HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2003, 09:22 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
How to shape wing fillets?

I'm working on a Patton P-63 and am having trouble shaping the fillets. What's a good tool/technique for not screwing this up on my NEXT plane? Here's a couple pics of my mess so far.

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2003, 09:24 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
and the semi hacked result.....
Old Oct 17, 2003, 09:42 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about ripping these off and trying again, any suggestions or ideas?

Jeff
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:09 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,018 Posts
Hey Jeff, don't rip them off - they look pretty good, actually. It wasn't that long ago almost no one tried to do fillets on foamies so this is already a step up. Hopefully, TFLG will chime in here but my one suggestion is to use a wooden dowel with some 80 grit wrapped around it. I have a couple of diameters for different jobs and they really help. I think TFLG and some others use a different material for the fillets - maybe some spackle or microballoons. You might try coating what you have here with some spackle and smoothing that out a bit.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:17 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
8,822 Posts
The only foam plane I have put "real" fillets on was the spitfire. I put the fillets on the plane before I taped it. I glued the wing to the fuse and then added the fillets pretty much the same way you did it. I just roughed them in with some 80 grit wraped on a piece of PVC pipe. When I got the shape close I covered them with spackle sanded and repeated the spackle until I got them smooth. Then I spackled and sanded the whole airframe and then taped and covered it.

It will be hard to spackle your fillets because of the tape already on the plane. The spackle will not stick to the tape so it will make it very hard to get a nice blend from the fillet to the fuse and wing. You could always goop over it I guess.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:25 AM
Cordova, Alaska
Joined Feb 2003
70 Posts
Jeff,
I think you should continue with them. They look good to me.
The only thing I see wrong is that your not finished with that plane yet. haha
Tony
Kodman is offline Find More Posts by Kodman
Old Oct 18, 2003, 02:29 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys, I guess I leave these on for now and see if I can fair them in a little. I'll give goop a shot since spackle is out.

Easy kodboy, how's your Ki coming along?

Jeff
Old Oct 18, 2003, 04:39 PM
Magic Bloke!
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
488 Posts
They look good to me.

Just picking up on a point TFLG made. If you put the fillets on first and then tape, surely you are going to comprimise on airframe strength as the tape is going to no longer be running down the main structure of the airframe. Particularly as this is an area where the fus may be hollowed out on the inside.

Would it not be better to tape the airframe like normal and then add fillets. Speckle the exposed foam and blend it in with say a bead of hotglue made smooth with a wet finger or something. Then tape over that and finish?

Brett
bsirrell is offline Find More Posts by bsirrell
Old Oct 18, 2003, 05:04 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
That's kinda where I'm at Brett. I've tried to fair the fillets into the wing with a bead of goop, then spackled the foam to sand to shape. Hopefully this experiment will work out. In hindsight, I should have made longer foam fillets.

Jeff
Old Oct 18, 2003, 05:52 PM
Magic Bloke!
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
488 Posts
keep up the good work, I ma going to have a go at fillets as well on my Spit. May evnt try bolt on wings.

Brett
bsirrell is offline Find More Posts by bsirrell
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:40 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Progress!!

Here's where I'm at so far.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:41 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
bottom view
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:50 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
The bulk of the wing fairing was done with foam aft, a bead of goop forward, (should have used foam) and plenty of spackle. I even built up the spackle aft to fair into the fuselage, (should have used foam).
I've got a couple divots in the aft portion of the fairing that has been filled and is waiting to be sanded. My intention is to tape the whole fairing with strapping tape to protect the shape before covering. Is there anything else I should do to add strength? I gotta tell ya, after working on just the fairing for over a week, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it on a foamie. It's been a pain in the backside and taken quite a bit of time. Spackle, let dry, sand. Repeat.

My question is this: Is this spackle going to survive for any length of time? Will it shatter on my first or even second impact or fuse flex? Any guesses would be appreciated. I'd hate to fly it for a month and end up with a crushed mess.

Jeff
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:07 AM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,409 Posts
Spackle is pretty brittle stuff after it dries out. A trick that has worked for me in the past is to saturate the spackle with thin CA glue. It kind of petrifies the spackle and helps hold it together.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:04 AM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,633 Posts
Do they have to be foam? Would balsa work? I've made many a balsa fillet , I like to use a piece of wing skin ply aginst the wing for strength where it gets thin and glue balsa on for the fillet. Looks like you are not making this wing removable so maybe the ply is unnecessary.

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58