HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Nobby33, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:17 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
More awesome Spit flights and a Cub crash!

So yesterday morning, I took the Parkzone Spitfire Mk II out for a few flights. It was pretty overcast and about 06h45 in the morning, with a little wind. I am finding it easier and easier to hand launch, as long as you give a good shove, there are no problems.

Soon the Spit was dancing across the sky. There is a unfriendly hawk that has come to dogfight on a few occasions when I have flown the Cub, and sure enough he showed his face and tried to take on the Spit. We had an epic dogfight, that lasted about a minute, in the end I think he realized that my prop could do him so damage and so he flew away.

After using up my two batteries, I took out the Cub for a flight. The intention was to do some circuits and to land on the cricket pitch a few times. I was on a downwind run, ready to turn back into the wind to come and land, and had I about 40% throttle, I started turning to the left, applied some up elevator to kick the tail around and then she stalled. I guess i was a bit heavy on the stick, I tried to catch it and almost did, but I was not high enough and the Cub hit the ground pretty hard, at a 45 degree angle. No real damage, just cracked the plastic cowl.

I was pretty embarrassed actually... very stupid mistake, and I guess it comes down to the fact that I was over confident. Its a good thing it happened with the Cub and not the Spit.

This morning the wind was to heavy for the Cub, but I had two more awesome Spitfire flights.

Happy flying!

Nobby
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:40 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,172 Posts
Sounds like with the Cub you fell into the trap of allowing the airspeed to fall dangerously low as you came downwind.
Lots of ground-speed, marginal airspeed.
The result is that as soon as you do anything, like start a turn, the plane instantly stalls.
You also need to start your turn early because the plane must be allowed to drift down-wind during the turn. A good down-wind turn will not look like a good still-air turn.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:01 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Thanks for the info, will keep that in mind!
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33