Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
If you're talking about the tendancy to pitch up at full throttle, that's normal for this plane. I believe it comes from the angle the motor is mounted relative to the rest of the plane. Only thing that I can suggest is to either:

1. Trim your plane so that it flies straight and level at your normal cruising speed, compensate with elevator at any other speed.
2. If you have a programmable transmitter, set up a throttle/elevator mix so that the elevatoe goes slightly down the faster you go

Be careful with option 2 not to give TOO much down elevator, or you will find yourself in a mess at full speed. HTH.
It shows this behavior even at half throttle. I can do both 1 and 2 on my radio. I will experiment with that. thanks.
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:51 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Have you checked to make sure your tail is level with the wing? It sounds like there may be a slight upward angle. Take the plane and with the nose facing you and check it out. Since the tail gets glued on, it may have been a little uneven on intall.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
Took mine out again yest. Got it flyin like i want...i was havin big prob. With it goin nose up. I turned it on..s elevator trim to neutral ..and flew it.. adjusted. Tha control arm that scews onto elevator push rod..not sure exact name for it. Noob. Here. Kept flyin abd adjustin same way..so that finally.. with elevator trim in neutral..it flies straight...played around with elevator .till i got it right..will hav vid to post this weekend! Im xcited
donjuanob1979 is offline Find More Posts by donjuanob1979
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:11 AM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Have you checked to make sure your tail is level with the wing? It sounds like there may be a slight upward angle. Take the plane and with the nose facing you and check it out. Since the tail gets glued on, it may have been a little uneven on intall.
Mine does the same climb with throttle and/or speed. My wing has a substantial angle of incidence relative to the horizontal stabs. I've read that for neutral setup, typical angle of incidence is 1/2 degree positive relative to stabs. I would guess mine to be closer to 10 degrees! So it's not surprising that the plane behaves like I have lots of up elevator. I typically wind up trimming for cruising speed with a bunch of down elevator. I think there is also a thrust angle and CG factor in the climb with throttle.
Generally, I'm not too bothered by it. It may be more draggy with all of the down elevator trim, but it still has plenty of glide for me. Heck, I fly without the canopy "glass" anyway = more drag. One day, I may put some work into making it a more neutral setup, but I haven't been bothered enough to do so.
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNug View Post
Mine does the same climb with throttle and/or speed. My wing has a substantial angle of incidence relative to the horizontal stabs. I've read that for neutral setup, typical angle of incidence is 1/2 degree positive relative to stabs. I would guess mine to be closer to 10 degrees! So it's not surprising that the plane behaves like I have lots of up elevator. I typically wind up trimming for cruising speed with a bunch of down elevator. I think there is also a thrust angle and CG factor in the climb with throttle.
Generally, I'm not too bothered by it. It may be more draggy with all of the down elevator trim, but it still has plenty of glide for me. Heck, I fly without the canopy "glass" anyway = more drag. One day, I may put some work into making it a more neutral setup, but I haven't been bothered enough to do so.

Note to self: learn proper terminology. "Swoop" and "tail angle" just show how noob I am. It's so hard for my aged brain to retain knowledge anymore. I think I'm near capacity lol. Tnug, you are a pro dude
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
Waypoint Collector
Joined Feb 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
...Tnug, you are a pro dude
Ha! That made me laugh! If only you knew how much Googling I did before I posted, you wouldn't be so impressed. I only started with rc planes this summer. Though I'm an engineer, this is not my field of expertise. I only try to make sure I use the correct terminology because I've been corrected myself, and am trying to cover up my noobness.

Anyway, it sounds like yours is much closer to a neutral setup. Did it go together that way, or did you have to do anything special to glue the stabs level with your wings? In my haste and inexperience I just glued them as they seemed to fit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
172 Posts
Swammy: I hear ya bro re: "my aged brain" as my post "cog @ 70mm"???? should read more like 70cm! I'm glad we're not required to post a picture of ourselves. I might be thrown in an old folks home & my flyin days would be history!
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Age is no matter here. I'm only 33....but my brain feels older. I fly with a 26yr old and a 60+ yr old....and both are accomplished pilots.

NorCal, my plane flew pretty good out of the box. I do have the luxury of being able to pick up my plane locally, so maybe that hindered any potential damage / warping. It's after several nosedives and trees getting in my way that the plane started flying different (damn those trees). She still flies good though, but currently in storage as I explore the scratchbuild aspect of this hobby.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
Waypoint Collector
Joined Feb 2012
483 Posts
Swammy, sounds familiar. I've built a couple of $tree foam planes for a little more excitement. It's still nice to throw up the EZ for some relaxing floating. (usually after crashing my "fast" plane)

I think you mentioned a power upgrade. Got any pics? Did you redo the motor mount like some of the Bixlers, or just swap motors?

I'm planning to convert my EZ into a beginner FPV rig. Due to the added weight, I'm planning to upgrade the motor (lower kV + 3S) and go to a 7" prop for more thrust. I just haven't finalized on a mod to the motor mount. I expect to have to gut much of the plane. This is where it would be nice to have a kit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
I thought you'd never ask. Remember kids, reinforce your wings. And also, please self-censor the couple F words at the end.

Crashmaster II - proving her name (1 min 13 sec)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, MO, Grandview
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
rcdw
Have you ck'd cog @ 70mm per manual? I added a lot of tape front & rear for reinforcement and mine balanced perfectly @ 70mm w/ 1800mAh 3s 35c,,,,I was shocked @ how it was spot on after all the tape I added.
Is that a stock motor and esc with the 3s? This plane flys pretty good as is but I would like to get a little more power out of mine as well and have the option to fly with 3s. Also has anyone found a good prop upgrade? I noticed the easystar 2 has a folder prop and I was wondering how much that might help when gliding?
mstopps is offline Find More Posts by mstopps
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
And the results video. Hope you enjoy...and also that you learn from my mistakes:

Crashmaster II - the outcome (0 min 18 sec)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
Waypoint Collector
Joined Feb 2012
483 Posts

What motor did you put in that thing?!? LOL It was screaming. I'm personally not looking for speed - the opposite actually, but I am interested in motor mount methods to get a bigger prop on. (7")

Hope the plane is repairable. Looks like lots of fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Plane was fully repaired. That was the week I learned the wonders of gorilla glue and 1/4 inch carbon fiber lol. It really wasn't as bad as it looked. The wing was a pretty clean break, and that was about the only physical damage. I lost 3 servos on impact, but they were stock anyways.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26486

That was the motor I used. I saw the advertized 700w power on 3s and couldn't control myself. Be warned: that is a BEAST motor!! I do not condone the use of that motor on this plane, but it was hella fun. Ran her on a 7x4 prop with a 70a esc if I remember correctly. Might have been a 6x5.5 prop though. Lol, good times.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstopps View Post
Is that a stock motor and esc with the 3s? This plane flys pretty good as is but I would like to get a little more power out of mine as well and have the option to fly with 3s. Also has anyone found a good prop upgrade? I noticed the easystar 2 has a folder prop and I was wondering how much that might help when gliding?
Mstopps: My goto motor is this one here. ---> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24239

It runs on 2s or 3s, but I would upgrade to a 40a esc for it. I currently run a 6x4 on 3s with this motor and pull 27a on a fully charged 3s. For 2s, you could easily use a 7x5 prop and get plenty of thrus. For 3s, drop down to a 6x4. The motor sells very fast...usually within a day or 2 of stocking. For less than 10 bucks each, i'd check frequently and purchase 2 or 3 when they come back in stock.