Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:34 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Discussion
Another new scratch build.

I woke up this morning and while having a cup of coffee with the wife an idea popped into my head. I needed to build a "Lazy Bee / Mud Duck" lookin plane today.

At about 10am I finally made it to the shop and got started. Using nothing but scraps, and a wing that I had cut with the CNC for another plane months ago, I built me a new plane!

Finished it at about 5pm and did the maiden. This thing is a hoot! It simply flies good. I cant believe how lucky I get when I build stuff like this. First shot and it flies like a dream. Looks cute as heck in the air too.

About 30 seconds into the maiden I handed the TX to my neighbor. He giggled like a school girl as he did hammer heads, loops and some funky inverted flipper doodle. Then he handed it off to our other buddy. After about 10 minutes of goofin off with it, they decided this is the best plane I have built yet. Im happy with it.

Im still undecided if if is going to get wheels, floats or just stay like it is. It does the coolest touch and goes and will take off from the ground with no problem.

Its over powered by a Hacker A22 and a 3S 2500 with an 11x3.8 prop. I thought it would need more for sure, but it will hang on the prop with this set up and balanced easier than any plane I've built.

I'll cut a bomb drop door in the bottom soon and put another servo on it to actuate it. I built it with a 6"x 6" square right on the CG just so I could make a drop door for it.

Probably need to add some color to it also. All in due time.

Laine.

EDIT: Got the wheels done this evening and painted them. Also, got rid of the rubber bands holding the wing on and added front pegs and rear wing bolts. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the painting done. The wife made stencils tonight.

EDIT: Painted the wheels tonight and put them on. Also added some cow spots to it. Still have to put the "face" on it and add a couple other little things.

Got some video of it too... I'll post it later.
Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Last edited by lmopar69; Mar 06, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:33 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,312 Posts
Laine,

I must have missed the CNC equipment thread. Whats up with that?
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:47 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
I dunno. Ive had a CNC hot wire machine now for 2 or 3 years. Kinda handy! I get an idea, draw it on the computer, and in minutes I have my idea in my hand.

Laine.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:34 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,388 Posts
Hey Laine, when you gonna get some stick time in your buddy's Champ? That's where it's at!
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Already have a few times. Its an awesome little plane. In fact, I will probably use his Champ to get my tail dragger endorsement. I have a commercial heli license with instruments, so, may as well add fixed wing and tail dragger.

laine.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jun 2011
187 Posts
Laine,

Great build! Made me just looking at it.

Robert
Rat Brother 1 is offline Find More Posts by Rat Brother 1
Last edited by Rat Brother 1; Mar 05, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:34 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Wait till you see it painted up and with the wheels on it that I made last night!

Laine.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jun 2011
187 Posts
Cowabunga!

Love the paint job. Seriously.
Rat Brother 1 is offline Find More Posts by Rat Brother 1
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,457 Posts
Come On....Really!!

And you were'nt thinking about the fact that I'm building a giant Lazy Bee that I bought from you... doing it up the the mopar "Super Bee" scheme when the coffee you were drinking hit the neurons in your brain and you dreamed up the mud bug / lazy bee hybrid.... Ha... I don't believe it. Ha Ha...
O.K. maybe it was an original idea... and so what.... so it flys great and you've never even built a test model... .just because that happens to you all the time .... big deal... don't start thinking you're someone special..... oh you're special all right... that's for sure.... Ha Ha Haaaaaaa! We should fly our LazyBee type planes in formation at SEFF... that will show everyone....ha ha...

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:12 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
LOL, yer killin me Bo. It was the coffee and the neurons for sure! I dont know if my little Cow/bee/bug thing will keep up with your Bee! We'll certainly give it a try though!

Darn right Im special... window licking type special.

Laine.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:07 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,148 Posts
Didnt Tim (I flyOS) have a giant Lazy Bee last year?

You built it in 1 day? dayem. Very Nice laine.
Can we use it Saturday in the Paintball Venue
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SliderBat - a GeoBat derivative
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:53 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Yeah, Tim had a big lazy bee made from FFF if I remember right. BIG and SLOW!

This one was built in a day. Ive been adding details as I go. As for paintball... HECK NO! I can make a paintball plane if I have time.

Laine.