HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:44 PM
DLG Junkie
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
GULP!!! sniffle, sniffle...................whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
FalconLx is offline Find More Posts by FalconLx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Hey guys,
There's going to be a little delay for everyone's kits unfortunately. The 6 fuselages I received today were snapped during shipment, and I won't get another batch until at least 2 or 3 weeks later since my buddy who makes these is on vacation at the moment.
Fingers crossed that the delay will be shorter rather than longer, and that it will only affect a limited number of kits. Please bear with me

Thomas
I've only shipped a few fuselages, but I'm using PVC pipe for the job. Cost is about on par with cardboard shipping tubes but the PVC is tougher.

Ouch!
Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
Veradale, WA
Joined Jun 2007
59 Posts
Finally Done!!!

I finally found the time to finish my Neos (was out of town, other projects, and the 4 letter word - work). Had to install 20 grams to balance it with an all up weight of 281. Would have liked it lighter but it should not be an issue. It has a 2 cell Lipo 360 up front with a PLD regulator. Using a JR 241 servo for elevator and an Airtronics 5 channel 2.4 RX for control. The build was easy - just finding/making the time was an issue. Hope to fly it soon but currently have a sprained wrist (going through physical therapy) so that is slowing me down. A carbon wing would be nice but I cannot justify it (I bought this one too soon).

Art
Art_Boy is offline Find More Posts by Art_Boy
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
David Jensen anytime!
Ok build going smooth. Tail on, servo pockets cut. Working on top drive. Might have it flying by the weekend. Need to figure out the spring pull. Thomas can you get me a sketch on the spring shape? Some pics on the exits for the strings would help. Did I mention how stiff the wings are? Really stiff wow should launch good.
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,629 Posts
This build manual for the Ultegra has a great pictorial on how to do springs

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/v/ultegra.pdf
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
DLG Junkie
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
dave, there are GREAT threads on here about pull spring set-ups. search and you'll find them. i'll try to locate my favs and add a link or two also!

Art, get that thing in the air man!! tell your PT-ist to EXPEDITE!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
DLG Junkie
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
dave, for your viewing pleasure........ just a few of many!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597203
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566738
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...00&postcount=4
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,985 Posts
Thanks guys, oh well! All part of the mailing system (unfortunately!)
I send mine to customers via pvc pipes too, but occasionally the manufacturer sends them in paper tubes, won't be doing that anymore after this experience though!

Dave, those threads are great. I'll post some of my photos for your reference as well in a few minutes.

-----------

I like to bend the spring with a little fold in the middle, this keeps both 'arms' of the spring in-line to prevent warps on the surfaces.

I take toothpicks (or small aluminum tubes) and epoxy them inside the surface where the legs of the spring will go to help spread the load.

After the epoxy cures, I bend the surface 180degrees, and simply insert the springs (hence, the hinge is on the throwing blade side of the vertical, and on the top of the horizontal).
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Jun 12, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,985 Posts
Art, looks great! Hope to hear your thoughts on how it flies after your wrist recovers, all the best!

With the FG tails @ 12g, that should take ~10.5g from the nose, which should balance pretty darn close with an added (optional) servo for the rudder @~8grams.
The FG tails should take the AUW down by ~14grams or 0.5oz compared to the Kevlar tails.
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
Chess club geek with wings
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,052 Posts
Thomas,
Any chance you could detail the spring dimensions with a diagram such as you did for the throwing blade in post #294?

I've only found dimensions for "u" shaped torsion springs in the above links - not the inline springs you create to keep the control surfaces from warping.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,148 Posts
My spring system uses the standard straight line spring. The distance between the arms of 0.020 music wire is about 2.25 inches bent at 90 degrees. Plenty stiff for both elevator and rudder.

Also, I have pictures of my install now. I forgot my cable so I can not upload them yet...at work.

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Neos Carbon

Thanks every one for the spring info. Man this thing builds fast! The one piece fuse really speeds up the build. The carbon wings are really easy to work with. Top drive complete and ready for servo permanent install. Wing center section glass tonight. Picked up 2g of weight installing the elevator hard points, wing hard points, wing center glue and rudder glue. I will reweigh after glass work is complete. Air frame weight is now 177g. A few pics of the progress.
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, PA, Columbia
Joined Jan 2009
58 Posts
Dave,
Nice job,Gorgeous!!!
Tom R
SOARenity is offline Find More Posts by SOARenity
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
Seattle, Wa
Joined May 2006
64 Posts
Dave, It looks great! Cant wait to get a look at it close up.
freya is offline Find More Posts by freya
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Dave, you could use a little more flap throw
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland