HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:47 AM
Poland, Pomorskie, Gdansk
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
New Product
FPV Recorder

Hello !

This is my first post on this forum, so I would like to say "hello" at first and ask you to excuse my bad english at second :-) My name is Sebastian, I live in Poland and last year I started my FPV experience, which became my great passion. Soon after I started to fly, I realized that there is no convenient way to record video from FPV camera. So I created my own software dedicated to FPV flying. Idea was to create powerful yet simple to use software that will turn my notebook (or any other Windows-based computer) into a DVR. Soon I realized that others may be looking for this software, so I decided to develop it for the wide community of FPV enthusiasts. FPV Recorder allows for video preview and recording, real time enhancements and live broadcasting (via Internet). Currently I'm working to allow FPVR to also monitor and record telemetry data.

FPV Recorder is avaliable in polish and english language, it also allows you to easily translate the software to any other language (by simple text laguage files that can be edited in notepad or any other text editor). I have created an english website that is available at http://fpvr.lastowski.com/en - please, feel free to download, try and share your opinions. Software is free to private use by FPV pilots and is fully functional, except of some "reminder" panel and full-screen time limit. If you find this program useful, you can donate with such small amount like ~7 USD and get your version registered. Registered version may be used in any way, both private and commercial, not only to FPV recording but also as a regular, general-purpose video capture software. I had to make some investments to allow development of this program - any donation is a small refundation of money I'm spending with this project.

PS. If you find this software helpful and made translation, please consider sharing the language file with others. Just send it to me and I will add it to the program distribution.

Best regards,
Sebastian - http://fpvr.lastowski.com/en
breweryhills is offline Find More Posts by breweryhills
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:49 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,331 Posts
Just installed it, looks very nice Sebastian! great work. I will certainly install this on my netbook and use it instead of virtualdub. I will let you know any problems I should encounter. How does network streaming works? what is the streaming protocol?
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
I will make a tutorial video on YT within this week. I also recommend using ffdshow-tryouts as a codec. Default system codecs are known to cause ocassional problems. Ffdshow can be downloaded from http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net - I recommend using official release, because SVN daily builds may include errors. Network streaming uses standard mms:// protocol, so both VideoLAN (preferred) and Windows Media Player are compatible. FPVR can automatically configure both standard Windows firewall and UPnP-compatible router to pass stream to the Internet, but in practice sometimes it works, sometime not.

For now there is no english documentation available, but meantime you can read autotranslated thread from polish FPV forum. Regardless of translation errors, I believe that you will be able to understand it enough to familiarize with setup of all the FPVR features :-) Just visit http://translate.google.com/translat...php%3Ft%3D4080

Best regards,
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
656 Posts
I understand that what you have posted is the software to record FPV video. (THANK YOU) My question is what do I need for hardware to make this all work together?
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Almost every capture device will work. EasyCAP is probably most popular, it is available worldwide, cheap and proven to work (http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-Audio-.../dp/B000Z4AQFU). But you can use any capture device (USB video capture dongle, USB TV tuner with A/V/ in, PCI tuner, graphic card with AV in etc.). Even web cam will work :-) The only requirement for the video grabber device is to have a DirectShow driver, but every device that is designed to run on Windows XP or later have that driver as DirectShow is a standard Windows multimedia subsystem.

Personally I'm using EasyCAP. It works under XP, Vista and Windows 7, both 32- and 64-bit systems. Most of FPV Recorder users use EasyCAP. It is the cheapest way to record on laptop. I'm using FPV Recorder on my i3-based notebook (Fujitsu LifeBook AH531, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) and it works like a charm. But I tested it on Intel Atom D510 with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and it also works. Of course when running on Atom it consumes most of the processing power, but records in full resolution (PAL 720x576 25fps) with no problems.

Best regards,
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Today I've added some example (but real-world, from my own FPV flights) videos that has been recorder by the FPV Recorder - http://fpvr.lastowski.com/en/features#examples - it is worth noting that FPV Recorder doesn't suffer from "blue screen" issue that is more or less common to cheap DVRs or LCDs. It won't stop recording in case of signal loss, both on the screen and on the resulting movie you will see you picture noisy or complete noise in case of complete signal loss. So it behaves like an analog TV

Best regards,
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
656 Posts
Thanks for the help
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Great Software! I threw a donation your way for the full copy! And Ill be mentioning you in my Videos, do you have a Logo I can use in the Videos? If not I can just take a screen shot of the website and crop out the logo if its OK with you.

Maybe you should upload some Screen shots of the software onto the site as well. It may draw more people in!
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
[QUOTE=chanyote66;21292307]Great Software! I threw a donation your way for the full copy!

Thank you again for your support ! I'm glad to know that my effort was helpful to you. I'm currently working on the next update, so every comment or suggestion will be helpful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
And Ill be mentioning you in my Videos, do you have a Logo I can use in the Videos? If not I can just take a screen shot of the website and crop out the logo if its OK with you.
You can use logo from the webpage for now. I have to extract logo from my PSD projects, but I've moved Photoshop license to another computer, so I cannot do this at the time. Next week I will put the logo on the website, so it will be available for download.

Quote:
Maybe you should upload some Screen shots of the software onto the site as well. It may draw more people in!
I'm working on it I have to add more beauty and usefulness to the FPVR site.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:18 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Looks very interesting - I have just donated!
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the Quick Response! Ill wait for the logo download... Iv got a lot of video to catch up on anyways!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the Quick Response! Ill wait for the logo download... Iv got a lot of video to catch up on anyways!
One of the upcoming features will be region blanking (so you can hide some of the OSD readings, like GPS position etc.) and logo overlay. With this second feature you will be able to automatically embed any logo into your movie on the fly :-) Also, upcoming FPVR update will be able to display and record telemetry data. I plan to allow any arbitrary data to be received from selected COM (RS232 or USB) port and parsed in a user-defined way (by quite simple XML definition file). So you will be able to not only record A&V stream, but also telemetry (GPS position, baro height, gyro attitude, engine RPM and lot more). More details later :-)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,776 Posts
Are you guys using paypal to donate?
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
ya, he has a link on the webpage
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,776 Posts
Dah! Me dumb. Thanks

Donation made.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Martin Y; Apr 11, 2012 at 05:08 PM.