-48, I stumbled across this version as well, all 158" of it. Plans here - http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2757 and wood pack here - http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2776

Maybe should try and give the mini a go first and see it I like it.

Mark
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,204 Posts
Which mag?Any mag?
I've subscribed to RCME for a number of years now.Renewal is due,but I don't think I'll bother.It's a good general mag,but the content,understandably caters to the mass market;warbirds,ARF kits etc.I can only recall a couple of mentions of any sort of wing in the past few years.
Do any of you guys take a mag?I was thinking about Q&EF?
Regards Stuart
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:35 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
Haven't bothered with the 'comics' for years. The rise of the Chinese ready made airframes and the quality of the revues thereof put me off. Also when there's nothing of interest written, the reason to purchase rather evaporates...
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:24 AM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Do any of you guys take a mag?I was thinking about Q&EF?
Regards Stuart
Hello Stuart,
I rather enjoy Q&EFi and miss it as it is hard to find here in the States and the price of a subscription seems steep to me but so is the cover price. I think the columns of Chris Golds, Chris Williams and John Stennard (as they usually are building something or have a good story to tell) make the magazine, the rest is mostly ads and reviews of the latest Chinese ARFs. There are often real scratch build articles (with plans to buy) often with something to learn in every one and the free plans are sometimes keepers for future builds (I'm afraid I will never get to those at my rate though). If you want to buy/subscribe to one, I think its one of the better available.
Regards,
-Eric
ohmite is offline Find More Posts by ohmite
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,204 Posts
Couple of questions,the first fairly relevant,the second more out of curiosity.
1 Is there a cog calculator comprehensive enough to take in the Horten like centre of the Leaf and a pod,plus the stood off wing panels?I've seen one with multiple panel facility.

2 I may pose this one in the simulator forum,thought I'd try here first.
I have a version of Xplane on the iPad,good fun.I don't think it has the "build your own plane"function,or I haven't found it as yet.How sophisticated are these things?would it be possible to build and fly the Leaf in a pc version?
Stuart
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Couple of questions,the first fairly relevant,the second more out of curiosity.
1 Is there a cog calculator comprehensive enough to take in the Horten like centre of the Leaf and a pod,plus the stood off wing panels?I've seen one with multiple panel facility.

2 I may pose this one in the simulator forum,thought I'd try here first.
I have a version of Xplane on the iPad,good fun.I don't think it has the "build your own plane"function,or I haven't found it as yet.How sophisticated are these things?would it be possible to build and fly the Leaf in a pc version?
Stuart
Ooooh, you got X-Plane.... That one has been on my "someday" list for some time now. Anyway, to answer your #2 question - http://wiki.x-plane.com/Supplement:_Plane_Maker. It says that their designer software. Plane Maker, is bundled with X-Plane.

From their Wiki linked above -

Plane-Maker Description

Plane-Maker is a program bundled with X-Plane that lets users design their own aircraft—nearly any imaginable aircraft can be built! Once all the physical specifications of the airplane have been entered (weight, wing span, control deflections, engine power, airfoil sections, etc.), the X-Plane simulator will predict how that plane will fly. Airplanes are saved in Plane-Maker just as one would save a word processing file. These files are then opened in X-Plane and flown. Users can create a .zip file of all the components of the airplane and distribute that ZIP on the Internet for others to fly. Planes created by others can also be downloaded and used in the simulator.

Follow that link, I hope it helps. Once you get it built and flying in X-Plane, you can do a video of it and show us all. Oh, and youtube looks to have a bazillon tutorials. just search "plane maker tutorial"

Mark
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,204 Posts
Mark,thanks a lot for the info.The iPad version is just a basic selection of planes,still good though.I'll have to con somebody with a pc into getting it.
Regards Stuart
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,204 Posts
Can anybody tell me what the icons under the rating column mean,and more to the point how they get there.The gold stars I understand;it's the little green thingy,the paper clip and the tick in a box thing that have me puzzled.The reason I ask is my thread on suggestions/complaints seems to be the only one on the page with two of these(paper clip=attachments?)
Regards Stuart
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:47 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
856 Posts
Stuart

Tick in the box means you're subscribed to the thread, the paper clip means the thread contains attachments, the green head and shoulders means you've posted to the thread.

Regards Paul
miniphase is offline Find More Posts by miniphase
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphase View Post
Stuart

Tick in the box means you're subscribed to the thread, the paper clip means the thread contains attachments, the green head and shoulders means you've posted to the thread.

Regards Paul
Thanks Paul
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,204 Posts
I've been following Kents plank thread with great interest,and have also read a lot of Peter Wickes articles and various threads on rcg.With regards to a central fin or wing tips,at what point do the latter become practical-ie what is the smallest amount of sweep that tips could be used with.
Regards Stuart
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,789 Posts
Not to muddy up the question Stuart, but winglets have an added feature over a central fin.....They can be set at an angle to the direction of flight, similar to toe-in on a car. This way even a forward swept wing could get yaw stability from winglets.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:22 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,637 Posts
This plank flew quite well with just the tip fins.
It did have the drag rudders at that time, but the directional stability was fine when no control inputs were being made. Deleting the central fin and rudder had almost no noticeable effect. Maybe I should make a few more test flights with it. The drag rudders have been removed and plain ailerons are installed at this time.

This model has no sweep, no taper and no twist.
HerkS is online now Find More Posts by HerkS