RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Neos Carbon Flight Test Day 3

This is the third time out with the Neos and what a day! Wind was variable 0-5mph, temp 65-70 deg, Partly cloudy to over developed in the afternoon
see picture. This was the first time flying the Neos that I had ideal conditions to test in. Early in the day it has all up with lots of light lift. Later on the clouds over developed and the lift became very light at times. I spent most of the day testing the camber settings of 0...speed, 3mm....cruise, 5mm....thermal. Also I had the slider so I could ad more. I found with a lot of practice was to launch go to cruise mode find lift and use thermal mode. Thermal mode did not always work if the lift was turbulent as it would want to throw the Neos out at the lower speed. In that case I would switch to cruise and use the higher speed to stabilize the Neos. That really worked well. Thermal mode also worked very well if the lift was not defined but light and general. In that case I could work a lager circle and gently nudge the Neos around a turn and climb out. I also was able to take a thermal out from a javelin throw! Working between cruise and thermal I took it out to a very nice altitude! I found that the Neos could work the lightest lift with ease. Two of my flying Buddy's were there flying Topsky's and I could easily out climb them in the same thermal. Had the altimeter in also and my launch was a consistent 150'. I tried some different things but on this windless day the old body could not get any more altitude, see graph. I'm real happy with that as it is a good 20' higher than my Topsky Disser. I used speed mode quite a bit and traveled easily far and wide in search of lift. The light wing loading of the Neos shows in it ability to really eek out time in very light air. I was surprised to find how well I can control the speed with the flight mode switch. The Neos climbs very well in light lift and can easily thermal in the lightest of air! The Zone V2 is fast becoming my favorite airfoil. You have to pay very close attention to the speed to get max performance but the rewards are great. I now have 8 hrs 8 Min of flight time on the Neos and I am really happy with it's performance. I 'm adapting very quickly to the new flight envelope and I'm enjoying it a lot! The cg has still not changed from 72 mm but I will test different locations as time permits. Gap seals are now installed on all surfaces and it is very very quite
DBSkyout is online now Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Last edited by DBSkyout; Jun 25, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2006
304 Posts
Thomas,
How's that for a glowing testimony! And from one of the Pacific Northwests best thermal pilots!

Nice report Dave. Very closely reflects what I have found with respect to the Zone V2 foils over the past year. Pretty easy to get used to

Much respect to Thomas for making the Neos available!

Craig
C Robinson is offline Find More Posts by C Robinson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG Fuselage Mold - Part 1
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Great reporting as usual Dave!
I will have to experiment around a bit more with my own settings too, particularly CG. I've been flying it at a couple different locations last week from 67-75 and at the moment I'm loving 68/69. There's been a storm passing through the whole week though so I will try 70 next time in slightly calmer air.

Any noticeable difference with the gap seals? That's one aspect I haven't looked into yet, maybe I will try it on one wing to see the difference.

Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Yes the Zone V2 is easy to get used to. I'm a little suprised at the performance increase over the AG airfoil. Thanks to GT for making Zone for us all to use!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Gap seals make it quite. You can hear the difference, however I can not tell a deference in performance. When launching it is very quite. High speed pass low and close.....very quite. Noise = drag? Oh, no rudder = no fun!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Craig, you bet, hearing good things about it from an expert feels great, and definitely keeps us going!

Yes, the Zone V2 is really great, very hard to beat at the moment. I'm keen to test out some more new foils to compare, but honestly, the Zone V2 really does everything I need it to. With the Neos, I'm way beyond doubt the plane will outperform me, I need to catch up

I will try the gap seals, noise is certainly drag! I will disagree on the rudder though! I installed a ballast system last night to see if I can get it any higher. I'm still averaging 50m with mine at 267grams, with an extra 40grams I'm hoping I can get my average up a bit. The large wing area should hold the weight quite well.

Also working on the light version of the Carbon Neos, expecting 105g wings with the current foam.

We've also been looking around for new foams to try, and so far there's one that's caught our eye, Z-axis is ridiculously stiff, even stiffer than our current foam, but and X and Y is quite soft. A friend has already tried it and said it's a miracle, but we've yet to do our own tests. Theoretically it should be wonderful, considering X and Y should be taken care of by the spars and skin, with the foam acting only to separate the 2 skins with the hard Z axis. If this new foam works as well, we might be able to drop up to 14grams per wing set using the same layup, or save 4 grams if we go from 80gsm skins to 100gsm skins... or.......

Current orders have just filled up July, and so we will be be temporarily stopping production in August to finish up the CNC and get the moulded Neos out, and to try more materials. If you're interested in one please continue to contact me

Thomas

-ps, managed to get my girlfriend out to the field with me on Saturday, one of these days I'm going to need to make her a pink plane and give her my old transmitter! Yeah, I'm still quite young
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Craig, you bet, hearing good things about it from an expert feels great, and definitely keeps us going!

Yes, the Zone V2 is really great, very hard to beat at the moment. I'm keen to test out some more new foils to compare, but honestly, the Zone V2 really does everything I need it to. With the Neos, I'm way beyond doubt the plane will outperform me, I need to catch up

I will try the gap seals, noise is certainly drag! I will disagree on the rudder though! I installed a ballast system last night to see if I can get it any higher. I'm still averaging 50m with mine at 267grams, with an extra 40grams I'm hoping I can get my average up a bit. The large wing area should hold the weight quite well.

Also working on the light version of the Carbon Neos, expecting 105g wings with the current foam.

We've also been looking around for new foams to try, and so far there's one that's caught our eye, Z-axis is ridiculously stiff, even stiffer than our current foam, but and X and Y is quite soft. A friend has already tried it and said it's a miracle, but we've yet to do our own tests. Theoretically it should be wonderful, considering X and Y should be taken care of by the spars and skin, with the foam acting only to separate the 2 skins with the hard Z axis. If this new foam works as well, we might be able to drop up to 14grams per wing set using the same layup, or save 4 grams if we go from 80gsm skins to 100gsm skins... or.......

Current orders have just filled up July, and so we will be be temporarily stopping production in August to finish up the CNC and get the moulded Neos out, and to try more materials. If you're interested in one please continue to contact me

Thomas

-ps, managed to get my girlfriend out to the field with me on Saturday, one of these days I'm going to need to make her a pink plane and give her my old transmitter! Yeah, I'm still quite young

Kids these days

Sounds awesome Thomas, keep moving on with this design. Sounds like your going to have an awesome stable of DLG's to keep us all entertained
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
699 Posts
So,it's the official NEOS' showgirl~~lol
nickbox is online now Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:58 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Nick, bring your wife to the next meet and she can be Neos girl #2!
Thank you Matt I hope the Neos will continue to improve... quality, performance, and value!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:38 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Just got an update, a new batch of fuselages will be mailed on Monday from Europe, so I should have them soon, get your building tables cleared guys!!

The tropical storm Doksuri is heading towards us, expecting to hit on Sunday. If it does, I won't be able to cross the border to grab this week's toys, hope it turns out okay! *fingers crossed
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:13 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
699 Posts
She is my Official Radio-Stand.

lol~~
nickbox is online now Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Testing cg @ 69mm. So far so good, need more flight time but it feels a little better in the turns. Increase the rudder throw a little and checking it also. The rudder helps in light air, just love to nudge it around with it!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:15 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d Dave View Post
This is the third time out with the Neos and what a day! Wind was variable 0-5mph, temp 65-70 deg, Partly cloudy to over developed in the afternoon
see picture. This was the first time flying the Neos that I had ideal conditions to test in. Early in the day it has all up with lots of light lift. Later on the clouds over developed and the lift became very light at times. I spent most of the day testing the camber settings of 0...speed, 3mm....cruise, 5mm....thermal. Also I had the slider so I could ad more. I found with a lot of practice was to launch go to cruise mode find lift and use thermal mode. Thermal mode did not always work if the lift was turbulent as it would want to throw the Neos out at the lower speed. In that case I would switch to cruise and use the higher speed to stabilize the Neos. That really worked well. Thermal mode also worked very well if the lift was not defined but light and general. In that case I could work a lager circle and gently nudge the Neos around a turn and climb out. I also was able to take a thermal out from a javelin throw! Working between cruise and thermal I took it out to a very nice altitude! I found that the Neos could work the lightest lift with ease. Two of my flying Buddy's were there flying Topsky's and I could easily out climb them in the same thermal. Had the altimeter in also and my launch was a consistent 150'. I tried some different things but on this windless day the old body could not get any more altitude, see graph. I'm real happy with that as it is a good 20' higher than my Topsky Disser. I used speed mode quite a bit and traveled easily far and wide in search of lift. The light wing loading of the Neos shows in it ability to really eek out time in very light air. I was surprised to find how well I can control the speed with the flight mode switch. The Neos climbs very well in light lift and can easily thermal in the lightest of air! The Zone V2 is fast becoming my favorite airfoil. You have to pay very close attention to the speed to get max performance but the rewards are great. I now have 8 hrs 8 Min of flight time on the Neos and I am really happy with it's performance. I 'm adapting very quickly to the new flight envelope and I'm enjoying it a lot! The cg has still not changed from 72 mm but I will test different locations as time permits. Gap seals are now installed on all surfaces and it is very very quite
Hi Dave!

What do you use as a gap seals?

Regards,
Lev
Lev11081955 is offline Find More Posts by Lev11081955
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:38 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,433 Posts
+1 with pics if you dont mind ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member