HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
53 Posts
Discussion
Which plane for a beginner?

Hi guys,

Well this is my first post on this site. and This will be my first plane. I was wondering which one you guys would recommend. I have extensive hours spent on a flight simulator. and i can afford both planes because i really like them haha.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a625-80...d-rtf-24g.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...ner-white.html

Do you guys believe these are good planes?
giantsfan is offline Find More Posts by giantsfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Neither is a good first plane but I would lean towards the T-28 because it has a reputation as a good flyer. I haven't bought anything from Nitro planes but most say their planes are best for people who know how to replace substandard parts plus it can be tough to get repair parts for their planes.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
53 Posts
would you think this is a better plane?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...d-rtf-24g.html

thanks for the quick reply
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:46 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
you want a high wing aircraft it will be a lot more forgiving
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
53 Posts
I was amazed at the price for the airfield t-28 includes everything for $100 haha so thats why i was kinda drawn to it.
and also being a teenager haha I'm tight on cash
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,304 Posts
If you are tight on cash don't the buy T-28 because you may not have the money to fix it after your first flight.
I would look at one of these when they become on line at the end March
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...os-rtf-HBZ7700
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
53 Posts
thanks ill defintaly look into that one

whats your thoughts on the flyzone switch?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:12 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Why not start off with something as simple to fly like the hobby zone champ
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Feb 2008
65 Posts
Don't go with a low wing for first plane

Champ is a good first 3 channel plane. It is small which may not be an exciting as the ones you are looking at - but it will be much easier to look at after a few flights! It will still be in one piece.
Want something bigger, and if you can afford it, try hobbyzone Super Cub or the Apprentice. Both are always recommended as first planes and - ALMOST always - you will be told to stay with a highwing for your first plane.
pepper12 is offline Find More Posts by pepper12
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2011
155 Posts
If you are going to give it a go without an instructor, get the champ. If you have someone to teach you, you should seriously consider a Flyzone Sensei. I am getting back in to the hobby after a number of years out of it. I got in a little over my head with my first larger plane, so I bought a Sensei to sharpen up my basic skills before I destroyed a nice plane. I can't say enough good things about it. It flies like a giant teddy bear LOL
lcm1977 is offline Find More Posts by lcm1977
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:39 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
thanks ill defintaly look into that one

whats your thoughts on the flyzone switch?
You're excited and that's a good thing. But listen to us old farts on this one. We won't steer you wrong.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Switch is good, I fly mine a lot - low wing. It is NOT a 1st plane. Maybe 2nd with high wings and a mentor, then later change to the low wing mode. Looks are important but have very little to do with success in a trainer.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:45 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
I'm currently enjoying the Switch also but even the high wing position is speedy for a raw beginner.
Super Cub has a big following and high on the list, But forgiving flyer is the Corvalis by Flyzone with extended wing easy handling its high on my list.
Your best bet is a seasoned flyer to make sure the model is intrim letting you get the feel for flight in stages will have minimal misshaps, best way to go. Perhaps a local club near you might help.
Keep us posted,
The Sky Trainer would be the better choice, few of our flyers have this one and is forgiving, more of the model for the beginner
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Mar 04, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Another plane to consider is the Apprentice

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-radio-EFL2725

But I would recomend that you have an instructor with a buddy box to get you started. Initial over-control problems would not be unusual.
Some minore assembly is required, but not that much.
paxskipper is offline Find More Posts by paxskipper
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:42 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
IMO, you should get the best radio you can afford that you can grow this first and then decide what plane would be best. If money is a concern, do not be penny wise and dollar dumb. Most of the complete kits have cheap electronics that can not be moved from plane to plane. So it looks like a good deal in the beginning, and then after you have bought 2-3 planes, you have spent enough to buy a great radio system that can handle multiple models.

IMO, the best trainer out there is the Slow Stick. It is big, slow, flies great, easy to build, easy to repair, and CHEAP. Everything a beginner needs in a plane. The problem is that it doesn't look like a real plane. I bought my son a Slow Stick for Christmas and after three days out, he soloed. Here it is March and he is now able to fly an F22 we built out of foamboard.

I read this on here once and I thought it was the best suggestion for beginners I have ever read, "The radio system and your charger should be the backbone of your fleet, not the planes."
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman