HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2001, 06:06 PM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
How many times have you "ressurected" a plane?

My AquaStar has been recovered in monocote 3 times,totalled in crashes twice,squished the bottom of the plane in a few times in botched touch& goes (skim the grass or asphalt and usually come back up)...

This last crash was again to a stupid mistake I should have known better..I wont go into it I dont want to feel dumb all over again,but lets just suffice it to say that it included a roof as one of the objects the plane smacked on the way down.

...But its repaired and will see the sky again! Will anything stop such a monster?
KMKAZE is offline Find More Posts by KMKAZE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2001, 07:03 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Don't feel so bad. My Herr Star Cruiser went through about 5 crashes until I finally checked the CG (duh!!!). It was way too far back. Each time I had to completely rebuild the plane from the cockpit forward. Flies great now. Just got to get those learning mistakes out of our system then we can have fun.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
Old Jul 11, 2001, 07:24 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
I wasn't going to mention it because sometimes I feel like I'm tooting my own horn here too much, but I am in the midst of 'resurrecting' my crashed Herr Piper Cherokee. I had previously reported that it was totalled and beyond repair. Well after a month or so I decided to begin stripping it down to have a look. So far I have put both broken halves of the wing back together, replaced both leading edges, a few ribs, all the turbulator spars and some center sheeting. I'm just about done re-covering it in the same material and I tell you, it's gonna look great. Now I'm optimistic about the rest of the plane. The fuselage will have to undergo similar drastic measures.

You gotta love balsa for repairability.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jul 11, 2001, 08:04 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,458 Posts
My Aqua Star was 'totaled'. Put it away for awhile.

Then I made a new front end out of pink foam, added a S400 EDF and called it a foamie, fannie feenix.

Not surprising, the EDF version doesn't have the climbability as the prop version had but I still like the EDF better.

It sounds so coooool

Flies just fine,
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 11, 2001, 08:52 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I had a very steep learning curve with my Twister. Had to do major rebuilds 4 times and numerous repairs, including a new fuse. I had flown a PJC and the CG was not nearly as critical, though foam is a lot more tolerant the FG and bagged wings. Like , Foxtrot it was 98% Cg related. Now that I have it dialed in it is my most flown power planes. Love this hobby.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jul 12, 2001, 02:11 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2001
221 Posts
I'm about to break out the ceremonial chicken bones and a fresh tube of CA to ressurect my Dymond Cessna 150 for the 4th time. It's my first RC plane, and I thought it'd be a good test bed to develop my flying skills (which it is), but it's turning out to be an even better tool to enhance my building skills! The first 3 deaths were from 2 angry (and tall) trees and a baseball backstop. This last time was from my own stupidity - after having about a dozzen really successful flights I flew a pass directly overhead, got disoriented and flew the sucker right into an asphalt sidewalk - ouch.

Oh well, it's all fun!!
shv2sail is offline Find More Posts by shv2sail
Old Jul 13, 2001, 03:32 AM
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Joined May 2001
79 Posts
I started out with a Dymond Take it Easy.
It is very nice to fly, and it has chrashability.
That was untill I flew it through a fence on a downwind leg in 8mph wind and broke the wing. Then my _real_ repair scholl started.
Since that repair, the wing kept breaking at the weak spot on heavy landings, and it totalled? when the wing gave up 150 meters up pulling out of a loop. On second thought, it might not have been totalled, guess that it was repairable, but I was lazy and rich, and bought a replacement wing.
One of the tricks I've learned: Save the ribs, scan them on the pc, use the photo software to put together an outline, print it, and use this as template for cutting new ribs.
Visit http://www.zorck.dk/rc for some reapir pics.

I bought a EPP slope bird (Bullit) and this one saved me a lot of repairs on my other planes.

JJ
JensJakob is offline Find More Posts by JensJakob