HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:08 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,126 Posts
There has not been much action in this thread, is this because it is such a good bird that there are no problems to discuss (good news for me) or there is no interest.
Any commits? From what I have seen the only concern is the landing gear.
Still flying the heck out of my Dynam Waco but I plan to get one of these after I get a new charger

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Well, I can't speak for everyone but I have been waiting for the weather warm up a bit. I have my wheel mod complete, so I am ready to get back in the air once I rebalance my prop and spinner

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:33 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Here is a good video on how to balance the prop and spinner for this plane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN70Ww9Wuc8

Kman
Last edited by kman24; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:49 AM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
There has not been much action in this thread, is this because it is such a good bird that there are no problems to discuss (good news for me) or there is no interest.
Any commits? From what I have seen the only concern is the landing gear.
Still flying the heck out of my Dynam Waco but I plan to get one of these after I get a new charger

Ken Smith
It's a nice bird, handles well, looks good, lands slow with good handling. Just rake the gear forward a bit (one popsicle stick) and you can put 2.5" wheels on it with cutting only a small amount of foam. The 109 is about the same, a little faster and already has large enough wheels, but still needs that popsicle stick.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
It's a nice bird, handles well, looks good, lands slow with good handling. Just rake the gear forward a bit (one popsicle stick) and you can put 2.5" wheels on it with cutting only a small amount of foam. The 109 is about the same, a little faster and already has large enough wheels, but still needs that popsicle stick.
Got a photo of said popsicle stick or is there one posted? I fly off grass but I keep it mowed real close. I can fly the little PZ SA5e off of it, carefully I must add

Thanks
Ken Smith
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Just one piece across the back on each retract (used a stick from a corn dog). There are some pics a few posts back. You'll have to trim a bit inside the mount area, the forward strut cutout, the gear door cutout, and the forward side of the wheel well. Be careful on the outer fuselage side of the wheel well as it's very thin (the brown spot in the wheel well pic is hot glue to re-inforce where I got a bit too close to going thru). May also want to trim the gear dear mount studs to get the gear doors flush with the wing. The strut wire is a bit weak but not terrible. Would be easy to replace with harder wire but haven't needed to yet. Have a friend who flies the PZ SE5, the 190 noses over easier, the rake mod and 2.5" wheels (or kmans 2.75"s) will make nose overs a rarity.
Last edited by comanch; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2008
294 Posts
Thanks to all who shared their improvements/mods for this plane.
I have one on the way,should be here very soon.
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:57 PM
Joined Apr 2008
294 Posts
Its arrived

Got mine today.Everything looks to be in good shape with the exception of the rear of the fuse.It has a slight dent/bend where the vert fin goes in at the far back.Not a big deal,i installed it and seems to be fine.

I did notice that the esc came with a deans connector already installed,
did any one else have this??
It also seems to me that the motor looks a little aneroxic .
But from what i have read it gets the job done though which gives me some confidence.
Im going to try and finish it tomorrow.
ooh and hatch magnets could use some more glue.They are pretty strong though,I had to push it open from the inside so i didnt damage it.
Last edited by MaximumDeflection; Feb 13, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:26 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreakazoid View Post
I did notice that the esc came with a deans connector already installed,
did any one else have this??
Depends on who you bought it from. The distributor specifies from the manufacturer which connectors to install.

Kman
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Apr 2008
294 Posts
Good to know,Thanks Kman.
My pilot and hatch was not installed either, for some reason i thought that they came installed.No biggie.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreakazoid View Post
Good to know,Thanks Kman.
My pilot and hatch was not installed either, for some reason i thought that they came installed.No biggie.
There again, different vendors. Got the 190 from NitroPlanes and the 109 from Grayson, differences. Neither is fast, both have same motor and prop as other Dynam warbirds now. But there is plenty of thrust, and both can go vert for a long time.
Last edited by comanch; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,126 Posts
Comanch
Has there been any problems with the ESC, in my Dynam Waco (40 amp) it was bad there were reports from others also. I just replaced it in both of my birds with HobbyWing Platinum 40 amp. Just asking as I will do this with the 190 as well I like these ESC

Ken Smith
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2008
294 Posts
I think i read that a couple of people glued the wings together,Is this needed or will it be ok not to?The manual doesnt indicate to do so.
I also read that the Y adapters for the retracts and wing servos are not great,is it a must to replace these?I cant see these being faulty,they either work or dont.
Can anyone using the Y leads chime in please.
Ill only be using the one for the retracts.The wing servos are going straight to my 7 ch. reciever Futaba 7c Radio.Im also going to try the flaperon feature of my radio on this burd..
tia
ooh and my pilot looks like a jet pilot lol.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:09 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Yes, you should glue the wing together. The included Y works OK for me, but some have had issues with them.

I had the jet pilot, too. But I ended up throwing him into my Dynam T-28 instead and used the warbird pilot from my Dynam Peaks instead

Kman
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Comanch
Has there been any problems with the ESC, in my Dynam Waco (40 amp) it was bad there were reports from others also. I just replaced it in both of my birds with HobbyWing Platinum 40 amp. Just asking as I will do this with the 190 as well I like these ESC

Ken Smith
The ESC in my 190 works fine, but after a few flights the ESC in the 109 started the pulsing that many others have experienced, replaced it with a 60a ExceedRc. Same with the Y connectors - some seem ok some don't - repalced all Y connectors just to be safe. Glued wings together with
gorilla glue.