HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,783 Posts
Discussion
Prop Slot Noise Reduction Design and Tests

My thanks to Robin Bennett for the following explanation that makes sense:

Originally Posted by RobinBennett
Noise is just alternating high and low pressure air. There's a low pressure area above an aerofoil (in the case of the prop, 'above' means 'in front') - there's also a high pressure area behind a prop, but it's not as powerful.

In free space, the low pressure region just moves around and can be averaged out to nothing, but the high and low pressure regions can't cross from one side of the obstruction to the other - they get broken up and have to reform, leading to the overall pressure going up and down over each revolution.

Added additional test video on 3/9/2012.

I fly next to an equestrian center and some of my prop slot planes are just too loud for the environment and the horses. I had read several threads on prop slot noise and saw no consistent solution so I set out to do my own experiments.

I have a plane, shaped as a duck, that has the motor in the head at the end of a long neck. This plane is quiet and has smooth airflow ahead and behind the propeller. I concluded this was my best platform for the experiments.

I cut shapes from 6mm Depron to test. I did baseline tests with a straight edge. What I found surprised me. There is noise due to prop slot proximity on both the front and the back sides of the prop. The back or downwind side will have minimum slot induced noise if the slot is at a constant distance to the prop, 13% of the prop diameter. The front of the prop has a little louder effect from slot proximity but the effect varies depending on the distance from the prop center. Near the center, the slot should be 10% of the prop diameter away. Over the outer 40% of the prop diameter the slot should be 22% of the prop diameter away from the prop. I did some tip experiments and the slot should be 5% of the prop diameter away from the tip.

I have included a video of my tests and a drawing of what I found to be the ideal shape that can be sized to any prop diameter. I have tested this shape on my large and small foamies and have verified its shape as a solution to prop slot noise. The reduction in noise also gave a boost to aircraft speed; prop pressure gradients are more smooth.

I replaced the original drawing to clarify the direction of airflow.

Prop Slot Noise Reduction by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 42 sec)

Supplemental Test: The effects of slot thickness, angle and jagged edge.

Prop Slot Noise Reduction: Part 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 29 sec)

Some interesting questions have been asked about the effects of slot thickness and angle so I took the duck down off the wall again and ran a few tests to determine the effects. Like in the first tests, I ran the duck to full power and moved a straight piece in front and behind the prop. I tested 6mm Depron, 3mm Depron and thin aluminum sheet.

To my surprise, it did not matter how thick the straight slot edge was, it generated the same amount of noise at the same distances to the prop, whether from the front or behind the prop.

Angle also did not effect noise level nor did a jagged edge.

Conclusion: So making the area around the slot thinner or shaping it to an aerodynamic, low drag, shape will have no effect on slot noise.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; May 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: New drawing
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Oct 2011
157 Posts
Otto, thanks for taking the time to study this, I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for a solution to excessive noise of the prop in slot.

Your video of the tests is showing very well what I think is a dramatic improvement in noise levels.

Thank you for sharing!
bikerboy_id is online now Find More Posts by bikerboy_id
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
That is neat!!!
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,880 Posts
Thank you Otto. Very practical work.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:31 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
Cool, can't wait to try it out. I've avoided most prop in slot designs because of the awful noise they make.
Dave Barrow is online now Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:48 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,272 Posts
Another Gem of a thread Otto . Nice work as usual
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:23 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,390 Posts
Cool work Otto. Have you tested in-flight vs static yet?
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
Addicted and loving it
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts
Very cool info Otto. Thanks alot for posting. I would be very curious to know if there was an effect on current draw or on thrust. Seems like all that noise has to indicate a loss of power somewhere.
billman is offline Find More Posts by billman
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Cool work Otto. Have you tested in-flight vs static yet?
Yep. I've tried it on my two mini wings and my huge Delta Dart. Now all three just give normal motor/prop noise. The Dart was interesting because the motor is in the middle of the X in the fuse. Now that both slots are shaped it is quite a good neighbor in the community.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Witch over San Diego
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billman View Post
Very cool info Otto. Thanks alot for posting. I would be very curious to know if there was an effect on current draw or on thrust. Seems like all that noise has to indicate a loss of power somewhere.
Do not have an answer on the current draw. The three planes I have modified all seem to fly smoother and have more pep. My 3s mini wing really seemed to benefit although it was already fast. The noise reduction on all three is very significant.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Witch over San Diego
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Yep. I've tried it on my two mini wings and my huge Delta Dart. Now all three just give normal motor/prop noise. The Dart was interesting because the motor is in the middle of the X in the fuse. Now that both slots are shaped it is quite a good neighbor in the community.
WOW, that is amazing

are you going to try this on the fly people as well?

Thanks
Doug
DouglasMorency is offline Find More Posts by DouglasMorency
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:56 PM
USA, TX, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
It's great to have someone like you on this forum to have so much knowledge and glad to share with everyone. Thanks again for all you do for all of us!
red70 is offline Find More Posts by red70
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:09 PM
E28
United States, AL, Troy
Joined May 2011
123 Posts
Is the prop on that duck turning as a tractor, pulling away from the chair?
E28 is offline Find More Posts by E28
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:34 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,272 Posts
Nope its a mexican duck . they fly backwards
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:20 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Good test Otto, clearly shows the noise source and how the bowtie is quieter.

A different noise reduction shape was reported about a year ago but I haven't seen any follow ups on showing it really works. Perhaps with your set up, you could verify the claim???? From this post.
"I do exactly the opposite, and make the slot a football shape. Mine was nearly silent, much quieter than the bowtie shape you tested in the youtube video you posted. Same prop. Maybe try that out as well."
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy