HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Suggestion
Infraction appeal

I tried posting this in the appeals section, but it says I do not have sufficient privileges...Not sure why that is.

This is the post I'm referring to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post20343883

I was told to modify my post because I was rude to the person I was responding to. I was going to just delete it, but the option wasn't there, so I just put a "..." in there. I thought it was humorous because I was, in fact, being censored, and for good reason. I got an additional infraction for this and the moderators note said

Quote:
Reason: Offensive content (Profanity)
The post contains language presumed to be considered offensive by a majority of our users, or the poster has deliberately circumvented the swear word filter by misspelling a word, substituting certain characters, or crafting an abbreviation. If the offending word can be determined by context then this warning can apply. The sole exception to the abbreviation clause is "BS," which is deemed acceptable in abbreviated form only, and only in the context of "falseness."

The moderator who warned you entered this comment:
-------
Your ability to edit this post has been revoked.
So...if I understand this correctly, the use of the smiley is considered the use of profanity on RCG, which is prohibited? If so, then why do you have it available on the site to be used? Also why is it used so freely without infractions given? It sounds to me like the mod that gave me my original infraction just got offended by my modification quickly without thinking for one second about what content the smiley was used in. This is just plain silly.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:26 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
The issue was with your quote. It is loaded with circumvented swear words.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
The issue was with your quote. It is loaded with circumvented swear words.
Interesting...Well, if the mod would've pointed that out to me, instead of being so cryptic, I would've deleted the quote from within my post. To be honest, I didn't even realize it was there when I edited it.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
You can now edit that post if you like.
Administrator
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Thanks, Jim. It's all taken care of now.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Thanks. Have a great day!
Administrator
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Hi Jim...Me again...

It looks like someone decided to hit me for another post, in the same thread, for the same reason, and I can't edit the post. That thread hasn't been posted to since January 8th... Shouldn't the mods be spending their time worrying about bigger issues than this? I used to moderate a fairly large forum and I would never waste my time on stuff like this...especially when the thread has been dead for 2 months. Here's the link to the post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post20344739
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
I can see why that was reported. That quote is suggestive, has profanity, a group attack and what appears to be a violent threat. It is a vast cornucopia of possible points. Allowing posts like that to stand is not something we can do. Ultimately it is the profanity that is being warned but the rest isn't good to have visible on the site either. Please refrain from quoting posts like this in the future. You should be able to edit that now.
Administrator
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
I will not quote things like that in the future. But, like I said earlier, I didn't even realize the content that caused the infraction in the post that I edited was the quote. I tried to do the right thing today by editing it and it caused me an additional infraction. If the mod understood that I was trying to fix the issue, then wouldn't it make more sense to send me a PM and explain what the issue was? They could have also just deleted the offensive text that I obviously missed. It just seems like it wasted an awful lot of our time with the way it was handled.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Quote:
I tried to do the right thing today by editing it and it caused me an additional infraction.
After you edit a post your infraction is removed.

Quote:
If the mod understood that I was trying to fix the issue, then wouldn't it make more sense to send me a PM and explain what the issue was?
Moderators do not handle moderation via PM. Everything they do must be trackable and transparent so admins of the site can see what has been done.

Quote:
They could have also just deleted the offensive text that I obviously missed.
Moderators never delete or edit a users content. That is a big rule at RCG.

Quote:
It just seems like it wasted an awful lot of our time with the way it was handled.
The good news is the offensive content no longer exists and you have not active points. We appreciate your time and your edit.
Administrator
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Jim, do me a favor and thank the mod responsible for giving me yet another infraction for a thread that has been dead for 2 months. This is getting old and, if these infractions were so bad, then they should've been taken care of at the same time that you posted in the thread and said you banned the person we were arguing with. You read the thread back then, you saw that the person was ripping people off and creating multiple accounts, and some of my posts were tagged as inappropriate then. Why are others being tagged two months later? I was reading a thread yesterday that not only had multiple curse words on it, but condecending racial comments about Asian people in it...not one infraction. Perhaps one of your mods would've found it of they weren't so busy handing infractions out for dead threads? I could've reported it, but I've been too busy deleting posts I made two months ago during a heated argument with a person that was committing fraud to the members of your forum. If you have a mod who, for some strange reason, has a plan to ban me; then just do it already and stop these silly games.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:44 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Quote:
Jim, do me a favor and thank the mod responsible for giving me yet another infraction for a thread that has been dead for 2 months. This is getting old and, if these infractions were so bad, then they should've been taken care of at the same time that you posted in the thread and said you banned the person we were arguing with.
Moderators only look at posts that are warned. Based on the previous two posts you were warned for they needed to be reported.

Quote:
I was reading a thread yesterday that not only had multiple curse words on it, but condecending racial comments about Asian people in it...not one infraction.
Please report posts that you feel break site rules.

Quote:
Perhaps one of your mods would've found it of they weren't so busy handing infractions out for dead threads?
Our moderators receive pages of warnings everyday to look at and take action on. The posts you were warned for did need to be edited. Thank you for doing so.

Quote:
If you have a mod who, for some strange reason, has a plan to ban me; then just do it already and stop these silly games.
I'm certain our moderators have no idea who you are so I doubt anyone is out to get you. It is the content of your posts that they have an issue with. Thank you for editing your posts. You have no active warnings at this time.
Administrator
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Moderators only look at posts that are warned. Based on the previous two posts you were warned for they needed to be reported.

Please report posts that you feel break site rules.

Our moderators receive pages of warnings everyday to look at and take action on. The posts you were warned for did need to be edited. Thank you for doing so.

I'm certain our moderators have no idea who you are so I doubt anyone is out to get you. It is the content of your posts that they have an issue with. Thank you for editing your posts. You have no active warnings at this time.
I could understand this if the forum was moderated by robots, but some human thinking should go on, too. Are you telling me that the moderators have to give an infraction for every post reported? If not, then what kind of person looks at a post where I call a person a "moron" who committed fraud to this forums members, and thinks "That's horrible that he attacked that poor fraudster in such a manner! He deserves an infraction for that!" I could see the infraction if I used obscenities, but I called a person committing fraud to your members a moron. Whatever...I'm done with this. If you guys feel that every reported post should be given an infraction, regardless of the context, then get ready to hire some more mods... I'm about to wear out that report button for every post that violates the rules in the slightest. Looks like I found a new hobby.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Quote:
Are you telling me that the moderators have to give an infraction for every post reported?
No, but they do have to look at every post that is reported and make a determination if the post breaks a rule. If the post does break a rule then they issue a warning and a point.

Quote:
I'm about to wear out that report button for every post that violates the rules in the slightest. Looks like I found a new hobby.
We appreciate it when users report posts that break site rules. Users that abuse the report button can be issued 3 points per violation. Use the report button only when you feel a post breaks a site rule.
Administrator
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
No, but they do have to look at every post that is reported and make a determination if the post breaks a rule. If the post does break a rule then they issue a warning and a point.

We appreciate it when users report posts that break site rules. Users that abuse the report button can be issued 3 points per violation. Use the report button only when you feel a post breaks a site rule.
Ok...So at least I know there's no human aspect to the infraction process, and I'll try my hardest not to even come close to breaking one of the "exhaustive list of rules for the site" from now on. It really is a shame, though, because you guys will lose, and probably already have lost, some very good contributors over an "exhaustive list of rules for the site".