Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:58 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
336 Posts
Discussion
Stevens Aero S-POU! 2.4

This is not a build log, mainly because I'm ready for the maiden flight. I haven't flown RC since the mid 70's and wanted to get back in the hobby with something simple. The "Flying Flea" has always intriqued me and when I found the SA line of kits included two versions of it I was hooked. The kit just about fell together. Ya gotta love laser cut kits!

The only problem I ran into was with the RC system. I purchased all the recommended components and installed them as directed. Unfortunately the elevator/wing pitch control does not work. When I first hooked everything up, the "elevator" servo on the PC board went full aft and has stayed there since. Nothing I've tried has induced it to move. I have given up trying to use this function and have decided to fly the plane with rudder and throttle only.

The plane ballances where indicated on the plan and at the positions printed on the wing parts. it glides quite a ways in a straight line when hand launched and I'm confident I can fly it in my back yard or at a nearby soccer field.

The plane came out at 1.7oz. The advertised weight is 1.4oz. I covered the entire top surface of the wings instead of just the areas over the ribs as shown on the plans. I have lots of troubles handling this super lite film covering and gave up trying to do it as it needs to be done for the lower weight. I also added two 1/8" square balsa braces in the rear fuselage to support the sides. I was afraid of crushing the fuse since there would have been no support at the bottom of the fuse.

We're in for a couple of days of high winds. As soon as it clears I'll take the Flea out and see if I still know how to do this. I'll send pics befor and during the maiden.

This kit already impresses me so much that I've ordered the larger S-POU (300) version.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:24 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,115 Posts
ulpilotrmh,

Have you solved the servo problem? You may have to send the brick back for replacement. If it's an AR6400, Horizon Hobby is pretty good on exchanges. Call them first.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:57 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
846 Posts
FYI. Here is a thread that I and others have used to talk about the S-Pou! 2.4

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=s+pou
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:14 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
ulpilotrmh,

Have you solved the servo problem? You may have to send the brick back for replacement. If it's an AR6400, Horizon Hobby is pretty good on exchanges. Call them first.

Jim R.
Hey Jim,

I'm just gonna fly it throttle and rudder only. As I mentioned before, the plane glides well and straight. I had to glue the wing incedent in place and hope it works by adjusting the throttle. I don't think I'll have this problem with the larger S-POU! (300).

Much too windy today and tomorrow to test fly the plane.

Russ
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:21 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,115 Posts
ulpilotrmh,

Good luck with rudder-only (and throttle).

I had the rudder servo on the brick in my Vapor jam hard over to the right, when I commanded full right at the transmitter (DX8). It stayed there, unless I rotated the spur gear with my fingers. And repeat. The solution was to dig into the menu and find throw adjustment. I reduced right rudder from 100% right to 80%. That cured the problem. You should try that on your elevator servo. Unstick the servo first, by rotating the gear, then apply limited throw adjustment.

Jim R.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:36 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,797 Posts
Russ,

I just built the larger version (S-Pou 300). I'll post some pics later. 25-35mph winds right now, I don't think it can handle winds this high..

This was my first SA build. Very impressed with the kit.
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:20 PM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
Hey there.. I agree with Jim. Please check your throws and see if that resolves the problem.

Keep us updated..

Mark
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:37 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
336 Posts
Okay, to keep everyone up to date, nothing I tried would loosen the "Elevator" servo, so I removed the linkage and CA'd the wing tilt to what I hope is a flyable position. Altitude adjustment will be done with the throttle. Another cold front will pass thru this area overnight, so the winds will probably remain too strong for flying the plane. Will keep you posted.

The SPOU! (300) kit should be here tomorrow. If there's interest I'll start a build log.

Russ
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:50 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,797 Posts
Sure. Here's my 300 S-Pou completed. Not yet flown. AUW is about 7 oz. with a 3-cell 430mah lipo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:03 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,115 Posts
Steve Merrill,

That's a fine 300 S-POU. What's the motor and prop?

I have the UM S-POU, and I've flown it in an indoor basketball court. It took considerable time for me to get it trimmed out. It's also a bit too fast for my ancient reflexes.

Jim R...
...growing more ancient every day...
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,797 Posts
Thanks Jim,

The motor is the recommended, Suppo BL 1510-15. You can get it cheaper at:

www.rchotdeals.com.

The prop is a 6 x 4
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:46 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
336 Posts
Well I have the fuselage and tail assembled and will start the wings tomorrow. I'll take some pics before I start covering.

For those who were looking for a comprehensive build log, I refer you to the following link that is of the build manual for this kit.

http://tinyurl.com/84msbbu

I am building the kit as shown in the manual with one exception (So Far).

I know the servo that tilts the wing protrudes to the outside of the fuse to simplify the control linkage and save a little weight. I intend to move the servo to the inside of the fuse. I have an idea of how I can do this and will document it when I get to it.

Russ
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill View Post
Sure. Here's my 300 S-Pou completed. Not yet flown. AUW is about 7 oz. with a 3-cell 430mah lipo
Nice covering job.

Russ
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:03 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
336 Posts
Okay, the S-POU is finished! As soon as we have a nice calm evening I'll maiden it. It's almost always calm in the morning here, but there's always a very heavy dew.

The model came out at 1.59oz, almost .2 oz over weight! I don't see this as a problem, but I guess we'll see.

Russ
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:37 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
336 Posts
In reading back thru the posts I noticed in #12 that I was wrighting of the S-POU (300) and not the smaller S-POU. I am building both at the same time and confused myself. Sorry.

Russ