HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Discussion
Amazing ! A model airbus a310 that takes offf,flies and lands that slow !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBZN...ature=youtu.be
RcLento is offline Find More Posts by RcLento
Last edited by RcLento; Mar 04, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:28 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
It could just be me, but something doesnt look right with that video, either professionally super-imposed, or slowed down.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:44 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
I heard somewhere that the fuselage was filled with helium or something to that effect. The plane is already built as light as humanly possible and it's more like a heavy EDF blimp than anything.

Plus, Jurgen filmed it. He takes a lot of videos of clever German aircraft; the fact that his name is on that video would be enough for me to accept that it's perfectly real.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Why is this in Electric Motor Design and Construction?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:49 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
This is the same thing outside.
A big plane built extremly light with a very low wingloading.

Video Pilatus 001.MOV (2 min 22 sec)
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:50 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
I heard somewhere that the fuselage was filled with helium or something to that effect. The plane is already built as light as humanly possible and it's more like a heavy EDF blimp than anything.

Plus, Jurgen filmed it. He takes a lot of videos of clever German aircraft; the fact that his name is on that video would be enough for me to accept that it's perfectly real.

Helium would make sense. It has to be a blimp that is the only way that will work. Here is another one in the foamies scratchbuilt section...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post20934205
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:

I dont think so that helium can be because it has to take off as vtol then !
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Why is this in Electric Motor Design and Construction?
Its here because maybe someone can explain what kind of light motor can make this birds fly ! or any comments about motors what they have !
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Why would helium mean it had to be a VTOL craft? It's not a balloon; the helium is just there to reduce its density and lower the total wing loading.

The motors are probably just ordinary RC aircraft motors. Nothing super-special about them.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:23 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,062 Posts
These BIG slow planes all seem to have slots between the control surfaces and the wings.
That must help a lot.
I believe that they are just built very light and they look like they are going slower than my plane because they are so big. My plane with a 32" wingspan would take about the same time to traverse that large space but look like it was going much faster in a video and it would look like a small plane in the distance. To put it another way, think about zooming the camera way out to view most of the large indoor space - if you did that to film my flight, my plane would look very small and take about the same time to make one circuit around the room.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:03 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
its filled with helium, you can even see the way the fuselage is slightly warped due to some defects in the envelope. Whoever made the envelope for that is really talented as the seams in the fuse are barely visible. As for EDF's they're just ducted props, they're not any available EDF.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:07 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
I find that totally believable. I doubt that helium was used. I do suspect that it's made mostly of very light foam with CF where needed. One thing to note is that the ducts are inside of another duct. This would lead to a bit of a venturi effect, increasing the available thrust. There's a bunch of guys in Texas, I believe, that are also making very large, extremely lightweight planes that fly ridiculously slow indoors. I'll see if I can find some of the videos.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Guys... When I say I heard something somewhere, it means I definitely heard it somewhere. The Airbus is full of helium. Martin Muller built it. And then filled it with helium.

I'm very sure of this.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Here's an original video. Read the comments; Jurgen knows what he's talking about. He was there and he filmed it.

modell-hobby-spiel 2011 - Airbus A310 in Action (3 min 7 sec)
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:21 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
My mistake. I didn't realize it was only a two meter plane. Unfortunately, an Error 500 issue prevents me from finding the videos from the guys in texas.

A few minutes on you tube yielded this:

Giant Slow-Flying C-47 Model Indoors (8 min 35 sec)
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Mar 04, 2012 at 08:30 PM.