HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by wamsy55, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:48 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Nice job Wamsy. I personally like having the transmitter in the lower corner. That way I can watch the flying and then rewind and watch the sticks. I think it's cleaner that way.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:17 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,470 Posts
For anyone who has not seen it.

48 Edge Radio View (4 min 36 sec)
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Great video! I found myself backing up the video to either re-watch the plane or your stick movements.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:57 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,103 Posts
Don't know if you guys do this or not but I download the YouTube video then crop the video into new segments of individual maneuvers. Then watch using QuickTime because you can hit pause then using the arrow keys you can advance frame at a time or hold the arrow direction button for slow motion. At least this is how it is done on a Mac. Either way the best way to watch and study.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:17 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,470 Posts
Here is another:

3DHS 48" Edge Radio View 2 (4 min 35 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:47 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,382 Posts
mo betta...

Nice work.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:04 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
yea really nice
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:07 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
Wamsy. I know u have put a lot of it,e into creating these new Real Life videos. I appreciate all the work u have put into this thread. As someone who is attempting to learn, I was able to get a lot more from your original videos.
I understand that the sim is not as accurate as far as flying goes. But in the sim allows you to show the TX sticks moving without any hands in the way, which allows for a greater understanding of what you are actually doing.
Also, the sim allows you to slow everything down so that we can easily learn the individual steps it takes to complete a maneuver. For example, I am having trouble learning how to perform a rolling loop. You show a great example in this video, but for the life of me I am clueless as to what you are actually doing.
Finally I very much appreciated the voice overs you used to do. They really helped t break it down.
Again, thank you for all the work and time you put into this. It is very helpful no matter how you chose to do it!

Cheers!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:25 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,470 Posts
No worries as for true tutorials I will still add the slow motion and the voice over. These videos are just something different.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:48 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
Oh cool! Well in that case, NICE WORK
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:08 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,468 Posts
harrier loops

If you can do rolling or harrier circles already, doing a harrier/rolling loop is pretty much the same thing, at least in terms of how you stir the sticks. A rolling loop is just a rolling circle standing on its edge. The big difference is, you delay where you lead or lag for heading control, by 90 degrees.

Think about a rolling circle first. When doing a rolling circle, you can control the diameter of the circle by leading with the rudder as the plane rolls though the upright and inverted positions. Essentially, you use the rudder to "kick" the nose in towards the center of the circle. You can also accomplish the same thing using the elevator. As the plane rolls through the belly in and belly out knife edge positions, you pull the elevator when belly in, and push the elevator when belly out, to tighten the circle. If you are really flying your model through the entire rolling sequence, you will lead with both the rudder and the elevator.

Now let's transition to the rolling loop. When the plane is upright or inverted, you lead with elevator, instead of rudder, and when the plane is in knife edge you lead with the rudder, instead of the elevator. Kick the nose in towards the center of the loop with rudder, and pull/push the nose in towards the center of the loop with the elevator.

The control inputs are essentially the same either way, you just have to mentally preposition the center point of the circle and practice a lot! I find it helps to focus on just the elevator lead, or just the rudder lead. before trying to combine them.

Of course gravity makes the rolling loop more difficult. You will need lots of throttle while climbing, and much less while coming down.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:25 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
Thanks Brian that was helpful! I do fly a decent rolling circle already and can fly a left circle whether the plane is rolling left or right and vise versa. I do use the stir which includes the rudder but I tend to think about the elevator when I want to change direction.

I will start thinking about the rudder in rolling circle next. Then I will try the loop again. I already knew it was essentially the same thing, but it just hasn't clicked very well yet. I seem to lose control as soon as I head over the top.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Thanks Brian that was helpful! I do fly a decent rolling circle already and can fly a left circle whether the plane is rolling left or right and vise versa. I do use the stir which includes the rudder but I tend to think about the elevator when I want to change direction.

I will start thinking about the rudder in rolling circle next. Then I will try the loop again. I already knew it was essentially the same thing, but it just hasn't clicked very well yet. I seem to lose control as soon as I head over the top.
Man... I struggled with rolling loops for SO long. Even after being completely competeing with rolling harriers in both directions. I can steer just about anywhere I want to go while rolling. BUT doing a rolling loop as just killing me for some reason.

And then I figured it out. For me... it was purely throttle related. I was scared to apply enough throttle to get up and over the top of the loop. I'd give enough to get into my upline but I'd start throttling back too soon because I was scared of coming down too quickly.

I'm still working on them but I can at least get a few decent ones in on every flight now.

I think everyone has a different "a ha!" moment but for me... it was throttle management. If you can steer your rollers wherever you want then you've GOT the timing and orientation issue down... at that point it all becomes throttle management and with throttle management comes the need to vary the speed of your stick movements. And that's really all there is to it.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:12 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
I need an a ha moment for weeble wobbles in mode 1. So Wamsy if you ever have the time on the sim I will send you lots of money
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:15 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
I need an a ha moment for weeble wobbles in mode 1. So Wamsy if you ever have the time on the sim I will send you lots of money
Hey I'd be happy if everything could be done in mode 1 As I have to refigure everything over to mode 1
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX