Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:12 AM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Ok, I have the new one in the air. It came in @ 272 grams flying cg set @ 71 mm. Rudder option installed. It launches nice and high and flies lighter on the wing than my #1 Neos. I have 2hrs 30 min flying time so far and looks like I'll get more this weekend. My #1 Neos got the new tails installed so I will be testing both planes side by side to see there is any difference. I really like the CNC cut wing as it has a better leading edge with no panel breaks. The new tails look nice but after reading GT's post about making sure to extend the control surface to the tip I wonder why Thomas did not go this route? Maybe he will chime in and let us know why. Anyway after I get some time on them I report back as to what I think. We have been doing a lot of super light air flying this winter and I am really happy with the ability of the Neos to hang in and get air times out of almost nothing. When set up right and you get the proper speed for the conditions the Neos just rocks! The new one looks like it will improve on this as it came in 15 grams lighter.
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
701 Posts
Hey Dave. Is it the textreme version? or the carboline? Nice report. I find similar sentiments on flight characteristics. Very good performance from the non cnc core plane.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:42 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
My new #2 Neos is the carboline. #1 is the textreme. If the carboline is better I'll be pumped!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:53 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Talking lead times....my flying buddy Chris needed a new set of elevators for his Shadow......6+ months later he had them. Now thats lead time!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Hobbies View Post
+ 1000000!

Every dlg manufacturer I have ordered from and for me it's been quite a few has had major delay times that were unexpected. At least Thomas is honest and communicates this when the issue arises which at this point I consider a bonus in comparison to the others. Try getting a custom colored 3+ meter TD ship from the Ukraine! It will get to you in 3 different shipments at twice the quoted lead time which for me will probably amount to 3-5 months

PWR cut the melodrama.
Exactly!!!! The guys producing these awesome DLG's are doing it for the love of it! they all have day jobs to pay the bills. Do you really think you could make a living selling dlg's?
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, VA, Prince William
Joined Aug 2011
91 Posts
Alright, Chris D is on the short list, I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
I believe the one after that is Chris D's and then Palle's, going from memory.
chrisd438 is offline Find More Posts by chrisd438
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:06 AM
PWR
Denmark
Joined Oct 2006
97 Posts
Sorry

Good to see so many that will take Thomas in defense. I would too.

I also think he is a really nice guy, and he's doing some amazing models.

I'm sorry if I've been too hard on you Thomas, but it's frustrating to see it delayed so many times, now that I am so close and eager to get it.

But thanks for your reply, and I look forward to receive it, and in particular to meet you in DK next year.

Maybe he should have told everyone but you. lol
@jeff. You're evil

Palle
PWR is offline Find More Posts by PWR
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:30 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Palle, don't worry about it, it is my bad. I am really looking forward to flying with you next year in Denmark!

John, here's a pic of your carboline wing, I don't have the weight of it with LE sanded, but it should be close! You're going to love how stiff both your wings are

Dave, there's maybe 5 or so sets of tails hinged like that to address some concerns about (mainly) rudder hinge durability, and (secondarily) ease of setting trim. We've since went back to going full length surfaces on the tails. Anyone with a set of the tails with tabs, if you want a replacement let me know and I'll send over a set of new ones with full length surfaces for the cost of shipping, when we work through our list.

**I stand corrected, I popped into my office today after meeting the builder (5 hours back and forth...there goes Sunday! haha...) in the afternoon to check the list, the one after Tim should be Mike G, THEN Chris D, and Palle.

-----------

Added a pic of the good 'old' days when we were building by hotwire cut cores and quick production rates!!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:38 AM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
99.68 ? Wow. Super light!! Nice work!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:00 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1900 Driver View Post
99.68 ? Wow. Super light!! Nice work!

Brandon
Thomas,

I'm guessing that Carboline covers the entire wing, and there's a uni-carbon spar underneath, top and bottom? Kevlar along the leading edge, or a carbon doubler?

Carboline or Vladimir's ST is a great weight-saver, but tends to look spotty due to the loose weave. In another thread, a fellow builder suggested adding black epoxy pigment or graphite to the epoxy to mask the weave.

Cheers, Charles

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Thanks Brandon!

Charles, yes, Carboline covers entire wing (45deg). 1K carbon doubler on LE, 3K carbon doubler at tips, kevlar hinge, and glass doubler at root for topdrive. There are 8 full-length 1.5mm carbon rod spars in the Carboline wings (4 spars per half) - hence the stiffness.

Thanks for the tip on the pigmented epoxy, I wonder what that will do to that paint though? At the moment the wing does show a little bit of foam due to the nature of this material, but the finish itself is very good. I love the charcoal grey the carboline gives under light.

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Heads up, the recommended wing servos (Tahmazo TS-D6011's) are on sale right now until the 6th, go check it out on Facebook if you need any
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
tpczx6
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Oct 2005
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Heads up, the recommended wing servos (Tahmazo TS-D6011's) are on sale right now until the 6th, go check it out on Facebook if you need any
do you have a link?
tpczx6 is offline Find More Posts by tpczx6
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/ArmSoar

check it out
RCG Plus Member