SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:59 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
My experience with the stock Tx/Rx is best described as "mixed": My earliest flight days went fine, but a later day suddenly showed up serious Tx/Rx problems... bad lags and twitchy response at about 1/2 field. So that evening I rearranged the Rx/antenna... and was thrilled to find, on next outing (days later), that all issues were gone... and they were gone for a couple of weeks. This last weekend, however, all symptoms reappeared... with Rx and antenna in their new location. (These experiences are all on separate *days*... i.e. I haven't seen a change in this behavior "within a single outing".)

There is one possible common-thread in my experiences so far... and Doubletap strengthens my suspicion: This past weekend, my field was soaking wet (standing water in scattered pools after a lengthy rain) and the humidity was horrible... I felt drenched just standing there. I'm struggling to remember if my first couple of troubled-flights were similarly humid? I have been in that field before, with this plane, on similar post-rain/standing-water days... I just can't remember for certain if that coincided with my earlier Tx/Rx issues. Quite possible.

One possible counter-point, though: My son was out with me, on my earlier trouble-day... with his stock 2.4GHz gear for a Dynam Hawk Sky... and he had no bad symptoms at all. So the "humidity" suspicion can't be applied to all 2.4GHz gear.

So, the way I see it: Two tests are in order...

1) I haven't changed anything, in my setup, since my most recent "bad day". I'll head out when the park is dry and humidity is low to see if my Tx/Rx issues have magically cured themselves.

2) I've ordered DSM2 compatible Rx+satellite (expected arrival yesterday). On our next post-rain/humid day... I'll make a point of going out to test both systems.

My sacrifice for science -- fly more.

another critical factor with 2.4 Ghz is the TX and RX antenna positioning, so it's possible that the combination of the wet conditions at your field and touchy antenna positioning could be the source of your inconsistent results. It's too bad because I've never encountered such sensitivity to either condition with my old 72 Mhz setups over nearly 4 decades of use. Although 2.4 ghz technology has some convenience aspects like virtually no chance of frequency conflicts, but it is far from perfect with it's own shortcomings.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:35 AM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
508 Posts
Hi, I just ordered this plane based largely on the positive feedback on this (and linked) threads. I was deciding between the Bixler/Sky Surfer types and this was just too good of a value.

I've read that the Bixler/SS has washers hot glued in the nose as weights. Does this plane have similar? If so, is there enough room for a larger (>1300mAh) battery? What is the largest battery anyone has flown?

Thanks,
T
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNug View Post
Hi, I just ordered this plane based largely on the positive feedback on this (and linked) threads. I was deciding between the Bixler/Sky Surfer types and this was just too good of a value.

I've read that the Bixler/SS has washers hot glued in the nose as weights. Does this plane have similar? If so, is there enough room for a larger (>1300mAh) battery? What is the largest battery anyone has flown?

Thanks,
T
This model is properly designed for 2S lipo power system, there is no glued in dead weight in the nose. I've balanced and flown it with 2S 2200mah without need for additional nose/tail ballast. There is enough molded free space under the canopy to shift larger lipos rearward to maintain the proper CG.
Last edited by Doubletap; Aug 01, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
20 flights and counting with this plane...

I really like it. The glitching concerns me, but I have just learned to keep the plane closer to me. The humidity suggestion may well hold weight, and I will have to test the theory out. For the buck, this is still a very excellent plane. Less than a hundred bucks for a beginner to get into the hobby with a decent plane. I am thoroughly impressed. I have difficulty doing rolls, but can easily fly inverted...which is exciting enough for my newbie self.

I did have to glue down the plastic pieces that secure the fiberglass rod, as my trainer noted severe dihedral (proper terminology?) after doing a loop. Easy fix, and haven't noticed a problem since! I think I am ready to have someone videotape me so I can upload it here.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:33 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
(...snip...)

So, the way I see it: Two tests are in order...

1) I haven't changed anything, in my setup, since my most recent "bad day". I'll head out when the park is dry and humidity is low to see if my Tx/Rx issues have magically cured themselves.

2) I've ordered DSM2 compatible Rx+satellite (expected arrival yesterday). On our next post-rain/humid day... I'll make a point of going out to test both systems.
So... Test 1 is complete:

Today, the humidity dropped to 20%... down from roughly 90% on the day I was having serious range problems. No changes to my plane or transmitter -- I just went back to the same field with the exact same setup. And... my plane flew fine! No sign of trouble at all. None.

Given my experiences so far... strengthened by today's test... I fully accept Doubletap's observation that 2.4GHz range can be diminished by humidity. No doubt, the effects will vary with specific Tx and Rx combinations and different spread-spectrum technologies(?)... but from now on, no more flying on post-rain days with my stock FMS ET800 radio gear.

My DSM2 compatible Rx has arrived... and I hope to install it this weekend. Then I wait for another post-rainy day so I can do test 2. I'm curious to see if it is affected as well.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
20 flights and counting with this plane...

I really like it. The glitching concerns me, but I have just learned to keep the plane closer to me. The humidity suggestion may well hold weight, and I will have to test the theory out. For the buck, this is still a very excellent plane. Less than a hundred bucks for a beginner to get into the hobby with a decent plane. I am thoroughly impressed. I have difficulty doing rolls, but can easily fly inverted...which is exciting enough for my newbie self.

I did have to glue down the plastic pieces that secure the fiberglass rod, as my trainer noted severe dihedral (proper terminology?) after doing a loop. Easy fix, and haven't noticed a problem since! I think I am ready to have someone videotape me so I can upload it here.

For clean axial rolls, you need two things, 1) adequate speed entering roll, 2) lots of control throw on the ailerons. Since you are using the stock TX which is limited as it does not have lectronic functions like end point adjustment or selectable rates or exponential, but you can still maximize the mechanical travel with the ailerons by using the innermost hole on the aileron control horn, and use the outermost hole of the servo horn, you will have to recenter your ailerons once you have done this, but that will ensure that you have as much as aileron travel possible with the stock TX.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
So... Test 1 is complete:

Today, the humidity dropped to 20%... down from roughly 90% on the day I was having serious range problems. No changes to my plane or transmitter -- I just went back to the same field with the exact same setup. And... my plane flew fine! No sign of trouble at all. None.

Given my experiences so far... strengthened by today's test... I fully accept Doubletap's observation that 2.4GHz range can be diminished by humidity. No doubt, the effects will vary with specific Tx and Rx combinations and different spread-spectrum technologies(?)... but from now on, no more flying on post-rain days with my stock FMS ET800 radio gear.

My DSM2 compatible Rx has arrived... and I hope to install it this weekend. Then I wait for another post-rainy day so I can do test 2. I'm curious to see if it is affected as well.

Well there you go! There is nothing better than empirical data to corroborate and validate a theory. BTW, there is no reason to give up flying on a muggy day, just keep in mind the reduced reception range and keep the ship tight, that's all.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:21 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,769 Posts
And there's always other experiences. I fly frequently in the early morning here in Fl when the humidity is over 90%. No problems. But none later when it's down to a low, low 50% either. (I really miss the super low western humidity levels - just for personal comfort).
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:05 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
And there's always other experiences. I fly frequently in the early morning here in Fl when the humidity is over 90%. No problems. But none later when it's down to a low, low 50% either. (I really miss the super low western humidity levels - just for personal comfort).
No doubt, individual Tx/Rx combinations will vary in their sensitivity to humidity. As it turns out, I am convinced, mine is very much affected by it. I am glad yours is not -- I hope my experience is rare.

For folks who are new to this hobby (and this is an "Easy Trainer" thread) I'd say the lesson is this: High humidity might have a serious effect on your 2.4GHz radio range. As a safety issue, this is worth remembering... especially for those with new/unfamiliar equipment. Test your stuff, and learn its behavior.

BTW: I live in the west -- Arizona -- and it's "monsoon season" out here right now. For most anywhere else in the world, that phrase means daily torrential rains. For us, it just means high humidity and an occasional rainy day. Ten weeks of this (or so)... and the rest of the year is gorgeous. Better than shoveling snow.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:51 AM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
This model is properly designed for 2S lipo power system, there is no glued in dead weight in the nose. I've balanced and flown it with 2S 2200mah without need for additional nose/tail ballast. There is enough molded free space under the canopy to shift larger lipos rearward to maintain the proper CG.
Thanks for the helpful response Doubletap. I ordered an extra Zippy compact 2200mah.
I noticed there are seemingly endless posts about modifying the Bixler/SS. Many "must do's". Would you guys say there are any areas that need improvement before flying this RTR - besides the usual functional and assembly checks? It doesn't sound like it from this thread, but some of you have lots of experience with similar foamies and may consider some tweaks common knowledge.
Thanks
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Flight Video
FMS 1280 - Crashmaster II (2 min 4 sec)

The video sucks, but I plan on getting many more. I flew this at about 3pm, California time...so the sun was in the worst possible spot (forcing me to fly further from view). I will get more, but in the meantime I wanted to get this vid out. Luckily I had a perfect landing...I was worried I was going to nose-smash when under pressure of the camera.

Question: Would you recommend extending the ailerons by about 20% across the wingspan? No matter how I try, my rolls are slow as all hell. I don't wanna cut into my wing if there's only a small chance for improvement....but if it will add to my flying experience, I would give it a shot.
Last edited by Swammy1979; Aug 05, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,769 Posts
I've had several of these foam EZ style powered gliders and none of them will roll very well. About all you can do is maximize aileron throw and use all the speed available - and they're still slow and not very axial. Probably Doubletap could give more advice on this.

You're video wasn't that bad. It captured the essential flight characteristics of these very nicely.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Flight Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTrKJz7Lj_U

The video sucks, but I plan on getting many more. I flew this at about 3pm, California time...so the sun was in the worst possible spot (forcing me to fly further from view). I will get more, but in the meantime I wanted to get this vid out. Luckily I had a perfect landing...I was worried I was going to nose-smash when under pressure of the camera.

Question: Would you recommend extending the ailerons by about 20% across the wingspan? No matter how I try, my rolls are slow as all hell. I don't wanna cut into my wing if there's only a small chance for improvement....but if it will add to my flying experience, I would give it a shot.

Hey great video, despite I have a sunspot burned into my retina from watching HAHAHA!!!!

OK, I flew my 1280 again this weekend, and it does have a pretty slow roll rate, I'll work on mine more before the next session in a couple of weeks, the only negative I see so far with the 1280 is the position of the ailerons are a bit too far inboard along the trailing edge, which is no big deal for a trainer, but it does hamper the rolling rate, so yes, it may help the roll rate considerably if one is to extend the ailerons to add some of the remaining trailing edge towards the wing tips whereby would not only will increase the ailerons surface area, but also move the effective control surface area farther outboard where it will have more effect. Let us know how your aileron modding goes. BTW, whereabout are you in Cali?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:39 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
BTW, whereabout are you in Cali?
Cerritos currently, about 20 miles east of Los Angeles.

I am kind of leery cutting into my plane on an experiment, so I played around on Realflight instead.

I downloaded an easystar model off of the knifeedge forums, added the ailerons, and then tried to tweak them around. No matter what I did with them, I was still not seeing a significant improvement to the roll rate. Next step: I cut off the swoop part of my wing. Voila! Instant satisfactory improvement. While I am still somewhat leery...I definitely feel better about this mod instead.

Any input on this? What is the downfall of doing this? Seeing as how it's pretty much a permanent change, I could use some of your guys' (and gals) thoughts to help me make my decision.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:59 AM
United States, AR, Sherwood
Joined Apr 2008
43 Posts
Due to other circumstances I haven't been able to fly lately. Where do you guys have your CG at? If I put my Batt up in the nose where the instructions say, it just nose dives at launch. If I move the batt in between the servo's its better.
smoedog is offline Find More Posts by smoedog