HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 12:30 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITPUP View Post
Anymore model pics to share guys ??
More pictures below. Parcel with the hardware arrived from HobbyKing today, three days after posting in Hong Kong - great service! Now for the fun bit - installing the motors and props. The lift prop is an 8"x4 cut down to 6" diameter.
I chickened out of sewing the skirt and sub-contracted its manufacture to an expert in the art.
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBB View Post
More pictures below. Parcel with the hardware arrived from HobbyKing today, three days after posting in Hong Kong - great service! Now for the fun bit - installing the motors and props. The lift prop is an 8"x4 cut down to 6" diameter.
I chickened out of sewing the skirt and sub-contracted its manufacture to an expert in the art.
Jeremy

where did you get the skirt made, contact details would be very helpful. Any chance of listing the item numbers for the stuff you got from hobbyking ?. The model is looking great, carnt wait to see the skirt fitted.
PITPUP is offline Find More Posts by PITPUP
Old May 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
Quote:
Jeremy

where did you get the skirt made, contact details would be very helpful. Any chance of listing the item numbers for the stuff you got from hobbyking ?. The model is looking great, carnt wait to see the skirt fitted.
The skirt was sourced for me by Jag Ramjee (query@modelhovercraft.co.uk) He may not thank me for passing on his details as, with all the separate panels round the front, it was not easy to make. I supplied the templates from Mark Porter's website, amended to reflect the width of my model being 42cm compared to the plan 43.3cm - my side frames were inset a bit more than on the plan.

The items I got from HobbyKing were:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17588
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13429
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17228

The reversing ESC was the most expensive item but I think that being able to reverse the thrust propellor might give me a bit more control.

I look forward to seeing more pics of your build. What scale are you working to?
Last edited by JeremyBB; May 10, 2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Personal e-mail should not have been included
Old May 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBB View Post
The skirt was sourced for me by Jag Ramjee He may not thank me for passing on his details as, with all the separate panels round the front, it was not easy to make. I supplied the templates from Mark Porter's website, amended to reflect the width of my model being 42cm compared to the plan 43.3cm - my side frames were inset a bit more than on the plan.

The items I got from HobbyKing were:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17588
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13429
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17228

The reversing ESC was the most expensive item but I think that being able to reverse the thrust propellor might give me a bit more control.

I look forward to seeing more pics of your build. What scale are you working to?
Thanks for the info, mine is a 1/12th scale. The link you posted for the motor, is this motor being used for lift or thrust ??, the price is very good compaired to the AXI range.
PITPUP is offline Find More Posts by PITPUP
Last edited by PITPUP; May 10, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 04:09 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info, mine is a 1/12th scale. The link you posted for the motor, is this motor being used for lift or thrust ??, the price is very good compaired to the AXI range.
One for the lift and one for the thrust. Price only a fraction of the AXI and I doubt that the quality compares but if it does the job......
Old May 10, 2012, 08:15 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
What are the 'O' rings for?

The accessory package with the HobbyKing motors include 2 'O' rings. Can anyone please tell me what these are for

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17588

Also, I need to extend the 3mm diameter drive shaft of the thrust motor by 20cm to get the propellor in the right position. Any advice on how best to do this would be appreciated - type/material of shaft; how to connect it to the motor drive shaft, how to support it (bearings?) at either end. I would fix the prop using a normal aircraft prop adaptor with collett.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
Jeremy, the O rings are for the prop saver; avoid like the plague!
Most folk seem to rig up a silver steel extension rod through a rear bearing for the thrust - MFA do brass couplings to join the shafts.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old May 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
Jason - Thanks for the info. 3mm rod, coupling and bearings all now sourced. How should I set about mounting the bearing? MFA don't do bearing blocks below 5mm. I would appreciate your advice.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
I'd recommend trying modelfixings.co.uk or technobots (don't forget your MHA discount with them - see http://www.technobotsonline.com/bear...ng-blocks.html). What size is the bearing - for a 3mm shaft I'd be surprised the outer diameter for the bearing is less than 5mm. But I'm not sure you need a block; it ought to be possible to house the bearing in the structure for the prop shaft shield. I would recommend talking to Keith or Mark about it as they've both done this themselves. You may be able to fashion something out of brass or aluminium strip, and then bolt this to the floor of the structure holding the shaft shield if that makes sense.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
Jason

I took your advice on your forum post and contacted Keith Blaber. He did much the same as I am thinking of except that he used piano wire in place of silver steel tube (which he didn't know about at the time). I have got the bits from Technobots as suggested. I have gone for the thrust ball bearings, not the miniature model bearings. Is that right and what is the difference bewteen the two? Are there any rules to follow in using them, e.g position on the shaft; would two be better than one; any advice on how to fit them? Unfortunately, they don't come built into blocks as do the 5mm and 6mm versions.

I have a further question about the air intake at the top of the lift duct. As shown in the pics below, I plan to mount the thrust motor on a block below the 3mm thick x 5cm wide ply strip which runs from the rear of the cabin to the back of the lift duct where it is supported on 6mm square spruce struts. The block would be bolted to the strip above it so that the motor can be removed if neccessary. The question is: am I excessively restricting the airflow to the lift duct? I could narrow it down except in the middle where the motor block will be bolted on but it would weaken it somewhat. Trial and error will provide the answer but, if it is clearly a mistake, I might as well correct it now.

Jeremy
Old May 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
There's plenty of space to allow the air in, so I wouldn't worry about that, but you could probably afford to make it narrower whilst retaining the strength necessary if needed for authenticity. Thrust bearings are simply bearings that are design to accommodate a certain degree of push along the length of the shaft, which is ideal in this application although the motor will take most of the load. Be careful to get them the right way round though as thrust bearings are designed to work in a particular direction on the whole. You'll need to mount one as close to the prop end as possible, and you could consider having another near to the coupling for support, by the motor's own bearings will also provide support. Technobots do small plastic pillow blocks too which might fit - what is the outer diameter of the bearings?
Old May 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
The thrust bearings are 8mm external diameter. The internal diameter at one end is slightly larger than at the other end. What is the right way round for them. Large or small internal diameter at the prop end of the shaft?
Old May 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
The smaller end should point towards the front of the craft as the prop will be pushing the shaft and thus the craft forwards. So you could mount the bearings into these: http://www.technobotsonline.com/igus...-8mm-bore.html though it might give too much play. Alternatively you'd need something like this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear...-sets/4232267/ if you want to use off the shelf, or make up a clamp/ housing as previously suggested.
I've just found these as well which would probably have been good as complete units, but a bit late now...http://www.motionco.co.uk/bearings-p...s-c-28_60.html
Old May 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
211 Posts
The Technobots stuff is not available; the RS stuff is too expensive; the third option looks good. The included bearings are not 'thrust' type - does this matter? Otherwise for 3.89 a piece, they are not unreasonable. If bearing type is OK, I will go with them. Thanks for doing the research. I would never have found them.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
MHA webmaster
Joined Mar 2011
201 Posts
I don't think not having thrust bearings is that critical in this application - the force that they are undergoing is not that great, so standard ball bearings are fine.