HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
I use 4.1oz uni in my wings as spars and tip doublers. It does aide in increasing tip strength but I still find a patch necessary for good long term strength. I'm flying a wing with a glass tip patch and uni dart and I had a failure due to poor launching. Easy fix with a carbon patch on top and bottom, but the point is including a carbon patch on such thin wings is a good idea. 1K carbon works great, probably better than 3K as the weave is tighter.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,174 Posts
Thomas,

I still believe the primary problem is the carbon rods not going to the tip. I'd suggest finding a way to extend at least the top rod to the tip if not both. Adding another rod at the root will not fix this problem. To me it was the mid wing on out to the tip that could use the extra stiffness not the root. If adding the 3k fabric solves the problem with only a couple of grams is probably worth it on a pure cost to time ratio but for me just adding two strips of carbon tow about 4 inches long connecting the peg to the spar was all it took to feel stiff. We will see how it holds up however!

James
hohensej is online now Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,174 Posts
Forgot to mention,

After the repair I switched the Neos to a 1S 500 mah lipo for experimenting. We will see how it works but was pleased with the performance on the bench! Going to to fly it soon and hopefully get some launch numbers.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohensej View Post
Forgot to mention,

After the repair I switched the Neos to a 1S 500 mah lipo for experimenting. We will see how it works but was pleased with the performance on the bench! Going to to fly it soon and hopefully get some launch numbers.

James
What brand RX and servos are you using in your setup?
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,073 Posts
Thanks Gerald and Sam, we will try those cloth next time and see the results. If that means a little less weight and a little thinner layup and still works, then that's great!
James, the rods at the tip cannot go any further because of how thin it is, the 2 rods are virtually touching each other as it is. We haven't tried to only extend 1 rod, but I am worried it will load the stress on the other side unevenly. Thanks for the info on the tow, keep us updated on how it works! The 2nd spar (in front) is to handle overall wing stiffness, especially at the roots, similar to the kevlar wings. You will love 1s! I love it love it love it love it
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:37 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,724 Posts
On all the planes Phil and I made using Zone and Edge foils, including wings that should be thinner than yours at the tip, we carried both rods as far as we could. I've looked at your wing picture and I'm thinking your rods can extend to within a cm of the tip. I do not know how far they are from the tip - it is probably in a post but I don't have time to read for it right now - my bad!

There are two techniques you can use. Sand a contour onto the outside surface of the rod to match the wing shape.

Offset the two spars so they are not exactly on top of each other at the tips.

I think you want both spars to continue out towards the tips to get fairly close. Extending only one strikes me as a way to prevent breaking a tip off but it would not provide stiffness to prevent the inital crease from occurring.

All of this is alleviated to a fair degree if one uses unicarbon parallel to the spar. The bias Kevlar or carbon skin fabric transfers the loads to the spar, and keeps the unicarbon from splitting. The unicarbon itself spreads out the load transfer to the spar so it occurs progressively.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:04 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,073 Posts
Thanks for the tips ( ), I have not thought about offsetting the 2, perhaps the bottom one can be moved forwards by 2 mm and it should bypass each other by the tips and extend further outwards. There are only a couple planes left before our pause, so these planes will continue to be built with the 3K. We will experiment with the offset rods and uni next month, and will have them implemented when production starts again.

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,916 Posts
Probably you only need to offset on of the rods,enough so that at the last 5-6" they are offset. On mine they end up about 1/4" apart, but who knows if there is some better offset.

Good luck,

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,462 Posts
Hi Thomas. NEOS arrived safe n sound !!!!! hooray
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:39 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,073 Posts
NICE! Another 2 to hit Australia
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:09 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
666 Posts
Whooooooaaaa - Thomas - Nice tails on Facebook!!!!!!!!!
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:44 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
Are those plan tails or other tails? Guess I have to check facebook now (ugh)...
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
666 Posts
:-D Plane tails ;-)

Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,174 Posts
So flew Neos yesterday. Launches are just a bit lower then my Stobel which is probably due to wingarea. Its not much and not noticeable from the ground but definately a lower average when using my altimeter. My repair seems to be holding nicely and so far I am happy with 1S operation. The lower voltage was not noticed at all in flight. I only flew for about about an hour and when I got home was reading 3.9 to 4 volts under load (digitals make the voltage move around a bit) and put 100 mah back into the pack. I'll have to fly longer and see how long I can push it. It would be nice to get a solid 1.5 to 2 hours and not worry about battery. That way i dont have to switch planes or batteries in the middle of a fly off.

BTW, I am using spektrum Rx with two JR285s and two Hyperions.

Now I just need a set of new tails to get the weight out of the nose!
James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,174 Posts
And yes, only adding material to the top of the wing, as that is were the failures are occuring, would make the wing stiffer IN THAT DIRECTION. Whether its done by adding a nother layer of fabric, carbon tow or extending a single bit of spar, it does not matter. Adding material to the bottom in this case would be adding very little to solving this failure. Or at least so says my statics book.

James
RCG Plus Member