SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by StayQuiet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2011
71 Posts
Build Log
Demi Duster Electric - part 8 - construction begins (wing)

Right wing half is almost completed. I made a few changes from the plans. First, instead of using a 3/16" square LE and then sheeting over it with 1/16" balsa, I used a 1/4" square LE and the sheeting butts up against it.

I also noticed that the plans call for 1/2" dihedral at each wingtip. But, there was no brace of any kind on the plans at the wing joint, which I thought odd. I modified the innermost W2 rib and added in a 1/16" ply dihedral brace.

The plans also call for the use of a single 3/16" thick partial rib (W1 and W1a) located at the center of the wing. W1 is slotted for a 3/16" dowel, used to locate the wing to the fuselage at F2. I had two of each cut when I did up the CAD plan, and I'm glad I did. By gluing both W1 and W1a ribs together, it will provide some additional support at the wing joint. I added two strips of 3/32" balsa on either side of the dowel and epoxied it in place.

I still have to apply the LE and TE 1/16" sheeting, and the cap strips on the bottom of the wing, but I'm going to wait to do that until after the left half is built and the two are joined together. That way, I can keep the build tab on the outermost W2 rib to make sure my dihedral is correct, and there is no warp in the wing. Once that is done, all the build tabs will be cut off and the bottom of the wing sheeted. Add in a servo mount and some aileron linkage and ailerons, and that part of the build will be done!
StayQuiet is offline Find More Posts by StayQuiet
Last edited by StayQuiet; Mar 23, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts