HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:25 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,748 Posts
Cutting off "the swoop part" of your wing reduces the effective dihedral as well as reduces the wing area. This will decrease the inherent stability as well as reduce the effective lift.

The plane might fly ok like this but it's no longer an EZ trainer. It will completely change the characteristic style of a powered glider.

Wings with a high aspect ratio (chord to length) have less aileron authority than more conventional wings. It's just inherent in the design of glider wings.

Personally, I would keep it as is and accept the limited roll rate. Buy another inexpensive conventional style foamy that's more suited to aerobatics and enjoy flying two different planes. Warning: buying additional planes can be addictive !
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 07, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:10 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Cutting off "the swoop part" of your wing reduces the effective dihedral as well as reduces the wing area. This will decrease the inherent stability as well as reduce the effective lift.
Lol, sorry for my poor terminology. I thought the swoop part was called dihedral, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to use the term improperly....instead I showed my noob colors by calling it something completely wrong.

Quote:
Warning: buying additional planes can be addictive !
Yeah, I've got the itch already. I want to spend money to buy another FMS1280 (kit), then start toying with this one to my heart's content. I imagine the hobby gets cheaper after a while, as you can take parts from old planes and put them onto new kits, saving you the money from buying a complete RTF or ARF. At present, am brainstorming ways to convince my wife that I need to spend more $$ on plane stuff. On a plus, it's much cheaper than any of my other hobbies!!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:08 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoedog View Post
Well I got mine a few days ago and only took it out on one flight so far. I am a straight up rookie when it comes to flying. I've flown a few times before with moderate luck, and I am all right in the sim.

First impression. With the battery in the spot the instructions call for and the CG at 70 mm. I't nose dived 2 times on take off. So I put the battery between the servo's and while it still dives a bit I can get it off the ground. Next problem is the erratic behavoir of the flight controls. I was having problems with it not responding well to the controls. Like it would start to bank and I would give it full opposite ailerons and it wouldn't respond or very slowly. Or the next time it would be two twitchy.

I moved the linkages to max throw on the surface horns and it helped a bit but was still erratic.

Any tips on the CG or flight controls
You should have marked the 70mm CG position called out in the manual underneath both wings measured from the leading edge at the wing roots. Then, adjust the battery position until the model balances on your CG marks. Launch the model at between 50% to 75% throttle giving it a firm toss directly into the wind with a slight nose up attitude but no more than approx. 20 degrees, with wing tips level but don't try to throw it too hard, let, follow through with your toss then quickly get both hands on your transmitter. Also, make sure all of your control surfaces are leveled out with the flying surfaces by either adjusting the plastic clevis on the threaded rod end, and/or the sliding trim switches on your transmitter.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:11 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,748 Posts
I liked your terminology a lot! It was perfectly descriptive and I knew immediately what you meant. Technically dihedral is "the upward angle of a fixed wing aircraft where the wings meet the fuselage".

Buy that second 1280 kit and have at modifying it. It will be fun and you'll learn a lot. You're absolutely correct that this hobby's not very expensive compared to many others.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
I liked your terminology a lot! It was perfectly descriptive and I knew immediately what you meant. Technically dihedral is "the upward angle of a fixed wing aircraft where the wings meet the fuselage".

Buy that second 1280 kit and have at modifying it. It will be fun and you'll learn a lot. You're absolutely correct that this hobby's not very expensive compared to many others.
BTW. upward set wing tips is known polyhedral.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:32 PM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
508 Posts
Quote:

+1
I just burned up a 300A ESC in my FE boat. That's not a cheap rc hobby to push the limits. But then, it's interesting that I'm much more content with inexpensive foam planes than when it comes to boats. If they're not pumping out 4000W doing 60+mph on the water, it's kinda boring.

I just got my EZ trainer today. I was very impressed with how simple yet refined the design is. I can understand why others liked it so much. Of course, we got a ton of rain this afternoon, so no maiden.

I do have a question. When viewed straight on, should the elevators be out of parallel with the wings? There seems to be a twist in the tail boom. (terminology?) My plane arrived with a dent in the trailing edge of one wing near the aileron and a squished wing tip. Not sure if the fuse twist is due to the same packing issues or by design.

If it's a flaw, is there any way to correct it?

Thanks,
T
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNug View Post
+1
I just burned up a 300A ESC in my FE boat. That's not a cheap rc hobby to push the limits. But then, it's interesting that I'm much more content with inexpensive foam planes than when it comes to boats. If they're not pumping out 4000W doing 60+mph on the water, it's kinda boring.

I just got my EZ trainer today. I was very impressed with how simple yet refined the design is. I can understand why others liked it so much. Of course, we got a ton of rain this afternoon, so no maiden.

I do have a question. When viewed straight on, should the elevators be out of parallel with the wings? There seems to be a twist in the tail boom. (terminology?) My plane arrived with a dent in the trailing edge of one wing near the aileron and a squished wing tip. Not sure if the fuse twist is due to the same packing issues or by design.

If it's a flaw, is there any way to correct it?

Thanks,
T
The horizontal stabilizer when assembled with the fuselage, should be parallel to the inboard portion of the wing panels. and this alignment is provided by the molded saddle at the tail of the fuselage, but because of small molding /manufacturing, variations of individual components or warpage resulting from packaging, this alignment may not be exact upon assembly, so that's why care must be exercised when assembling the tail surfaces in relation to the fuselage and the wings, and should be done dry without adhesive first to check fit/alignment, and then make small adjustments to the mating surfaces before gluing.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Another video posted today. I put my baseball hat backwards and stuck my cell phone inside the adjustable band. My cell phone only takes low resolution videos, so don't expect any 1080p....but I did keep it low to the ground for the beginning so that you could get a good view at the flight characteristics. Enjoy!!

FMS 1280 Flight review (5 min 52 sec)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Another video posted today. I put my baseball hat backwards and stuck my cell phone inside the adjustable band. My cell phone only takes low resolution videos, so don't expect any 1080p....but I did keep it low to the ground for the beginning so that you could get a good view at the flight characteristics. Enjoy!!
Wow! pretty nice video and nice flying also! You displayed the superb handling characteristics of the EZT 1280.

BTW, where is that athletic field that you flew at? Always looking for new sites to fly.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Wow! pretty nice video and nice flying also! You displayed the superb handling characteristics of the EZT 1280.

BTW, where is that athletic field that you flew at? Always looking for new sites to fly.
Artesia park, On South street in between Norwalk and Paramount. Whereabouts are you at?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Artesia park, On South street in between Norwalk and Paramount. Whereabouts are you at?

I'm in the South Bay right at LAX, I fly mostly parks in this area, but always looking for a reason to stray out of the South Bay.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Ok....this is a great plane....BUT:

My piece of crap TX/RX lost range yesterday afternoon. I attributed it to the wet field where I was at, as it had recently been watered. No big deal, I packed up and left for the day...not wanting to crash my plane. I went out again this morning to the same park, and BAM: lost range again.

Now when I say I lose range, I don't mean I lose complete control..I mean that there is up to a 5 second delay in response. I'd cut the motor to come into a glide, and it just kept going!! This is the point where I took off full sprint towards my plane for fear of losing it. I brought my plane in (thank god for practicing range loss on RealFlight), checked to make sure all connections were solid and there was nothing touching the RX. Everything checked out, so I put it up low and slow to the ground. Everything worked fine for about 5 minutes, so I took it up a little bit more. The moment I cleared the treetops, BAM! Range issues again!

I packed everything up, thinking it was a problem with something near my park. I went to another park about 3 miles away, SAME ISSUES!!

I really don't know what the deal is, but it's obvious that it is my TX/RX that is the root cause. Come Monday morning, I am going to contact Bananahobby and get an RMA for my TX/RX. Even so, I don't trust this combo so I am going to buy another more reliable one. Anyone got any suggestions for a budget TX/RX combo? I know a lot of people stick true to names like Futaba and Airtronics, but I really don't have that kind of money. I saw a FlySky / Turnigy for less than $100, but my flying partner had a bad experience with it. I looked online and couldn't find many bad reviews on those transmitters....What are your thoughts?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8992

Again, I love this plane....but in my opinion the TX/RX are not to be trusted. Buy the ARF or the kit and get your own transmitter.
Last edited by Swammy1979; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Posted a link
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,748 Posts
I don't think it's reasonable to call the Tx/Rx supplied with this $90 RTF plane "crap". You do realize than any reasonable quality name brand 2.4g system is going to cost a good deal more than this entire RTF outfit, correct?

I know others have had some issues with the supplied radio but both of mine ( another identical one with the FMS 40" Cessna) have worked fine for over 50 flights.

You're going to have to spend some $$ to get a good radio and then, even sometimes, may have issues with it.

I would also state that using this mini tx for a while is going to make the transition to a full sized Tx somewhat difficult. The narrow stick spacing, shorter sticks, and stiffer springs are all a lot different from a good full sized unit.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,748 Posts
BTW, neither the FMS 1280 nor the Cessna is offered by Banana as ARF - I would have bought both that way if available as I have good quality radio equipment I could use.

Buy them RTF and toss the radios in the trash - they still would represent good value.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Ok....this is a great plane....BUT:

My piece of crap TX/RX lost range yesterday afternoon. I attributed it to the wet field where I was at, as it had recently been watered. No big deal, I packed up and left for the day...not wanting to crash my plane. I went out again this morning to the same park, and BAM: lost range again.

Now when I say I lose range, I don't mean I lose complete control..I mean that there is up to a 5 second delay in response. I'd cut the motor to come into a glide, and it just kept going!! This is the point where I took off full sprint towards my plane for fear of losing it. I brought my plane in (thank god for practicing range loss on RealFlight), checked to make sure all connections were solid and there was nothing touching the RX. Everything checked out, so I put it up low and slow to the ground. Everything worked fine for about 5 minutes, so I took it up a little bit more. The moment I cleared the treetops, BAM! Range issues again!

I packed everything up, thinking it was a problem with something near my park. I went to another park about 3 miles away, SAME ISSUES!!

I really don't know what the deal is, but it's obvious that it is my TX/RX that is the root cause. Come Monday morning, I am going to contact Bananahobby and get an RMA for my TX/RX. Even so, I don't trust this combo so I am going to buy another more reliable one. Anyone got any suggestions for a budget TX/RX combo? I know a lot of people stick true to names like Futaba and Airtronics, but I really don't have that kind of money. I saw a FlySky / Turnigy for less than $100, but my flying partner had a bad experience with it. I looked online and couldn't find many bad reviews on those transmitters....What are your thoughts?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8992

Again, I love this plane....but in my opinion the TX/RX are not to be trusted. Buy the ARF or the kit and get your own transmitter.

Besides the possibility of a faulty Tx'/RX, make sure that your receiver is no closer than 2" to the ESC, and the antenna orientation of both TX/RX is critical with 2.4 Ghz, and generally, you don't want to be pointing your model with the TX antenna.

If you do go with an aftermarket TX/RX, always heard good things about the Turnigy 9X