HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:58 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,520 Posts
Discussion
Blade SR conversion

I was wondering about converting one of these to a fixed pitch 45 degree fly bar. One could simply set the CP and leave it, but what about the flybar? I am looking for the stability of a 120SR but at a larger size. Any ideas or experiences out there?
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:42 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
There are no head assemblies that will work and reducing pitch so it acts like an FP heli won't accomplish anything. If you want a larger FP heli with lots of mechanical stabilization, Double Horse makes several models. But, be aware that these are very low cost helis and have their share of issues. A flybarless heli is probably your best option, but it will require some practice to get used to the response.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I was wondering about converting one of these to a fixed pitch 45 degree fly bar. One could simply set the CP and leave it, but what about the flybar? I am looking for the stability of a 120SR but at a larger size. Any ideas or experiences out there?
Why? Just buy a 120SR or learn to fly the CP heli.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:19 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
There are no head assemblies that will work and reducing pitch so it acts like an FP heli won't accomplish anything. If you want a larger FP heli with lots of mechanical stabilization, Double Horse makes several models. But, be aware that these are very low cost helis and have their share of issues. A flybarless heli is probably your best option, but it will require some practice to get used to the response.
I want to stay with Spectrum compatible stuff with parts availability. Won't flybarless make it less stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
Why? Just buy a 120SR or learn to fly the CP heli.
I have a 120SR, and an msr and cx2's. That's not my point. Blade does not make anything in this size fixed pitch and it would be easier for me to see being larger. I'm not sure I can do CP unless I got a flymentor or something like that although that is an option. Been working on it in the simulator and I sure enjoy flying the 120sr much more since its easier to control. I would be a bundle of nerves with the CP rig and what fun is that? THUS.... my question. I may have an option to acquire one of these and am just talking about it in advance.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:18 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I don't think you will find many helis less stable than an SR. Old style, 300 size CP helis were always squirrelly handling. The changes they made to the SR made it mushy as well. Flybarless helis have very crisp response, due to the direct linkage between the swashplate and head. They also have higher headspeed to compensate for some of the flybar function that's lost. Beyond that, they have multiple axis gyros and flybarless stabilization systems that make them a lot smoother and more predictable. Having no flybar reduces the parts count quite a lot, too.

Your best option IMO, is the Blade MCPx. It's all plastic, vinyl and CF and doesn't weigh hardly anything, so it's extremely durable. You can do a lot of crashing with little to no damage. With the right Tx settings, it's pretty easy to get used to, coming from a 120SR. It beats the hell out of anything you could do to an SR to make it enjoyable.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:33 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,520 Posts
I guess I am using the wrong term. Instead of 'stable' I should be saying maybe 'self righting' as in what the 45 degree flybar does. If I get a ways away in the sim I loose orientation and have no idea what the heli is doing.... resulting in a crash. That's where the self righting comes into play for me. I see what you mean though about fly bar less. Guess I still have the mindset of finding something that flies like a 45 degree flybar. Looks like I am getting the SR though..... trading the msr off for it. Should have it this afternoon. I will give it a shot.....
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:48 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Self-righting is more a function of gravity than anything else. FP helis with 45 offset heads or flybars tend to have more linkage points and a longer vertical CoG (relative to their mass). They also have the battery directly below the main shaft. This configuration creates a nice plumb-bob. FP helis with convex blades have low headspeed, so less torque to overcome. Coupled with the movement deadening provided by the out-of-phase condition, created by the 45 offset, gives you a heli that will attempt to remain level.

CP helis can fly inverted, making a shorter CoG and more neutral battery placement important. The result is they don't much care about being level. The Walkera Genius has accelerometers that will provide this function. FlyMentor, CoPilot2 and other add-ons provide ground sensing capabilities to attempt to remain level with the plane. Beyond that, your best bet by far is a quad.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,520 Posts
Interesting..... so if I am not interested in flying inverted for now, mounting the battery on bottom may provide a bit of what I am looking for.....
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Interesting..... so if I am not interested in flying inverted for now, mounting the battery on bottom may provide a bit of what I am looking for.....
It may help a bit. You still have high headspeed (torque) and lots of movement authority to overcome.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:12 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
What about a CB180 head and fp blades sourced from something the correct rotor span.

Haven't looked into shaft diameter detail etc but it is a larger 45 degree setup.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:21 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,433 Posts
I have a CB180 and it is a pleasure to fly.

Before modifying your SR may I suggest setting it up as a fixed pitch heli.

If you have an adjustable transmitter set it up with a low value of constant pitch in order to keep the headspeed up, but slow enough at hover so that full throttle still gives good vertical acceleration.

In this mode the SR has a nice 'floaty' feel.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:37 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
What about a CB180 head and fp blades sourced from something the correct rotor span.

Haven't looked into shaft diameter detail etc but it is a larger 45 degree setup.

Amp
I will measure the shaft and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I have a CB180 and it is a pleasure to fly.

Before modifying your SR may I suggest setting it up as a fixed pitch heli.

If you have an adjustable transmitter set it up with a low value of constant pitch in order to keep the headspeed up, but slow enough at hover so that full throttle still gives good vertical acceleration.

In this mode the SR has a nice 'floaty' feel.
This sounds like what I will probably do for now, just to get it hovering. I need to go through the whole heli and check it all out since I am not familiar with this type of machine. I have been able to hover on the sim so maybe CP is not out of reach. Time will tell. Thanks guys.