Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:36 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Discussion
fms easy trainer 1280mm

http://hobbyfly.de/en/popup_image.ph...995&height=595
browsing n come across this
yet another take on the easystar from fms.
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Anyone flying this? It's now available in the US:

RTF:

http://www.bananahobby.com/2310.html

Kit:
http://www.bananahobby.com/2374.html

Another great alternative to the overpriced MPX Easy Star II
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Anybody flown it?
Has a 2s motor, will that be enough power?
ariveroll is offline Find More Posts by ariveroll
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariveroll View Post
Anybody flown it?
Has a 2s motor, will that be enough power?

Why wouldn't it have enough power on 2S?
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Why wouldn't it have enough power on 2S?
Does it?

How does it climb?
ariveroll is offline Find More Posts by ariveroll
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariveroll View Post
Does it?

How does it climb?
All of my pusher EP gliders are setup for 2S power, because they are propped correctly, they will maintain at least a 60 degree climbout which is fine for powered sailplanes.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
I just bought one from Banana Hobby (a kit) and got it in 3 days. Fastest company out there. I hear bad reviews about Banana Hobby but they have always treated me great and are faster then Nitro and way faster then Hobby King and cost way less then all the other ones. Great company. Those 3, Banana, Nitro and Hobby King are where I get most everything. I get some small items from Grayson and Headsup. I am starting to build it. I have to go through my stock on motors and decide which one I want to use and then I will complete the build and report back as I do not see much user info on this plane since it is new. It is hard to fly in southern Iowa where I live because it has been about 100 degrees everyday for many days & it makes it no fun to go out side!! Check back.
john50049 is offline Find More Posts by john50049
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
I posted my initial impressions of this plane here (post #109):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...trainer&page=8

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a thread devoted to this plane.

I would tend to agree with Doubletap: this plane is one of the very best values you'll find.
I've had several EZ glider types including the Bixler and Dynam. I think this FMS plane is better engineered and uses better quality components than either of the others mentioned; and costs less to boot!
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jul 18, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
I did a 22 minute flight this morning, about 2/3 powered and 1/3 gliding. This with the supplied battery, Tx and Rx. I flew it as high and far away as I dared. Very nearly out of sight. The radio equipment remained in solid contact.

The CG with the supplied battery is slightly behind the recommended 70mm. It requires about 12g of weight in the nose to achieve 70. But I've removed the weight and see little difference in flight characteristics with CG at about 75mm, or right on the spar.

This is a really fine plane and it's got to be one of the best values anywhere.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
The FMS Easy Trainer 1280 is my new EZ style model favorite There simply isn't a better design regardless of the price, saying that as an owner of virtually all of these kinds of planes, so I'm no "fan boy" of any particular brand with actual experience with all of them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454577
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
Good to see Doubletap confirms my impressions of this plane. I've had many, many inexpensive foamy planes, both RTF and ARF. I'm always impressed with a complete RTF package that performs well and is of reasonable quality - especially when it's significantly less than $100. With the discount, this is about $72. How can you beat it?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:40 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
Just ran some numbers on this power system: static power draw is about 99 watts and 13.1 amps with the supplied battery fully charged. The 5.25" prop spins at 16,200 rpm at full power,static. I can't determine the prop pitch so cannot calculate thrust..

AUW weight of mine is 623g or 1lb 6.25 oz. This gives about 82 watts/lb.

Modest power, but fully adequate for this plane.

We need more owners so this thread can become active. This is too fine a plane to go unnoticed.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Thanks for posting your thoughts on this plane. This thread was my deciding factor...and I just placed an order and am anxiously awaiting pickup next week. Anyone foresee any problems putting in an 11V lipo in here?

I am new to the hobby, and am VERY disappointed in my hobby people superfly x (RTF brushed piece of crap with AM transmitter). Had I done a little more homework, I would of bought this plane from the git-go...but alas, we all make stupid mistakes from time to time.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
I would not attempt to use a 3s (11volt) battery with the stock power system. This is a high KV motor (3900kv). 11v will probably burn it up unless you prop way down( install a smaller lower pitch prop).

Plus the 3s will probably be too heavy to get proper CG. Just use the supplied battery, it works fine.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Just picked it up late yesterday after work. It took me about 30 minutes tops to put the plane together. Initial impressions: It feels very solid and durable. The motor/prop makes a very sexy high pitched whine, and the thrust was enough to push my plane across the carpet. I am very excited to take her to the park today for her maiden flight.

I will post back and let you all know how it goes, if anyone is interested!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979