HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:53 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Discussion
Frankenquad FPV Zombie Frame Thread

I decided I needed one of those spider shaped FPV frames with the camera up front and I decided to go with the Frankenquad Designs FPV Zombie. I've had one of their little quad frames before and it was a little tank! Tough as nails and I liked the clamping of the booms instead of drilling through them, makes replacement relatively easy.

I ordered on Wednesday evening and received it on Saturday, NICE! Just in time for a weekend build.

http://www.hauntnet.com/frankenquad/index.php

The only drawback which may or may not be a drawback for others is that the frame doesn't come with metric hardware so I had to use my own hardware for the build. Seems like everything in the RC world is metric these days so it would be nice to see metric hardware but not a huge biggie.

I put together the frame so I could get an understanding of the space available and to plan out my electronics layout. I'll be mounting a Hoverfly sport board on the frame so I had to drill my own holes for that. I believe the frame is ready for the CC board which I wish I had but I don't so....

The frame itself weighed in at 341g which is probably a little heavier than usual due to my larger metric hardware.

The layout is fantastic and it looks like there will be lots of room to mount FPV gear so this will hopefully be a nice clean install. The Rib bones landing gear is great, flexible and nearly indestructible! I even ordered some extra rib bones for my other frames.

Here are some initial frame photos:

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Last edited by AeroVideoUS; Apr 11, 2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Put link to web site to buy frame for those interested.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Looking forward to this build

Looking forward to your build of this frame. I almost purchased it. Looks tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
I decided I needed one of those spider shaped FPV frames with the camera up front and I decided to go with the Frankenquad Designs FPV Zombie. I've had one of their little quad frames before and it was a little tank! Tough as nails and I liked the clamping of the booms instead of drilling through them, makes replacement relatively easy.

I ordered on Wednesday evening and received it on Saturday, NICE! Just in time for a weekend build.

The only drawback which may or may not be a drawback for others is that the frame doesn't come with metric hardware so I had to use my own hardware for the build. Seems like everything in the RC world is metric these days so it would be nice to see metric hardware but not a huge biggie.

I put together the frame so I could get an understanding of the space available and to plan out my electronics layout. I'll be mounting a Hoverfly sport board on the frame so I had to drill my own holes for that. I believe the frame is ready for the CC board which I wish I had but I don't so....

The frame itself weighed in at 341g which is probably a little heavier than usual due to my larger metric hardware.

The layout is fantastic and it looks like there will be lots of room to mount FPV gear so this will hopefully be a nice clean install. The Rib bones landing gear is great, flexible and nearly indestructible! I even ordered some extra rib bones for my other frames.

Here are some initial frame photos:

Paul
topjimmie is offline Find More Posts by topjimmie
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:43 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Thanks! Yes this frame looks to be like my first one from them, it's a tank! Very tough... although the battery cross bar is a little bit flimsy, I think it's because of the slits cut into it.

I have a REALLY hard time keeping the weight down on my builds, not sure why. But with all the FPV gear, batteries and go pro, this thing weighed in at 1550g! Yikes!

I was having problems with some turnigy 1050kv motors so I had to switch to my only other available motors which were some 750kv purple RCTimer motors. The frame is supposed to have 8-9" props but due to my overweight quad and the low kv motors I had to squeeze some 10" apc props on it to get it off the ground. But it flew really well and it was quite windy/gusty outside.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow and post some pics. Hopefully, I'll even get in an FPV flight or 2!

Paul
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
737 Posts
Looks good paul.... Always been sceptical about metal on an FPV frame. Looking forward to more pix, stats and real world feedback.
juz70 is offline Find More Posts by juz70
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juz70 View Post
Looks good paul.... Always been sceptical about metal on an FPV frame. Looking forward to more pix, stats and real world feedback.
Yeah I agree with you Justin, metal on an FPV frame isn't so hot. I think the best reception I ever had was when i first started out with my little Gaui 330x

However, I'm hoping I can overcome some of that by creative mounting of components.

Right now I have my VTx out on an arm, I'm hoping that will help.

Here are some pics of the setup:
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Here's some LOS video from the maiden flight. The main video is from the go pro and the pip video is the FPV camera. I wanted to see how much interference this setup had as well as vibrations on both cameras.

This is my first video test from the FPV Zombie!

FrankenQuad FPV Test Flight (3 min 58 sec)

Paul
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:06 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
So I've got 750Kv motors on this quad and with 10" props on 3S it felt pretty sluggish even though the AUW is at about 1550g.

I had purchased two 4000mah 4s batteries but have never used them yet. I checked the motors, esc, and controller, all could handle 4s so I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

So out to the driveway I went, at about 11pm to do a quick test flight. Got everything hooked up, armed the quad and took off. Everything seemed great, thought it was flying pretty smoothly but it was hard to tell in the dark. Well I decided to do a quick throttle punch just to see if it still felt sluggish... HOLY CRAP!!! This thing took off like a ROCKET and was nearly out of site with just a quick punch of the throttle, woah! Sluggish no more!

Am I going to be running into any trouble running 4s on this quad? If I go with a smaller 2200Mah pack will I still see good flight times? I know I'll need to keep a close eye on motor/esc temps but just wondering if there's anything else I should look out for? I was thinking of going to smaller 8" props to hopefully have a smoother ride for my GoPro and FPV cam, will this work?

I only have the 4000Mah 4s at the moment. I've ordered a 2200 and a 3000 to experiment with. 4s could be fun!

Paul
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Yeah I agree with you Justin, metal on an FPV frame isn't so hot. I think the best reception I ever had was when i first started out with my little Gaui 330x

However, I'm hoping I can overcome some of that by creative mounting of components.

Right now I have my VTx out on an arm, I'm hoping that will help.

Here are some pics of the setup:
Sweet, nice set up. Great looking quad. I really like how you put the motor/ESC wires down the arm tubes.
topjimmie is offline Find More Posts by topjimmie
Last edited by topjimmie; Mar 12, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
Off my horse
Joined Apr 2011
273 Posts
I ordered one of these guys last Thursday. Can't wait to get it, hopefully it will come today or tomorrow. Last week I was on hobbyking and really close to pulling the trigger on a 4s pack because my last build had some issues getting any real elevation on 3s. I'll post some pics of my build when I get it.
Chris
empire007 is offline Find More Posts by empire007
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:58 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmie View Post
Sweet, nice set up. Great looking quad. I really like how you put the motor/ESC wires down the arm tubes.
Yeah there was a lot of room inside the center plates so I thought I would try putting the escs in there and it worked! Made it easy to keep it clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire007 View Post
I ordered one of these guys last Thursday. Can't wait to get it, hopefully it will come today or tomorrow. Last week I was on hobbyking and really close to pulling the trigger on a 4s pack because my last build had some issues getting any real elevation on 3s. I'll post some pics of my build when I get it.
Chris
Cool! I'm sure you'll like it. It's a pretty tough little frame with lots of room to mount stuff. I actually moved my camera to underneath the forward plate so I could mount my FPV camera on top. It seems to be working well.

Definitely post pics here once you get yours setup, would love to have a collection of pics and videos from this frame.

I've never flown with 4s before last nights test flight, so it's going to be interesting to see how well it works out in the long run.

Paul
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Off my horse
Joined Apr 2011
273 Posts
Frame came in yesterday. It went together really quickly. I had to drill out the landing gear and new holes for my DIY board. It seems like it will be very sturdy. I'll post more pics when I get all my electronics mounted.
empire007 is offline Find More Posts by empire007
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
103 Posts
Has anyone else had vibration problems with this frame?

A big reason for my vibration was not putting the standoffs between the motor mounts. FYI
Jamison816 is offline Find More Posts by Jamison816
Last edited by Jamison816; Mar 18, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
700kv is definitely 4s territory
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empire007 View Post
Frame came in yesterday. It went together really quickly. I had to drill out the landing gear and new holes for my DIY board. It seems like it will be very sturdy. I'll post more pics when I get all my electronics mounted.
That's looking great, at the rate you're going you'll probably be flying FPV before I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison816 View Post
Has anyone else had vibration problems with this frame?
Unfortunately, I have vibration problems with ALL my frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
700kv is definitely 4s territory
That's what I'm beginning to think as well, good call, thanks!

Paul
Last edited by AeroVideoUS; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:09 AM
where things come alive!
United States, NJ
Joined May 2011
460 Posts
Paul... awesome info.... love the video.... and I also like that you weighed it down and its still flying well.... thank you again
FrankenQuad is offline Find More Posts by FrankenQuad