HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
None yet. Had to take a last minute trip to phoenix, driving back today. My current plan is to buy some pvc pipe from home depot and try to push it down. If that doesn't work, I pondered throwing my cat up there and then calling the fire dept to come get her down....and grabbing my plane while they're up there.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:26 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Well, my plane landed in a tree today (about 40 feet or more up) after a transmitter glitch...not sure if I'll get it back. For now, crashmaster is grounded...or treed.

AHHH!!!!!!!!!! Treed!! I was flying my Easy Trainer 1280 today as it ihas become my go to plane and my favorite model, so I fly it every time I go to the park for some flying, well today, some reason I was a little too close to a big ole tree in one corner of Friendship Park in PV, well after doing aerobatic circuits back and forth down the middle of the park, well, it happened, I right into the tree at about 40-50 feet up! I can hear the servos as I twiddle the sticks for a good 10 minutes after it happened, while contemplating to stage a rescue mission. well will return another day with 50 feet of 1/2" ID PVC pipe and couplers to try to pop it out of the grasp of the airplane eating tree. What is it about these FMS Easy Trainers, so that is now 2 in less than 2 weeks on So Cal treed!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
BTW, I've maxed out my aileron control throws mechanically and electronically now with my 1280, and the axial roll rate is very respectable now! I can come across the deck at low level at WOT as I like to do, and bang an axial roll and the 1280 now rolls with authority and with virtually no needed elevator correction when inverted to keep the roll clean and axial.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:01 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Well mine finally came down today. I bought 50 feet of 1" PVC piping yesterday, but it was wayyyyy too wobbly to be of any effect. I tied a ballpeen hammer to some parachute rigger cord and tried to catch a branch to wiggle, but that didn't work out well. This plane was stuck quite well.

I swung by the local firehouse this morning and explained my situation, the nice woman stated it would be an excellent chance for them to run a drill. 1pm, the captain called me and said they were ready for me...so I met them out there. I gotta say, these dudes got some balls. The one gentleman climbed up there on his 50 foot ladder and was able to get my plane out after about 30 minutes of wiggling!!

The plane was perfectly intact, suffered only minor scrapes on my paint job. The battery was completely drained (about 3v remained), but I was able to revive it using a trick my buddy told me about.

Best of luck to you Doubletap. I've got PVC that I no longer need, it's yours for the taking if u want it (may want better connectors though).
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Well mine finally came down today. I bought 50 feet of 1" PVC piping yesterday, but it was wayyyyy too wobbly to be of any effect. I tied a ballpeen hammer to some parachute rigger cord and tried to catch a branch to wiggle, but that didn't work out well. This plane was stuck quite well.

I swung by the local firehouse this morning and explained my situation, the nice woman stated it would be an excellent chance for them to run a drill. 1pm, the captain called me and said they were ready for me...so I met them out there. I gotta say, these dudes got some balls. The one gentleman climbed up there on his 50 foot ladder and was able to get my plane out after about 30 minutes of wiggling!!

The plane was perfectly intact, suffered only minor scrapes on my paint job. The battery was completely drained (about 3v remained), but I was able to revive it using a trick my buddy told me about.

Best of luck to you Doubletap. I've got PVC that I no longer need, it's yours for the taking if u want it (may want better connectors though).

HAHA!! glad to hear you got your 1280 back! Thanks anyways for the PVC offer! I think it's more cost effective for me to just buy a few 10' sections nearby over here I may end up doing what you did also, to try to solicit a rescue mission from the closest fire department.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
I expect my EZ Trainer to be delivered Monday. Are there any recommended mods that I should do before I fly it?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I expect my EZ Trainer to be delivered Monday. Are there any recommended mods that I should do before I fly it?

Thank you!

No mods needed or recommended, this model is just right stock. Only thing I would recommend is to adjust the aileron linkage so you are getting the maximum aileron movement, meaning, make sure that the wire push rod is at the outermost hole on the servo horn, and on the aileron control horn, use the hole closest to the hinge. Adjust the length of the linkage by turning the plastic clevis in or out until your ailerons are flushed with the wing on the end closest to the wing tip, and do this after you have centered the transmitter aileron trim slider.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:24 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Grangemouth
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Hi my name is Richard and I am new to this forum.I have just purchased an easy trainer 1280.I intend to fit my own receiver(I have a Futaba T6J).What do you recommend as the control throws to set it up as a docile trainer.The manual supplied is woeful.
westray is offline Find More Posts by westray
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:26 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
No mods needed or recommended, this model is just right stock. Only thing I would recommend is to adjust the aileron linkage so you are getting the maximum aileron movement, meaning, make sure that the wire push rod is at the outermost hole on the servo horn, and on the aileron control horn, use the hole closest to the hinge. Adjust the length of the linkage by turning the plastic clevis in or out until your ailerons are flushed with the wing on the end closest to the wing tip, and do this after you have centered the transmitter aileron trim slider.
I did this to mine a while back and it really wakes up the plane. It's now a fine little sport flyer. I would, however, caution a beginner to leave the throws at the reduced rates. The softer response is just right for a trainer and makes learning control basics a little easier.

This little sweetheart is so versatile! Really a gem - you rarely see an inexpensive foamie this well executed.

EDIT: Westray, I didn't measure actual control throws initially, but set up with all rods in the outermost holes of both servos and horns, the plane flys great with nice soft control inputs. Perfect for a beginner, in my opinion. Let's see if Doubletap agrees - he's the EZ flyer "guru" around here.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 26, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post

I did this to mine a while back and it really wakes up the plane. It's now a fine little sport flyer. I would, however, caution a beginner to leave the throws at the reduced rates. The softer response is just right for a trainer and makes learning control basics a little easier.

This little sweetheart is so versatile! Really a gem - you rarely see an inexpensive foamie this well executed.

EDIT: Westray, I didn't measure actual control throws initially, but set up with all rods in the outermost holes of both servos and horns, the plane flys great with nice soft control inputs. Perfect for a beginner, in my opinion. Let's see if Doubletap agrees - he's the EZ flyer "guru" around here.

Yes, for beginner aileron linkage setup ..... the combination of Outer hole - servo arm & Outer hole - aileron horn yields a good compromise control response for beginners, responsive enough for crisp feedback, yet soft enough to minimize the chance of over controlling.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
What about rudder and elevator?Is this with the endpoint values set to 100% ?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,703 Posts
Set rudder and elevator the same way. And yes, with a computer radio use 100% servo travel in both directions. Let us know how your maiden goes!
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:43 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Just got back from the field, and It was FUN!!! After much debate over the past few weeks, I went ahead and cut off the [polyhedral?] at the tips of my wings. While it did take away the self-leveling features of the airplane, it added a whole new level of enjoyment that I was totally ready for.

I went ahead and set up aileron/rudder mixing on my Turnigy, also set up spoilerons (why didn't I know about these from the git-go?). I think the rudder mixing has helped with the rolls, as I noticed much better response even prior to shaving my wings down. The spoilerons were a much needed improvement to my landings, I tend to come in a bit hot (need more practice).

I'd take a picture...but in all honesty my paint job is embarassing. It was supposed to look sleek and sexy, ended up looking more like a banana. Maybe I'll add black stripes to make it look like a bumblebee instead.
Last edited by Swammy1979; Aug 27, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Thanks Swammy and TNug.

Have a 9x plus extras - backlight kit, 2 x HK-T6A-V2's (one for my son's plane) and some LiPo's on order.

Now just need to resist the tempation to fly (and join the tree club) until the new radio is installed.
neil_f_real is offline Find More Posts by neil_f_real
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Is there any need for differential on the aileron,or is it just better to centre the servo arms and equal throws?