HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,491 Posts
I bought the RTF version, after I glued in the horizontal stabilizer I noticed a serious misalignment. Apparently the fuselage is twisted, arrgghhhh....now what?
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:45 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I bought the RTF version, after I glued in the horizontal stabilizer I noticed a serious misalignment. Apparently the fuselage is twisted, arrgghhhh....now what?
There was an earlier post about this as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNug View Post
I had the exact same issue (and a few dings on my wings) out of the box. There are very good guides on this forum on repairing/reshaping foam. (sorry i don't have the link) Dipping the tail boom in hot water seemed awkward to me, so I wrapped it in a wet towel and steamed it with an iron while twisting. It worked fairly well, but the steam gatored my foam. Over the course of a week or so, the twist came back. I just twisted the other way and squeezed the foam with my other hand. This seemed to work pretty well and also compressed the gatored foam a little. Not perfect looking, but that just matches the rest of my beat up plane.

I relocated my ESC to above and behind the canopy on top. My 2200 mAh battery fits nicely down in the slot in the battery compartment, but blocks the airflow through the inlet under the nose. I fly on a grassy field and get tons of grass and debris inside with each landing. So I moved the ESC as described for better cooling and taped off the hole to keep the grass out. My receiver is mounted inside between and behind the servos.

I may add a cooling hole or two in the canopy area. I'm not sure it's needed.
I see Tnug online, maybe he can give more info if he has it.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:45 AM
NiteWkr
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Joined Sep 2004
47 Posts
Unless it's wayy out it's not going to affect anything
garryarm1 is offline Find More Posts by garryarm1
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:46 AM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
By the way, you should always dry fit everything prior to gluing so that you can identify and correct any flaws.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:14 AM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
516 Posts
Yup, I'm out and about again so still no link to give but a quick search should turn up some good threads about repairing and reshaping foam. It's not perfect, but like someone posted above, it doesn't really affect the plane that I can tell. I love it. About to fly it actually!
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
How to fix warps, dents, twists or uncrunch foam parts

I read your dilemma & a 2 min google revealed this link:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65933

Let us know if this did any good or you came across more valuable info that we can all use.
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
I read your dilemma & a 2 min google revealed this link:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65933

Let us know if this did any good or you came across more valuable info that we can all use.
That's exactly the thread I used as a guide. Good stuff. Must read IMO. Getting the twist out was sorta successful for me, but the nose repair after I crashed into a building at about 20mph was like magic.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
TNug is online now Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
Finally gettin around puttin the Easy together. So far I'm impressed w/ the design (beefier fuse) compared to other gliders in this price range. No regrets getting the "kit" as a backup to the ARF.
1.) Reinforcing the nose, leading wing edges/tips, tail & elevator w/ packing tape (sparingly).
2.) Plugging up the "grass catcher" bottom vent hole & trying to figure out where to drill a couple of other effective vent holes. Anybody have any ideas or pics?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
First plane .new to hobby..couple adjustments to elevator..wanted to nose up and stall..now it flys great! Cant wait to post vid of flight
donjuanob1979 is offline Find More Posts by donjuanob1979
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
Put in time on sim..to get orientation down.. other than wanting to nose up when i first got it..no probs...onlu complaint is cant really do rolls ...is there any mods i can do to the wings?
donjuanob1979 is offline Find More Posts by donjuanob1979
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Rolls were a pain in the #&! for me at first on this plane. It would do them, but very slowly. This is good though, because it gives you time to learn as a beginner. When I got more comfortable with the plane, I sliced off the swoop from my wingtips (the decal makes a perfect guide for the slice angle)...and she rolled a little better. After that, I added a more powerful motor with a 6x4e prop....and she rolled much more to my liking. Each of these mods will drastically change how she flies....seeming like an entirely different plane.

I would do these steps gradually (as in...not all at one time), as you become more and more comfortable with the plane. Probably the last thing you want is an overpowered plane that does snaprolls. You may end up doing a death spiral to the ground if you're not careful.

Have fun, and don't forget to come back and tell us your stories!!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
How do you fix the nosing up? I've put the battery far forward and added some larger metal washers. The balance is more forward than the manual calls for. It's still nosing up. Gliding is fine.
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
rcdw
Have you ck'd cog @ 70mm per manual? I added a lot of tape front & rear for reinforcement and mine balanced perfectly @ 70mm w/ 1800mAh 3s 35c,,,,I was shocked @ how it was spot on after all the tape I added.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, CA
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
The CG is at 5 to 5.5cm from leading edge of the wing, the elevator about 3mm down and it's still nosing up.
rcdw is offline Find More Posts by rcdw
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
If you're talking about the tendancy to pitch up at full throttle, that's normal for this plane. I believe it comes from the angle the motor is mounted relative to the rest of the plane. Only thing that I can suggest is to either:

1. Trim your plane so that it flies straight and level at your normal cruising speed, compensate with elevator at any other speed.
2. If you have a programmable transmitter, set up a throttle/elevator mix so that the elevatoe goes slightly down the faster you go

Be careful with option 2 not to give TOO much down elevator, or you will find yourself in a mess at full speed. HTH.