SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:11 PM
Renton, WA
Joined Jan 2010
102 Posts
Help!
new pl8 v2 - bad cell count node wiring xh error.. help?

first time fma user here and just received a new pl8 v2 today. i get a bad cell count node wiring xh error on all my gensace lipos. using the gp/ko parallel safe balance board and discharge leads on a protek 1000w/40a ps. also tried a voltz 350w/23a ps and same issue.

the charger is set to xh mode and have tried a number of different gensace packs from 3s to 6s. my trusty icharger 3010b works just fine on all my packs. have gone through the manual a number of times and searched on this error with no luck. just updated the firmware from v3.25 to v3.30 and still the same issue.

i have no clue what im missing here??
ohsnap is offline Find More Posts by ohsnap
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:46 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
first time fma user here and just received a new pl8 v2 today. i get a bad cell count node wiring xh error on all my gensace lipos. using the gp/ko parallel safe balance board and discharge leads on a protek 1000w/40a ps. also tried a voltz 350w/23a ps and same issue.

the charger is set to xh mode and have tried a number of different gensace packs from 3s to 6s. my trusty icharger 3010b works just fine on all my packs. have gone through the manual a number of times and searched on this error with no luck. just updated the firmware from v3.25 to v3.30 and still the same issue.

i have no clue what im missing here??
Hi:

When you use the Revolectrix adatpers, you need to run the PL in FMA WIRING MODE. The standard and Safe Parallel adapters already convert your XH batteries over to FMA wiring convention. XH WIRING MODE is only used for our newest adapter, the MPA, or people who wire up their own adapters, etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:20 AM
Renton, WA
Joined Jan 2010
102 Posts
hi tim,

thanks for the quick response! i tried fma mode and it states bad cell count node wiring fma. not sure what else to try.

thanks,
joe
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:02 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
hi tim,

thanks for the quick response! i tried fma mode and it states bad cell count node wiring fma. not sure what else to try.

thanks,
joe
Hi:

What preset are you trying to use?

Do you have a volt meter? Can you check the individual cell voltages at the output of the adapter pigtail (unplugged from the PL)? Also, check the pack voltage at the banana plugs (unplugged from the PL).

I recommend you contact Howard Matos at (301) 829-5533.

Tim Marks
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:57 AM
Renton, WA
Joined Jan 2010
102 Posts
was testing on storage as well as high power presets; parallel packs > no, charge rate 2a, discharge rate 10a.

just tried both safe balance boards in parallel using two 6s2600 packs with success. the only difference in setting was parallel packs > 2p. so i guess you cant charge a single pack using the safe balance board?

ive always used the parallel discharge cable with the jst-xh 6s parallel balance cable on my icharger from 1 to 6 packs which was convenient. can i use this same setup with the pl8? i assume ill need an fms to jst adapter for the 6 x 6s parallel balance cable if it works.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:34 AM
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
Quote:
so i guess you cant charge a single pack using the safe balance board?
Yes, you can charge a single pack.... If you had success with 2P charging and can't charge with one pack, that means your PL8 probably was seeing all of the cells in one of the two lipos you were charging. Asumming your packs are all ok, it might be an open circuit on one of the polyfuses on your parallel safe balancing board.

I'd first check across each polyfuse to confirm they are all closed....

Don C
D C is offline Find More Posts by D C
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
Odd, I just saw this on Sunday with my MPA, and coincidentally it was also a gens ace battery. With one specific port on the MPA, it would give me bad cell count. Any other port worked. I switched wires around, etc. to verify that it was just that port. Finally, I unplugged everything, including power from the PL8, and plugged it all back in and then it worked fine.
ToBeFrank is offline Find More Posts by ToBeFrank
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Do you have a volt meter? Can you check the individual cell voltages at the output of the adapter pigtail (unplugged from the PL)?
I'll second this request. If you get this error, its most likely a bad connection on one or more balancing wires/connectors. Checking the voltage at the plug that connects to the charger is the quickest way to isolate which cell is affected.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:58 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Yes, you can charge a single pack.... If you had success with 2P charging and can't charge with one pack, that means your PL8 probably was seeing all of the cells in one of the two lipos you were charging. Asumming your packs are all ok, it might be an open circuit on one of the polyfuses on your parallel safe balancing board.

I'd first check across each polyfuse to confirm they are all closed....

Don C
Hi:

I'd like to confirm the above is sound advice. If the PL is in good working order, then there's no reason it won't charge 1 pack through a Safe Parallel Adapter when you select 1P during start up; particularly if you were successful charging 2.

If you are able to get the PL to verify the cells of a pack when daisy-chaining and charging 2P, this points to:

1) possibly a defective adapter
2) defective, dirty, loose contacts on your battery balance connectors - this is the number 1 reason for Bad Cell Count Safey Code. If you have been charging all of your pack in parallel for a while, you might have bad connector contacts/broken wires, etc, without even realizing it. That could be why it worked when you daisy-chained 2 packs. The charger can't see individual cells of each battery when multiple packs are connected in parallel. Charging parallel masks the problem. It also means you're performing unbalanced charges on the cells with bad balance connections.

This is why I recommended you confirm individual cell voltages using a DVM at the output of the adapter(s), and contact Howard Matos at (301) 829-5533.

It's not likely we'll be able to help you troubleshoot problems via a web forum beyond what I (and others) have written already.

Tim Marks
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:11 PM
Renton, WA
Joined Jan 2010
102 Posts
hey guys,

problem solved, it was a bad safe balance board. spoke to howard this morning and tested each balance board. i tried both boards though i had the mode set to xh when i first tried which didnt help.

thanks again and appreciate all the help!

joe
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:33 AM
Night Flyer
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined May 2005
325 Posts
Bad Balancing Cable

I was chasing the "Bad Cell Count" error last night for a few hours after receiving a new PL6 & MPA. After following the troubleshooting items above and still getting the error, I discovered that the cable that was built incorrectly. Wires were going to the wrong pins on both pugs! I was able to remove the pins from one plug...twice...until it had the correct connections.

Now I'm a happy PL6 owner.

Phil
phil007 is offline Find More Posts by phil007
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:28 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil007 View Post
I discovered that the cable that was built incorrectly. Wires were going to the wrong pins on both pugs!
Phil, where did you purchase the cable from?
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:37 PM
Night Flyer
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined May 2005
325 Posts
Everything was purchased from ProgressiveRC.com and I emailed them last night with the above screenshot. It was an hour after that email that I figured out how to move the wires and found that the other plug was also incorrect. If I don't here back from them today I'll give them a call tomorrow. It will be easy for them to look at their other cables to see if there are any others that are like the one I received.

Phil
phil007 is offline Find More Posts by phil007
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:23 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
We have three cables available, one for use with standard parallel charge boards:
http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-pl8...rge-board.html

One we carry from FMA available for the MPA boards:
http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-pl8...e-for-mpa.html

And finally, there is your cable which was designed for use with our balance boards and which is not currently available for individual order.

Make sure you get your cables straight! Whew, that's confusing .

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member