SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Lockey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:08 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,280 Posts
Discussion
Maiden Flight

Maiden went off without a hitch, I had a couple of flights and then decided to move the G of G back a little so I moved the battery towards the back about ĹĒ which moved the C of G about the same .. I started at 33% and now it is at about 40% from the front of the wing Ö the wing chord measures 165mm (with a balsa leading edge) and I now have the C of G set at 65mm from the leading edge

It would not do a loop (even with full rates) after I moved the C of G back it did a nice loop on full rates, roll wasnít too bad, about the same as the Polaris (never tried it on full rates)

Video was taken with my NEW #16 cam on my hat, (hadnít changed the date Ö have now) it isnít too bad but would have liked to have done some low slow passes but was pretty nervous so didnít attempt this on the first flight, maybe another day.

Lockey

a little better quality video

Seawind Maiden (4 min 14 sec)
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 05, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:42 PM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
276 Posts
Seawind build and maiden

Hey Lockey great looking build and congrats on the maiden going off without a hitch (makes all the work feel very rewarding)

If you were to build it again is there anything you would do differently or change? just curious!

PS just bought from Amazon "google sketchup the missing manual" for my kindle ereader.

Cheers from Russel.
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:40 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,280 Posts
Quote:
If you were to build it again is there anything you would do differently or change? just curious!
Thanks Russel

I have already re-drawn and change a lot on the fuselage ... I have made it taper from top to bottom instead of having the step in the middle, I decided to add the tail on to the fuselage (it was a separate piece) as it was too difficult to line up properly and run the wires and elevator push rod through to the front Ö and for strength

I have made provisions for a flat bottom airfoil wing (instead of flat) to hopefully give it more lift

SO I guess I will have to re build the model Ö but will still keep this one for testing, it has only had the maiden flight so a bit more testing to be done .. it will be interesting to see how it fairs getting off water, I have asked D66 to test this for me

Cheers

Tony (Lockey)
Quote:
PS just bought from Amazon "google sketchup the missing manual" for my kindle ereader
Is it any Good?
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:29 PM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Joined Dec 2011
276 Posts
Re missing manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Is it any Good?
Hey Tony Sorry for the delay, was on country work trip. I have only read the first few pages so far but it seems very thorough and easy to understand.

I think it is probably aimed more at the complete sketch up novice like myself as opposed to your level of knowledge.
I am going to pay the extra couple of dollars that unlocks more features and will enable me to have an unlocked pdf version of the book and not just kindle format,
If this is the case(and I hope it is) I will PM you and send you a copy, or if you have a kindle I can share it with you directly!

Cheers Russel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Joined Dec 2011
276 Posts
cell foam pics

Hi Lockie here are those cellfoam/depron comparison pics I promised you.
Cheers ghost

PS I have put a few new pics of the 55% painted up on my blog if your interested.
RCG Plus Member