SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: With the impending release of the Tempest, what Dynam Warbird would you like next?
Bristol Beaufighter 50 15.87%
Bf 110 49 15.56%
Curtiss P-40 39 12.38%
P-38 Lightning 46 14.60%
Mitsubishi Zero 37 11.75%
de Havilland Mosquito 43 13.65%
Grumman F7F Tigercat 51 16.19%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:30 AM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctordug View Post
Ha.Funny you started this thread.I have the mustang and the spitfire.I removed the metal parts of the landing gear so i can easily bend it back on a regular basis.unless there is no wind then landing is much better.Took a minute to get the stang going.I ended up using the thunderbird54esc and c3542 1250kv motors on both and the 3s batteries run like bats out of .... I also coated both with packing tape.really seems to make them fly better and faster.Learned by accident by rebuilding it a couple times.I thought the tape being heavier would drag it down.but much the opposite.I do run the 11x8 3 blade prop. I had a gear come loose on the spit. and took a minute to figure how to tighten it,but there is little allens in the brass hole on the side of the landing gear. At least the spit came with lighter plastic pieces on the landing gear. I'm thinking about doing a spring heat temper process on the struts so the don't bend so much. heat them till there glowing red.dip them in water to cool them. then heat them to glowing red again then dip them in (I use engine oil mixed with transmission oil)or used motor oil.It turns them into spring metal.supposed told its flex alot better.
I have been lucky with the retracts on the spitfire so far. They have not bent at all. I really think that running flaps helps in that department as it slows it down so much that you don't hit with much force at all.

On the Texan however, the landing gear has bent from day 1. It is not a big issue as you just bend it back into place, but it still is a bit annoying. I don't have flaps on the Texan either, so I normall come in a bit faster as the wing does not produce as much lift without the flaps.

One of the retracts on the Texan has stopped working and it is stuck up, so I can't even fly it with the lg down. So annoying. I wish they would just work all the time, not whenever they feel like it. Frustrating!
Merlin Power is online now Find More Posts by Merlin Power
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
804 Posts
We are the winners

This hobby has come along way in just a couple of years , in leaps and bounds in the short time I've gotten in to it. Dynam has made affordable planes, but they weren't the best at scale looks, and there packaging wasn't alot to be desired. All the players in this market are stepping up there game, and putting a better product out on the market , and they all have there good points ,and bad. Dynam has done better on there packaging and on scale looks(except for there pilots) ,and because most of you guys upgreaded to 4cell lipos, they have started to do the same wich means they listening to the guys in the field or there suppliers, and they have done this with out jacking up the prices, wich in this economy is saying something. With this competative market ,We are the winners. Thanks to companies like Dynam .( Don't mean to get on my soapbox for capitalism and the free market) But darn if it's not awsome to be in this hobby now and see what there coming out with next.
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:18 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangloyd View Post
.( Don't mean to get on my soapbox for capitalism and the free market) But darn if it's not awsome to be in this hobby now and see what there coming out with next.
It is amazing what has come out in the last few years. I've only been flying RC for about 4 years and when I started the only foam planes available were the old crappy brushed PZ planes, GWS kits, Art Tech P-51 etc. The quality scale fidelity and selection in the foamy market is incredible right now and I hope it continues. Still a lot of niches to fill out there like the 262 that dynam is bringing out. Stuff like that is what makes me hit the "buy now" button as soon as I see it. Here are some others that i would be all over that are rarely if ever seen in foam.

-Pretty much any Russian WWII plane; Sturmovik, Yak, LaGG, Mig etc
- Any Japanese plane that is not a Zero particularly a Hien or a Raiden or a twin engine Ki-45 Nick
-P-39
-Bf-110, He-111, Do-17, Ju-88

I'm sure I could come up w/ more if I thought about it.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
Love Flying History
Joined Sep 2011
804 Posts
Your so rite Alan . I too wished that Dynam & FMS and others would perssue getting into the LHS WOW would there sells go up then , and the cost would go down as well. I know for a fact that a Local Hobby Shop in the Northern Virginia , D.C. market tried to get FMS into his store, but went through Nitroplanes as a contact, and was told that they could not keep up with inventory if they sold through local stores. Wich is funny cause it seems that none of these on line stores can keep up with parts in stock as is. You would think that these companies would be knocking down the doors to get there products out there. I guess they don't teach buisness classes in China, wich I guess helps out ParkZone in the U.S. I think in Cananda, and some others do have some local stores that do carry some of these other companies planes. Ihope this changes soon , we would all benifit better for it.

Loyd
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,553 Posts
I would rather that these products remain online than in my LHS. Otherwise, I would be stopping at my LHS every day on my home from work and picking something up

But seriously, if they sold these at the local LHS they would more than likely be more expensive. The LHS has a lot of markup and overhead that they need add onto these planes in order to survive and as it is right now a lot of them struggle with planes as it is. In some ways, they are suffering they same problem that many Brick & Mortar stores experience today. People will go look at them in the store, but then go home and buy it online.

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Love Flying History
Joined Sep 2011
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I would rather that these products remain online than in my LHS. Otherwise, I would be stopping at my LHS every day on my home from work and picking something up

But seriously, if they sold these at the local LHS they would more than likely be more expensive. The LHS has a lot of markup and overhead that they need add onto these planes in order to survive and as it is right now a lot of them struggle with planes as it is. In some ways, they are suffering they same problem that many Brick & Mortar stores experience today. People will go look at them in the store, but then go home and buy it online.

Kman
True there might be a mark up, but your already doing that with shipping cost. I buy parts and planes through my LHS all the time . The difference is that if I go through them and not on line ,I don't pay for the shipping. At least my LHS doesn't.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
I agree with all of the statements made in terms of how far these electric foamies have come in only a few years.

When I have the spitfire up, and it comes flying past with it's lg up, it looks so scale that it makes flying them that much more enjoyable.

To me, if it looks scale flying past, and it flies well too, then we have the best of both worlds for sure. I think that sometimes people go a little overboard with the scale side of things, and want them to be identical to the originals...even if they are not too nice to fly. I think a bit of a compromise is a bit better, and if you cannot notice a few little things when it is zooming past, but it flies more scale like because of it, then that is ok.

Here in Australia, Hobbyking has started stocking Dynam Planes in their Australia Warehouse. I got the Dynam Spit PNP delivered to my door for around 135$ US, but at the local hobby store down the road, they had exactly the same thing for 270$. That is a 100% mark up. I really struggle to pay twice the amount.

I also got the Dynam Texan delivered from Hong Kong for 170$, still 100$ cheaper than the local hobby store.

I have my fingers crossed that Hobbyking Aus will stock the new 109 too.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
It is amazing what has come out in the last few years. I've only been flying RC for about 4 years and when I started the only foam planes available were the old crappy brushed PZ planes, GWS kits, Art Tech P-51 etc. The quality scale fidelity and selection in the foamy market is incredible right now and I hope it continues. Still a lot of niches to fill out there like the 262 that dynam is bringing out. Stuff like that is what makes me hit the "buy now" button as soon as I see it. Here are some others that i would be all over that are rarely if ever seen in foam.

-Pretty much any Russian WWII plane; Sturmovik, Yak, LaGG, Mig etc
- Any Japanese plane that is not a Zero particularly a Hien or a Raiden or a twin engine Ki-45 Nick
-P-39
-Bf-110, He-111, Do-17, Ju-88

I'm sure I could come up w/ more if I thought about it.

Regards,
Alan
I agree, a Russian plane would be fantastic. It would be a real market leader too, as you cannot get Russian planes anywhere.

My money would be on a Yak 3. I was checking one out at the airshow a few months ago, and it is one impressive little plane. The p51 sitting next to it looked obese.

I also like the idea of a BF110. That also would be something that has not yet been done well. Great idea.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, CT, Brooklyn
Joined Oct 2009
270 Posts
I am making new landing gear struts out of 1/8" Music wire.. I have a new K&S wire bending
tool and It works well ..On the first one I was a little short on the strut off set (Z) above the wheel axle..I will and should be able to improve my workmanship..I am bending the wire cold with no problems at this time... I am putting a 15* forward rake on the strut... ANY SUGGESTIONS are WELCOME..
Aeroplanecolt is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplanecolt
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2010
44 Posts
I'm glad we have Dynam tread now! I figured I share with you guys short video with my landing practice. I'm flying Dynam Spitfire 1200mm on 4S battery and my friend Dynam P-51 also on 4S. We were pretty bad but had a lot of fun! You can see P-47 and FW-190 here as well, not from Dynam.

Landing practice with many crashes some with flaps (3 min 39 sec)
op1900 is offline Find More Posts by op1900
Old May 01, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
[QUOTE=op1900;21483950]I'm glad we have Dynam tread now! I figured I share with you guys short video with my landing practice. I'm flying Dynam Spitfire 1200mm on 4S battery and my friend Dynam P-51 also on 4S. We were pretty bad but had a lot of fun! You can see P-47 and FW-190 here as well, not from Dynam.

Cool video
Did the spitfire come in the desert scheme or did you paint it yourself? i got mine from hobbyking for $120 including shipping... best money i've ever spent. I've had no problems with the retracts (or with any other part). I've noticed that this spitfire doesn't tip stall like other foamie spitfires

Has anyone raked the landing gear forward to prevent nose-overs?
I did it and it makes a big difference
mrshreddd is offline Find More Posts by mrshreddd
Old May 01, 2012, 06:47 AM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
[QUOTE=mrshreddd;21485545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by op1900 View Post
I'm glad we have Dynam tread now! I figured I share with you guys short video with my landing practice. I'm flying Dynam Spitfire 1200mm on 4S battery and my friend Dynam P-51 also on 4S. We were pretty bad but had a lot of fun! You can see P-47 and FW-190 here as well, not from Dynam.

Cool video
Did the spitfire come in the desert scheme or did you paint it yourself? i got mine from hobbyking for $120 including shipping... best money i've ever spent. I've had no problems with the retracts (or with any other part). I've noticed that this spitfire doesn't tip stall like other foamie spitfires

Has anyone raked the landing gear forward to prevent nose-overs?
I did it and it makes a big difference
I found that video on YouTube a few days ago and it made me laugh. Looks like you guys were having a ball, and that is all that matters!

I also got my dynam spit from hobbyking, and I agree best $120 I have spent too. It has brought me a lot of joy, fixing all the little quirks with it (including the forward rake on the landing gear), then flying it and having the time of my life with it. It really is a credit to Dynam that this spitfire flys the way it does, as I have heard from many people that spitfires are hard RC warbirds to fly, but this is like the real spitfire, pretty much viceless in the air.

Their Dynam Texan is similar, a lot of people have problems with tip stalling texans, but their Texan is also a doll in the air.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
[QUOTE=Merlin Power;21486102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshreddd View Post

I found that video on YouTube a few days ago and it made me laugh. Looks like you guys were having a ball, and that is all that matters!

I also got my dynam spit from hobbyking, and I agree best $120 I have spent too. It has brought me a lot of joy, fixing all the little quirks with it (including the forward rake on the landing gear), then flying it and having the time of my life with it. It really is a credit to Dynam that this spitfire flys the way it does, as I have heard from many people that spitfires are hard RC warbirds to fly, but this is like the real spitfire, pretty much viceless in the air.

Their Dynam Texan is similar, a lot of people have problems with tip stalling texans, but their Texan is also a doll in the air.
Have you added flaps (using the conveniently cut flaps and servo slot)? Since my local club (Gosford aeromodellers) barely ever mow the grass strip i can only take off my spitty from my local cricket pitch but the plane comes in too quick to land on it. Anyone have any ideas?
Old May 01, 2012, 07:39 AM
Just throw it up!
Joined Jul 2011
1,396 Posts
[QUOTE=mrshreddd;21486354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post

Have you added flaps (using the conveniently cut flaps and servo slot)? Since my local club (Gosford aeromodellers) barely ever mow the grass strip i can only take off my spitty from my local cricket pitch but the plane comes in too quick to land on it. Anyone have any ideas?
Yeah I have added flaps, and I can land it at around walking pace, which is amazing considering how fast i can fly it on a 4cell setup, so you end up with the best of both worlds.

I also use the local cricket pitch to take off from, and land on grass. If you can land it really slowly, I find that it doesnt nose over anywhere near as much, and when it does nose over, there is less chance of damage. I highly recommend adding flaps. There is also a lot less stress on the landing gear too.
Old May 01, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
[QUOTE=Merlin Power;21486427]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshreddd View Post

Yeah I have added flaps, and I can land it at around walking pace, which is amazing considering how fast i can fly it on a 4cell setup, so you end up with the best of both worlds.

I also use the local cricket pitch to take off from, and land on grass. If you can land it really slowly, I find that it doesnt nose over anywhere near as much, and when it does nose over, there is less chance of damage. I highly recommend adding flaps. There is also a lot less stress on the landing gear too.
Cool! no tip stalling? did you use 9 gram servo's for the flaps?
I was thinking of making a portable arrester cable. It would make landing way easier and would also be kinda fun lol.