Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
Chess club geek with wings
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLx View Post
hey trent, "got pics"?
Thomas's photos are better than anything I could come up with at this point in my build...I'll upload some photos of the fuse (2 in the pod) and rudder when I get it completed since there are currently no pictures of those items in this thread.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
oh no! I forgot about the pod layout pics, on it now.

-----

Here 'ya go!
1s 750mah lipo up front, 2 50-cent coins for noseweight, 1* JR 385 servo, switchjack, JR831B receiver, telemetry satellite behind.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Jun 11, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,151 Posts
Flight Update

Finally finished up the repairs on the Neos and today I was able to fly it back to back with one of my Stobels. Unfortunately I was unable to get launch data because I was too lazy to pull out the altimeter out of the Stobel but I'll get some numbers this weekend at York.

Today the conditions were 10 gusting 18 with really active air. Lots of storms were on their way in so the air was really rockin. My Neos weighs in at 270 grams without ballast which is really light for this wing area, so I added about 60 grams of ballast which seemed about right. I never felt any issue returning back to me even from away downwind. In the turbulent lift, it seemed to handle the conditions better then the Stobel. Launch was lower but I could definitely tell the difference in how the plane felt during launch, much softer during the last part of the throw. Even so, the height was impressive. I can not weight for a carbon wing to land on the door step!

The Neos is a solid performer at a great price. It's really hard to go wrong. I am warming up to it but the Stobel always feels like an old friend. We will see when the upgrade comes....

For those of you coming to the York, I'll have my plane there for people to fly and check out. I the post office is good, hopefully ill have a carbon wing, not finished, there as well for y'all to drool over.

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
James, looks like your Spread-Tow wing just cleared customs and is in transit now!
Thanks for the update on the flight behaviour, seems to be working very well with a rudder

Can't wait to hear back on the launches with the uber-stiff carbon wing, I think you're going to like it.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
DLG Junkie
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
james, great write up! getting so amped up! great to hear, thanks!
FalconLx is offline Find More Posts by FalconLx
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
329 Posts
Neos Carbon

Neos arrived today in perfect shape. Very impressed with the kit. Weights as follows. Rudder= 6.2g Elevator= 5.9 Right wing= 58.9 Left wing= 59.0
Fuse with bolts= 45.7 Total= 175.7g. Some pictures. Received the Tahmazo TS-D6011 servos, look just like a DS 09! Survived my four hour bench burn in test just fine! Ok off to the build.....
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Looking sweet Dave! Glad it's unscathed
Just a reminder, the hinge on the rudder should be on the throwing blade side, and the hinge on the elevator should be on top. They were cut that way to allow for easy spring installation.

This is making me want to go fly...darn work!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Here's a sketch of the blade install position.

I'm still trying to finish up the manual, bear with me a little bit longer guys!
I'll release a version of it with all the necessary bits and update it to make it look nicer so I can get the instructions out as quickly as possible.

-------

Also a photo of the channel for the kevlar live hinge on all of our Full Carbon wings. This prevents any disturbance in the airflow which may be caused by the thickness of the hinge if a channel wasn't created.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Jun 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:45 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,637 Posts
OK Dave I'll let you fly mine if you let me fly yours
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Hey guys,
There's going to be a little delay for everyone's kits unfortunately. The 6 fuselages I received today were snapped during shipment, and I won't get another batch until at least 2 or 3 weeks later since my buddy who makes these is on vacation at the moment.
Fingers crossed that the delay will be shorter rather than longer, and that it will only affect a limited number of kits. Please bear with me

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,637 Posts
That's gotta hurt!
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
699 Posts
poor guy~~~~
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
Beginner
Shenzhen , China
Joined Feb 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Hey guys,
There's going to be a little delay for everyone's kits unfortunately. The 6 fuselages I received today were snapped during shipment, and I won't get another batch until at least 2 or 3 weeks later since my buddy who makes these is on vacation at the moment.
Fingers crossed that the delay will be shorter rather than longer, and that it will only affect a limited number of kits. Please bear with me

Thomas
faint!
robust is offline Find More Posts by robust
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,160 Posts
Ouch
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6