HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 05:05 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
Yeah I'm excited on those d-boxes. Hopefully a few full carbon wings sneak there way in...with so much carbon already, might as well go all the way!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 05:41 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
I'll post info on them as soon as I can guys

Sam, there's a couple of those ordered, saves us a lot of labour making full carbon wings too!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old May 07, 2012, 07:27 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
Yeap, labor is really the most expensive thing. That's why I either go d-box or full carbon, adding a strip of carbon to the flaperon adds at least 30 minutes to the build.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 07, 2012, 08:56 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
I think all 3 versions (kevlar, dbox, full carbon) should be really close in weight actually. We'll see the actual results soon enough!

If so, I think the full carbon should be pretty popular!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 10:38 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Hey Thomas, I somehow just found this. Looks like a very nice build! I am very interested in a Dbox version. Actually I have been slowly saving my pennies for a B3 but after seeing this I am thinking that might be a better ship for me (a bit more durable). Can I ask for an honest comparison? B3 vs your Neos, any version. I have had 3 Topsky's and am looking to go to the next level of ship and hope to compete once or twice as well.
Thanks
Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old May 07, 2012, 06:53 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Hey Matt,
Haven't seen you post anything in a while! There's a bit of comparison between the Blaster and Zone V2 wings in general on this page here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1632690&page=3

Personally, I like the Zone V2 much more because of launch height increase and speed increase, without really sacrificing float too much with usage of camber. The thing I like about the zone v2 much more than the zone v1 is the ability to take camber to slow down and/or increase lift (although, will not slow down as much as an AG wing)

I think you will find the B3 much closer to the TopSky planes, and the Neos will be different and will take a bit of time to get used to (again, because of increased speed and slightly different characteristics in the air)

The Neos is designed to be very forgiving, so it should not be any harder to fly in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; May 08, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,187 Posts
Matt,

The Neos is a fantastic airplane and really brings a lot of performance to the table for little money. It is not as forgiving as a blaster but close once you understand how the wing works. That means slightly more forward CG and more attentive to how much camber is used. These are just traits all Zone V2 planes seem to have but I feel Thomas did a great job of building a nice wing that will slow down, handles turbulence as well as any AG wing I have flown and really does not exhibit any bad habits...and I've tried to find them! If you are looking for some extra performance but not to break the bank, take a hard look at Neos!

Thomas, I can not wait for a stiffer wing!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old May 07, 2012, 11:49 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,484 Posts
I will do a direct comparison to my V2 Stobel when I get the Dbox Neos..... Can't wait
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old May 08, 2012, 09:44 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Starting work on my 3 Neos's that I'll fly with this summer... going 3-in-pod for all 3 of them so that I can easily swap wings to try new layups and ideas
Progress will be slower than usual for my build because of work and (more) work, so don't hold your breath!
Though if you bug me about it, I will probably get it done quicker...

Running 3* Jr385's in each fuselage, with a switchjack, 1s 750mah lipo, and RG631B receiver. Linkages will be mostly internal, and stick out of the fuse right before the connection with the flaperons - much easier to install, take on&off, and as Graham pointed out in the other thread, it is/should be in the dirty air from the fuse/wing connection anyway to notice any extra drag compared to internal ala Flow5.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys! Sounds like what I have been looking for. I like the TS stuff but have been wanting to move on to something with a little more performance.

I know you want to run w/o rudder. But if you wanted it is there room for 4 servos in the pod?

Thanks
Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old May 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Hey Matt,

4 servos in the pod should be possible, can use the JR 285's for the wings and something smaller for elevator/rudder... maybe JR 188's. That should work for most receivers.
If you are running a smaller receiver, you might be able to run 4* JR 285's.
If you need a rudder, let me know and I can cut it for you too!

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
So how is the setup for 3-4 in the pod? Similar to like a Blaster 3 for ailerons?
NorCal Hobbies is online now Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old May 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Finally have the flaperon servos installed and connected. As per Thomas's suggestion, 1.5mm wire and carbon tube were used to construct the control rods. Need to find some smaller control rod keepers. Might just make-up some spring retainers like I did on the other end of the rods. Trying to keep the outside of the rods clean for ease of removal. Don't want to make the fuse exit holes any larger than necessary.
Once the control rods are secured to the horns and the retaining wire glued to the hatch it'll be ready for flight.
Xwing
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old May 10, 2012, 01:00 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Hey John,

Yeap, take a look at Ken's install

I have also posted a photo of a rough layout below for my 3-in-pod setup. The RG631B is a little big and has a satellite, hence I chose to put the satellite right above/behind the battery, and put the main rx behind the servos. Will not be able to fit 4 servos like this. Battery is a Turnigy Nano-tech 1s 750mah pack, with a switchjack.

If you use 4 servos in the pod, you would want to put your rx right behind/above the battery pack where my satellite is (assuming the rx is small enough).
Otherwise, 2 in pod and 2 in wings.

1~2 in pod and 2 in wings is still the 'standard' setup for the Neos.

-----------

Several guys who ordered the standard Neos changed their minds and went for the Dbox version instead after I announced it being available next month (who could blame 'em??)
Hence, I will have 3 standard Neos ready to ship next week which are unaccounted for. PM or email me if interested. Will go on classifieds next week if not picked up yet.

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 08:05 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Here's a shot of the rods and canopy retaining wire. Was a little concerned about the multiple bends in the control rods causing play at the control surface but they are quite rigid. Surfaces have massive throw too!
I tried about every combination I could devise in an attempt to keep the rods on a straight run but with the shallow taper of the fuse coupled with the shallow angle of the rods there just was no perceivable way to do it w/o cutting a rather long exit hole in the fuse. Felt that would jeopardize the strength of the fuse so I set the whole project aside and went slopin' for a spell. Contacted Thomas when I returned home and he steered me onto the correct track. Thanks Thomas!

Hysol was used to join the 1.5m wire inside of the 3mm carbon tubes then wrapped with Kevlar thread, CA'd then a finial coat of JB Weld on the exterior. Once the JB Weld cures another 12 hrs or so I'll file it down for a smoother finish.
Both rods together weigh 7.2g and the canopy w/wire is at 5.2g. Turns out the weight is needed up front so that worked out well.
Have some additional .018 wire on-hand so I do believe I'll construct spring wire keepers at the surface horns. It's possible the exit holes at the fuse will need to be a millimeter or two taller for installation/removal purposes.

Usually, at this point of assembly, I've installed several finger/knuckle dents on the wing from my burly hands but not on this one. It's very durable and should hold up rather well over time.

Regards,
Ken
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut