SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
Hi all. Can anyone provide detail of the skirt for the SRN6. Im looking in the main for info on the fixing arrangments and also the detail of how to effectivley produce a skirt with fingers, pictures would be a great help. Many Thanks
PITPUP is offline Find More Posts by PITPUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:08 PM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
I just used mark porters templates and it works great. Haven't tried the fingers but am starting to think about it. And yes, dunno why so few people build hovercraft. They are so satisfying to build and irk well.
ChrisCurry is offline Find More Posts by ChrisCurry
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:09 PM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Irk should be work
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:22 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
100% scale templates for the SR.N6 skirt are available on Mark Porter's web site:
http://www.model-hovercraft.com/srn5/srn5plan.html.
The two photos below show how another builder has attached them using glue for the outside fixing and duvet cover poppers for the inside. Double sided tape would be an alternative for the outside. I hope this helps.
Jeremy
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
Thanks for the reply. two questions. one why is there a hole in the base below the lift fan, my understanding is that the air flows out of the sides, along the side ribs and then down into the skirt ?. Second do the seals between the inner and outer edge need to be air tight so all the air from the lift fan goes into the skirt ?
Many thanks
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
As I understand it, most of the air is directed under the craft into the area surrounded by the skirt and the pressure created is what provides the lift. The lesser part of the air is directed into the skirt through the slots in the duct which are visible in the photo. The inflated skirt provides the barrier to prevent the pressurised air escaping from under the craft - it does not provide the lift. The skirt does not have to be completely airtight so long as more air enters it than escapes from it. If this explanation is incorrect, would someone please correct me. This is my first hovercraft and I am no expert!

Jeremy
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
Hello all. Can anyone point me in the direction of a plan for a lift fan. I would like to make my own rather than buy an aircraft prop. This is the sort of fan im looking to produce. Many Thanks
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:42 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
Hi Pitpup

Chris Curry has used an impeller with his SR.N6 so might have some plans for this. Thinking again about my answer to the question about the hole in the base, might this only be where an aircraft propellor is used? Looking at Chris' impeller, the base of it seems to be solid, so maybe the airflow is different, although I would have thought that you still have to build up pressure under the craft to provide lift. I will be interested to know what you find out. If you are getting on with your build, I hope you will upload some photos.

Progress on mine is slow but steady. I have completed the cabin front windows and completed the perimeter frame on one side. The next step will be to install the decking and cabin roof, both in 0.4mm ply.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Srn6

the idea of using the fan is the same as what the full size does see http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace...way-13944.aspx but getting an off the shelf prop is easier to do
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:31 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
237 Posts
Hi Pitpup.

I'm afraid I gave you a bum steer . With a centrigual fan, you do not need a hole.

Jeremy
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
My Progress to date

Just a few pics of my progress to date.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:18 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
205 Posts
where did you find the fan photos Pitpup?
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:59 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
I have a few. Made from 2mm ply and shaped balsa blades. Made the blades 25mm long so that the fan plus motor will fit into the available space. It's 140mm diameter with a 100mm hole in the centre. Used the centre cutout to reinforce the bottom plate. Skirt attached with contact adhesive.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
Barefeet
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
Looks like my fan pic is too big. This should be OK. You can see the custom made blade alignment tool that's on it's second fan
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Nov 2011
29 Posts
Chris, do you intend fitting fingers to your skirt ???