SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:12 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,843 Posts
Help!
DJI Naza wind issue!!!! (help needed with throttle up issue in wind)

Apparently there aren't many people following my build thread so I decided to make a new one in order to get help with my issue.

Today there was almost no wind, so I took Quady out to an open field. There was a light breeze there, but nothing too serious. Now before I start praising the Naza, I want to ask all the people who have a Naza and know configuring it to read below and help me get over a slight problem that I am having.

In video you will see a strange behavior from the Naza. As I slide it to the left, towards the breeze, at some point it would shake and throttle up like crazy for about 30 meters until I drop the throttle and take it down. Sometimes it does that pretty violently, the last two times it happened were almost together, I still hadn't taken it down from the first shoot up, when it did it again and it went up even higher to the point where it became not bigger than a coin from where I was standing. From the on-board camera I can tell that it rose as high as an 8 story building. You can see what I am talking about in the video below at: 0:10 mins, 0:35 mins, 1:25 mins, 2:58 mins, 6:55 mins and 7:18 mins.

I noticed that this only happened when I gave it more slide, if I move it very gently against the wind it doesn't do it, only when I try to move quickly against the wind. When I came back home I noticed that there was absolutely no wind in the yard so I flew the quad here. It didn't even need any trim, it was rock solid, I throttled it up and down, slide left and right, absolutely no shaking or throttling up on its own. It was really stable.

If anyone has any idea how I may be able to overcome this, or if it is even possible to overcome it, I would very much appreciate any advice.

Now to get back to the good stuff. The controller is amazing, when there was no breeze it was rock solid. The on-board video still has jello, but I have yet to address this issue. Overall, I am really happy with how it performs in calmer weather and I can definitely see why it costs as much. I played a little with the manual mode, it is quite different than the ATTI mode, more like the HK controller, but not as aggressive. It is interesting that in Manual it hovers between 40% and 45% throttle.

A friend of mine was there with his HoverFly Pro Hexa, that thing didn't care there was wind, it stayed bolted in one place, really stable, no shaking, I can see why it costs twice as much as the Naza, and that board will be the heart of my future octo build.

Quadcopter /w DJI Naza (modified x600 frame, outdoor testing and weird throttling) (9 min 8 sec)
Arxangel is online now Find More Posts by Arxangel
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:30 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
I do not know, my quad with Naza in ATTI mode in the wind does not change altitude more than maybe 1-2 meters at worst, see test video below and look at the flag across the canal to get an idea of the wind speed. Maybe your gains are too high?

Test video: Witespy quad with Naza flight controller (1 min 58 sec)
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,843 Posts
You seem to be having a lot less vibrations going to the camera than me. How did you mount it? Also I noticed that you didn't move the quad a lot, try moving at an average pace against the wind, mine is stable when it is stationary or moving very slowly. My basic gains are 113%, yaw is 40%, vertical is 130%, altitude gains are around 70%.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:02 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
The camera mount is very primitive, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4075.

The gains on my Naza are :

Basic Gain: Pitch 140%, Roll 140%, Yaw 125%, Vertical 75%
ATTI Gain: Pitch 100%, Roll 100%,
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,843 Posts
So, it is quite possible that this issue is caused simply by the wind and that this size of multi-rotor handles this way in wind. I will still have to put a dome over it to lessen the effects on the barometer from the wind and then try it and see if there is a difference.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:30 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
I have flown in 10 msek with no issus at all just rock solid!! so my guess is that its your setup or even your naza that the problem!

I hope you fix it because its a blast flying
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:28 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
So, it is quite possible that this issue is caused simply by the wind and that this size of multi-rotor handles this way in wind. I will still have to put a dome over it to lessen the effects on the barometer from the wind and then try it and see if there is a difference.
It is also possibly due to the fact that I have 75% gain for vertical, and you have almost twice the gain at 130%!! I would try to gradually lower it, and see what happens.....
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
It is also possibly due to the fact that I have 75% gain for vertical, and you have almost twice the gain at 130%!! I would try to gradually lower it, and see what happens.....
That regulates at which throttle position you get altitude hold, according to Naza manual it should be when throttle is at 50%. I have it at 130, because there I have altitude hold at 50%, doesn't affect other performance. I will need to get a dome.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
I do not know, yes the vertical gain does that but the manual (which is poorly written) also states that it affects change in altitude during forward flight and sensitivity to the throttle stick movements, see note 2), last paragraph, page 16.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,843 Posts
If tomorrow the weather is calm, I will take my laptop outside and play with the settings, problem is calm weather is fine and doesn't cause the issue. I will probably have to tune it anyway since I will be using mainly 2s li-pos with the 10x4.5 props from now on. Feels much more easier to fly that way.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:57 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Sure, I hope you find a solution. I do not know if it is a feasible possibility to test in your quad model in addition to changing gain settings, but in general smaller props increase headspeed and decrease sensitivity to wind. Good luck.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
Sure, I hope you find a solution. I do not know if it is a feasible possibility to test in your quad model in addition to changing gain settings, but in general smaller props increase headspeed and decrease sensitivity to wind. Good luck.
I am planing on testing FPV, AP, AV, on this frame, so I need slow fly props, the 8x4 would be high RPM. I will order new carbon reinforced 10x4.5 props and they should cause less vibrations since they are quite stiff. Will have to wait and see.