Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Vantasstic, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:18 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,933 Posts
Build Log
Shrediquette MM6

Ever since I first saw the Shrediquette MM6 I knew I had to have one myself. The original MM6 pics and vids can be found here: http://shrediquette.blogspot.com/p/s...uette-mm6.html .
I used:
HK C20 motors: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6634
HobbyWing 10A ESCs
GWS and GemFan 5x3x3 props
3S 2200mAh LiPo
10mm sq C/F tubes
G10 frame (custom cut for me)
Weight w/o camera & VTx 656g
Weight w/camera, case, and VTx 821g
Controller: Open pilot CC and DJI Naza...they both worked well. I think I'll leave a CC on it as they're more adjustable than the Naza.
The GoPro camera case is home made from 1/8" light ply

Without the GoPro and case the battery mounts centered on the c/g and flies GREAT. Flight time was in the 8+ minute range. After I mounted the GoPro it flew like crap...barely controllable. After studying the MM6 thread I noticed an added cross bar on the rear arms for a more rearward battery mount. I added a similar cross member to my rear arms and moved the battery further aft to balance the weight of the GoPro up front. Night and Day difference...now it flies great with the GoPro...though only ~6 minute flying time now. My issues all along were a nose heavy hex with the camera installed.

Also with the camera case installed the hex does not sit flat. Studying the MM6 thread again I noticed, what looks like a, zip tie under the battery. Ah...a rear landing leg. I added two wide zip tie straps to my rear arms and now have a frame that sits flat when on the ground.

The last issue I have is with the VTx. I'm using a FatShark 100mW, 5.8GHz system. I have horrible video with it. I don't know if it's the video system or it doesn't play with the GoPro well. That has nothing to do with the frame though...it is a sweet flying setup. I am thinking of dumping the GoPro with a HD keyfob DVR to reduce the weight and extend the flying time. What's nice about a small FPV frame is its ability to get through tighter spots!!!
Fly Thru the Tree (0 min 15 sec)

I've also made a 200% MM6 frame, but haven't flown it yet. I'm thinking a mid-size frame, using 7" or 8" props might work well for the GoPro and a larger mAh battery.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Mar 04, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
900 Posts
Nice thread - thanks for sharing it with me. Question for you - when comparing your parts to the parts that the original creator used, I noticed a number of differences. Any reason?

For example, you used Open pilot CC/DJI Naza controller, while Shrediquette used TriGUIDE mini v2, Atmega328p @ 16 MHz, 5V (I have no idea what these are).

Also, did you use gyroscopes?
Wangta is online now Find More Posts by Wangta
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Nice thread - thanks for sharing it with me. Question for you - when comparing your parts to the parts that the original creator used, I noticed a number of differences. Any reason?

For example, you used Open pilot CC/DJI Naza controller, while Shrediquette used TriGUIDE mini v2, Atmega328p @ 16 MHz, 5V (I have no idea what these are).

Also, did you use gyroscopes?
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you...just returned from vacation.

As for the parts difference, I used what I had. The original had a home built controller and I2C escs...way more than what I wanted to do. I used both a CC and Naza controller and they both worked well...with the CC being a more compact design so fits better. I also used less expensive motors...which are working well for me. I also used 6A ESCs, but ended up having three or so burn up on me, so went with 10A ones which were 3S rated.

For anyone interested, I'm thinking of selling my MM6 as I've already got way to many frames and not enough controllers. I'd sell it ready to fly short of video equipment, Rx, and flight controller.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Hello,

Vantastic, could you tell me what's the total weight of your mm6 please ?

All equipment incl. (gopro, lipo, FPV, all)

There is my MM6 with naza too

Beetle
b3etle is offline Find More Posts by b3etle
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,933 Posts
My weight without Rx, VTx, and controller is 690g. I'd say add another 20g for those items, so a total of around 710g+/-. I removed those components for another project and haven't reinstalled them yet so can't give you an exact AUW.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Ok, I thank you.

The weight of mine is 600gr as it is the picture.

I'm afraid with the gopro and VTX that's too heavy :S
b3etle is offline Find More Posts by b3etle
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3etle View Post
Ok, I thank you.

The weight of mine is 600gr as it is the picture.

I'm afraid with the gopro and VTX that's too heavy :S
Mine flies fine with the GoPro and VTx stuff installed. Where I really noticed the difference was the run time...reduced by several minutes. You also need to slide the battery aft to balance properly with the GoPro else it's unstable. I've thought about using just a small camera and HD Keychain recorder to reduce the weight. I'm also toying with the idea of a slightly enlarged version for 7" or 8" props.
RCG Plus Member