SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:55 PM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Hey guys. I got mine this past week and now have 6 flights under my belt. I straightened out the twist I mentioned earlier with some hot water while twisting gently. (It's amazing the amount of info you can find on this forum.)

I went with a FlySky (Turnigy) 9x from the start. As dbc mentioned, I didn't want to get accustomed to the mini Tx. The range is more than enough for me. I let it get pretty far (200yds?) away once because I thought it was coming towards me! Also, if you ever want to upgrade, you can get new firmware and convert to FrSky modules - which I hear have tremendous range.

I did end up in a tree yesterday due to some strong gusts - and inexperience. Since I'm more of a tinkerer than a pilot, I decided to install a couple of gyros I had. One for ailerons and one for rudder. I know many will say I should learn how to control the plane first, but I'd rather fly assisted than climb trees. Without the gyros, it just adds to the panic factor. I assigned one gyro "sensitivity switch" to the Hover Throttle pot and the other to the Hover Pitch pot. That allows me to independently tune the gain of the gyros as wells as switch between head hold and rate modes. I only use rate mode and only tune on the ground.

Today I took it out to a huge field in Raleigh for the inaugural gyro flight and it flew beautifully! It's the first time I felt relaxed and not trying to catch up to what's happening. It was far less gusty too. I'll be more careful about location and weather conditions when I fly. That helped far more than the gyros, but boy are they cool!
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
90 Posts
Prop Upgrade

I find it flies great, but is sluggish to climb. Can someone suggest a prop upgrade?
ariveroll is online now Find More Posts by ariveroll
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariveroll View Post
I find it flies great, but is sluggish to climb. Can someone suggest a prop upgrade?
The stock prop appears to be a 5" diameter and approx. 5" pitch, so I would think that using an APC 6x4e would provide additional thrust over the stock unit, but should keep the current draw within the design limitations of the motor/ ESC and stock lipo. The stock spinner/ shaft extension is designed specifically to work only with the stock prop, so you may have to use a generic 3mm prop adapter instead of the stock system to use the APC prop,
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
There's not enough clearance to use a 6" prop. Mine has less that 5/16" inch to the boom. You'd have to cut a notch in the boom, shorten the prop, or both.

The unending quest for more power - sigh. The plane is adequately powered in stock configuration. Mine will climb to near out-of-sight in just about 30 seconds from hand launch.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
There's not enough clearance to use a 6" prop. Mine has less that 5/16" inch to the boom. You'd have to cut a notch in the boom, shorten the prop, or both.

The unending quest for more power - sigh. The plane is adequately powered in stock configuration. Mine will climb to near out-of-sight in just about 30 seconds from hand launch.

Well yes, that is all true, but you know how people are always wanting more. I am perfectly satisfied with the stock power system also.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
I want more power....but I think I will get a jet for that desire. Only thing I really wanna do with this plane is paint her up nice and pretty. My current paint job ended up looking like a 50" banana.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:06 PM
Waypoint Collector
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
It has enough power to get me in trouble. I'll be sticking with the stock system for a while I think.

I took it out again today in 5-10mph winds. I figured my trusty gyros would save the day if needed. The plane flew great - very controlled. After about 5 mins, I brought it in to practice a landing. Cutting power and gliding into the wind - it just floated in and plopped onto the ground from 2 ft up. Before launching, I checked the gains on the gyros and realized they were both off! So much for gradually weening myself off. I guess that says something about how inherently stable this plane is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNug View Post
It has enough power to get me in trouble. I'll be sticking with the stock system for a while I think.

I took it out again today in 5-10mph winds. I figured my trusty gyros would save the day if needed. The plane flew great - very controlled. After about 5 mins, I brought it in to practice a landing. Cutting power and gliding into the wind - it just floated in and plopped onto the ground from 2 ft up. Before launching, I checked the gains on the gyros and realized they were both off! So much for gradually weening myself off. I guess that says something about how inherently stable this plane is.

Great report! Sounds like you really don't need those gyros as crutches, you can fly the plane on your own congratulations!. so it's time to remove the "training wheels yeah?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Nov 2011
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Great report! Sounds like you really don't need those gyros as crutches, you can fly the plane on your own congratulations!. so it's time to remove the "training wheels yeah?
Yes, the plane is very stable and floats nicely.

My problem is that I live in the mountains and fly from home. Our landing area is about 45 feet long with high trees in the end. If I overshoot the strip I need to power up hard to avoid the trees! And I suck as a pilot!

A better prop could help me get out of trouble...
ariveroll is online now Find More Posts by ariveroll
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariveroll View Post
Yes, the plane is very stable and floats nicely.

My problem is that I live in the mountains and fly from home. Our landing area is about 45 feet long with high trees in the end. If I overshoot the strip I need to power up hard to avoid the trees! And I suck as a pilot!

A better prop could help me get out of trouble...

Then you should try out an APC 6x4e, you'll have to clearance the tail boom ever so slightly just below the arc of the swinging prop.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
Waypoint Collector
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Yep. Looks like I don't need them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:16 AM
Waypoint Collector
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Then you should try out an APC 6x4e, you'll have to clearance the tail boom ever so slightly just below the arc of the swinging prop.
My prop CL looks like it is about 3-3/16" from the tail boom through the plane of the blades. So it looks like there is room for a 6" prop. Post your results if you try it, Arive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
My prop CL looks like it is about 3-3/16" from the tail boom through the plane of the blades. So it looks like there is room for a 6" prop. Post your results if you try it, Arive.
OK, perhaps I'll try a 6" prop and get some watt meter readings before my next flying session, who knows, maybe the added thrust from a larger prop could be beneficial to the already great airframe will see.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
Waypoint Collector
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
OK, perhaps I'll try a 6" prop and get some watt meter readings before my next flying session, who knows, maybe the added thrust from a larger prop could be beneficial to the already great airframe will see.
Is it a simple thing to get rid of the hex prop adapter in order to use a generic prop? I haven't done this. I should mention that if your new prop winds up closer to the motor, you may not have the clearance for the 6" prop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Is it a simple thing to get rid of the hex prop adapter in order to use a generic prop? I haven't done this. I should mention that if your new prop winds up closer to the motor, you may not have the clearance for the 6" prop.

Yeah, because the contour of the tail boom is such that the diameter increases farther forward, will have to play around with different prop adapters and may use some of the stock parts to get the best setup.