Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Build Log
scratch build, ww1 style

This is my new model, using my last few scraps of balsa I have left I built this frame for a suspended gondola under a ridged gas cell who's fame is made of hot-glued pond reeds and mylar emergency blankets. This is as far as I have gotten in the past two days of building. I need to wate till summer for the pond reeds to growto their usual 11 foot heights to make the gass cell.
Charlie ricker is offline Find More Posts by Charlie ricker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Inthe first pic, right inline with the epoxy bottle is where I plan to mount the conrtoll board, and the rudder and elevator fins are going to be slung under the balsa frame above (like this german float plane http://www.tayyareci.com/digerucakla...rg_w29-700.JPG)
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Total length is 23 inches long and it is 2x2 inches square. I am goin to have two props driven from a single motor with mini belt drive thing (pullys made in machine shop on the lathe). It is loosly based of the "black eagle"ship from a previous thread but I like the looks of the lz1 through 4 and I designed the gas cell frame on that.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
I have found some intact 11 foot reeds in the pond (using binoculars) and I am going to collect some of the shorter ones and try to make a small scale cell to see if they are able to bend enough when they are dead.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:11 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Looking good
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Got these plans off the internet from airzona models, the "p"type plans. I taped the 8 sheets together to make this to use on making my gas cell frame, because the shapes will be the same.

I have some spare decals from my testors graf zeppelin and a guillows p-51 (made a f-82 twin out of it). Choices choices choices...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
I am a member on a different forum and this build is from a man by the name of allan sherwood, I like his way of constructing the envelope and I am drawing a lot of ideas from his design. Here's the link to his model and he has a video of it flying http://www.airshipmodeler.com/forums...read.php?t=976
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
I picked up 2 mylar emergency blankets at the local fleet farm and a thin of amazing goop to use to bond it together. For the inflation valve, could I cut the valve from a mylar party baloon and goop it to the frame?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ricker View Post
I picked up 2 mylar emergency blankets at the local fleet farm and a thin of amazing goop to use to bond it together. For the inflation valve, could I cut the valve from a mylar party baloon and goop it to the frame?
Yes - allow for enough area around the valve to be cut away - so when bonding it to your envelope - you get a good seal
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Okay, bond on the inside of the envelope I assume? And I've scraped the ridged envleope idea, too heavy. Does anyone know how much 8.9ft³ of helium can lift? I've never realy bothered to look around to find out.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
She holds air!!! One step closer! Walmart has 8.9ft³ tanks of helium for twenty dolars now, using that in the future but for now I am using air t look for leaks.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
7 foot long and 28 inches around.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Nice - only concern is the slimness or small diameter you have for the envelope - your gondola looked a fair size - remember its not just about Helium being lighter than air - its about the displacement where you need large area's where the helium is stored to be able to displace air and generate lift and ability to lift weight - such as gondola - engines...batteries.....etc

You may have to refine your payload and look carefully on how you place your motors - for balance and to allow for stability axially
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Okay, I will re, think the gondola idea. I had a strange dream about a colossal airship, with 11 engines and was able to launch gotha, g3 bombers from the top on a fold out airstrip. The rudders were the most interesting part for there were 4 small engines that moved in sequence with the upright fins, dual elevator flaps. She was called the goliath, and the whole ship was surprisingly nimble, being able to correct for the wind, at a, moments notice when retrieving the aircraft which I was piloting in the dream. Over the trenches and no mans, land.