HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:19 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Discussion
Brand New Lipo with bad / low voltage cell...

About a month or so ago I ordered a battery from HK via the US warehouse, a Turnigy 2200mah 3S 20C, it arrived with 2 cells at 3.85 and 1 at 0.60. That day I got it I filed an RMA with HK but I never bothered to pay the shipping that is as much as the battery to return it, and it has been about a month now so I don't even know if I can still return it...

My question is can this battery possibly be balanced up to normal voltage and still be OK? The charger I have now isn't capable of doing anything with it but I have an Acucel-6 coming, I don't know if it can do it either though...
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074181
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Ok I looked over all those threads and none of them match my scenario, a single cell with low voltage...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:27 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
An adapter like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3925344

Charge like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...22&postcount=1
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Guess I will have to wait until my Acucel 6 gets here to try to fix it
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,450 Posts
FWIW, any high performance lipoly cell that has been below 1V for an extended period of time will be very compromised and will offer mediocre performance at best and will be unstable and potentially dangerous at worst.

If you are able to bring it back to life, be sure to keep a very watchful eye on it and treat it as damaged goods.

Were it me, I would attempt to get it replaced or simply discharge and chalk it up as a loss.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
FWIW, any high performance lipoly cell that has been below 1V for an extended period of time will be very compromised and will offer mediocre performance at best and will be unstable and potentially dangerous at worst.

If you are able to bring it back to life, be sure to keep a very watchful eye on it and treat it as damaged goods.

Were it me, I would attempt to get it replaced or simply discharge and chalk it up as a loss.

Mark
Well being a brand new battery I am wondering if it was just a factory screwup where it never got fully charged properly? I dunno, I would rather try to fix it then just give it up as a $10 + shipping loss. I will keep a close eye on it and see how things go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,055 Posts
You can try but it's ruined. It's been too low, too long. It probably never was recoverable.

Charging is a mass process for all cells in a batch at the same time as part of the manufacturing process, before they are assembled. It did not get 'missed'. It was likely junk in the first place.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,084 Posts
Next time you need a battery, give these folks a try.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...1-1v-lipo.html
I believe the one you got from the HK US warehouse is the same price as the Gforce, but probably more shipping than the flat rate 3.99 from Value Hobby in Illinois.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:17 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,573 Posts
I have fixed hundreds of packs, literally. If this came through my door I would remove the defective cell and toss it. It is done.
I am 100% positive it did not get charged at the factory. New cells come off the floor around 3 volts. They then go through a cycle or two to check capacity and some check IR. They are then left around 3.8-3.9 volts per cell.
In your case that cell has a low resistive short. Trying to salvage it is very dangerous for you as you do not know what you are working with nor have the proper tools to do such.
Either make it a 2S pack or connect it to an ESC for a couple days and then toss it. An 1157 or 2057 automotive light bulb works great too but don't know if you have one on hand?

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
From seven years ago

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=146

I will add that quality LiPoly batteries are assembled from cells which have been matched after setiing (aging) for 4 to 8 weeks. It is during this time period that defective seals, layering ( folding / stacking) errors causes cells to drop out of their normal range. The initial charging and discharge cycles at the manufacture catches some bad cell and the result are used to grade the cells. Best ones are A grade and some or as low as G grade.

Yes boys and girls there are different grades of LiPoly cells that are produced on the same lines using same componets. No one tries to produce B - G grade cells but it happens.

Cell construction and greater than 1C charge rates, cycle life.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=72
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 05, 2012 at 04:35 PM.