HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:36 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Hi Greg, these ones were made before or during the announcement. I did talk to him today and he said he is getting better, with the pain lessening. He had a few extra cores milled from earlier, so it seems like he may be able to get 2 sets made by this weekend.

Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:28 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Hi guys, just got note from Tim that the new foam may not be compatible with Foam-safe CA. I would highly recommend using epoxy to build the plane, or, if you must use foam-safe CA then perhaps have it tested with the foam cut out from the servo bay first.

Thomas

*will be updated into first post as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:40 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Hi Greg, these ones were made before or during the announcement. I did talk to him today and he said he is getting better, with the pain lessening. He had a few extra cores milled from earlier, so it seems like he may be able to get 2 sets made by this weekend.

Thomas
Thats great news....two closer to mine!!!!
gtrbaby is online now Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:16 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
You bet!!! I will be picking them up this Sunday after the January SCSA league in Dong Guan. 16 registered pilots so far, not too shabby!! Wish it didn't coincide with the HK F3F league this month otherwise we would get a couple more pilots.

There's less swelling but I do think he should take it easy for until he's fully healed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:30 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Finally finished up my Neos this weekend. It sure looks purdy all put together

My specs:
2 JR 285 for tail control (pull/spring)
2 DS09 Aileron sevos(top drive)
1 500 mAh 1S E-flight lipo
Charge/switch jack from XWingnut
AR6255 RX
TM1100 telemetry
How High RT altimeter
AUW 10.05oz
DX8 with trainer button mod(moved to gear location)

I had planned on a 2S setup, hence the switch jack. I had it so I used it. I am glad I did cause I think its going to make life a little easier. My AUW is higher than I wanted but I have almost .75oz of led in the nose to get a CG at 70mm. I was a little shocked at all the lead it took, I guess I didn't plan my install well enough. I have another Eflight lipo. I might wire them up together to give me a 1S 1000mAh pack and ditch some lead. Also I hope that some flight testing will let me get the CG back a bit more and hopefully ditch some lead that way as well. My goal is to get it to under 10oz.
Interesting enough I just finished a Polecat XP4.5 with a 2S set up and I got the exact same weight. I actually thought my scale was busted and put diffetent odds and ends on it to see if it would register. just a bit odd

Pictures and a flight report to come…soon…I hope!

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Last edited by Pickle72; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:45 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
Remove the How High and your under 10 oz.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Yep, It will go soon enough. But I need to see High High am am launching this bad boy

Also as a side. I removed the case from the TM1100 telemetry unit. I didn't weight it but the case is easy 1/2 the weight of the 5.4g unit.

edit: case is 3g!
Last edited by Pickle72; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:10 PM
tpczx6
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Oct 2005
283 Posts
NEOS at the JEM

Ok
I recived my Neo's about 4 days before the JEM and had it put together by Thrusday one day before leaving (Thanks to John and Dom for the build help)

Build

Jr 285"s in the pod
Ds09 in the wing with top drive
1200 round 1s for power (only had to charge each night at JEM)
Fr-sky 7 ch
CG at 72mm
AUW 10.2
Carbon Tail

John and I where able to get out at the local field late Thrusday to get test flights in after a few light tosses to get trim set. I did about a 50% throw as John worked the radio their was no wind so it was a great time to set up dead air mode. After we set all the modes we moved to 80% throws and I can tell you it launchs higher then I did with my Balster3.

At the JEM
1st flights of the Day was DEAD AIR for the 1st hour so with full throw and as little input as needed I was getting 1:48 to 1:55 flights ( going to put in a how high soon)
with the CG at 72mm the plane reacts well. I let a few Better guys try it out and they all liked it and the way it reacted as for me I do need to move it to 70mm as I still move the sticks to mutch.
I did not do as well as I wanted to at the JEM and could of gone back to what I knew with my old plane but I stayed with the NEOs the whole contest as I know Thomas did get the plane to me in time, the wind picked up at noon each day and I had no time in the wind with it. so I plan to get out and play in the wind a lot more. At a few times I did not want to fly in the wind we had as it got to a steady 15 with gusts above 20 at times so lots of land out by lot of the top flyers.

I will update after I move the CG to 70 and see if my style fits it better
tpczx6 is online now Find More Posts by tpczx6
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:35 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Nice write up. Do you have it set up per specs (control surface throw and flap settings) or did you find different settings work better in dead air?
Love hearing contest "war stories". Looking forward to my first ones this year.

Matt
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:54 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
I've been flying my NEOS in some heavy heavy winds of late and it goes well....

I have my setting completely different to others flying the NEOS ( I think) and am seeing some really good results in the changes I have made over standard....

I was lacking forward penetration into wind - so added 3m Reflex - problem sorted - in really high wind I will go to 5mm relfex and it goes forward like a truck!!!!!!

Cruise I have the wing clean

Thermal 2mm camber

NOTE: I fly a lot with the slider on my TX so I am constantly adding/removing camber from the above

my 2c
gtrbaby is online now Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:12 PM
tpczx6
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Oct 2005
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72 View Post
Nice write up. Do you have it set up per specs (control surface throw and flap settings) or did you find different settings work better in dead air?
Love hearing contest "war stories". Looking forward to my first ones this year.

Matt
Did lots of changes to setup while at the contest but after I get the plane back out I will see where every thing is set at
I also use my slider alot and had to use a different setting almost all flights as every flight was diffrent
Photo link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4467067...57632575750706
tpczx6 is online now Find More Posts by tpczx6
Last edited by tpczx6; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: add link
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:31 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Great pics! Looks like you know your way around a camera.

I'm going to miss sliders on my DX8 but I have one of the digital trims set up for flap trim. We will see how that works. Might move it to the trim knob?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:42 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Looks good Tim!
Matt, you gotta get some flying reports on it soon buddy, you'll like it.

FWIW, my last Neos was with rudder, and I set it up at 69mm, no differential at about 15mm each way, and the same camber settings as published, and it flew great. I'm very tempted to keep using rudder on my future builds, I'm finding myself moving my left thumb now even while I'm flying my rudderless planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:29 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Its charged, assembled and ready to go. But its 7F right now with 13mph winds. That's a no go in my book.
Saturday it should get up to 27 so we will see.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Looks good Tim!
Matt, you gotta get some flying reports on it soon buddy, you'll like it.

FWIW, my last Neos was with rudder, and I set it up at 69mm, no differential at about 15mm each way, and the same camber settings as published, and it flew great. I'm very tempted to keep using rudder on my future builds, I'm finding myself moving my left thumb now even while I'm flying my rudderless planes.
Wow, it is possible to get pulled back from the dark side
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen