Last edited by skye8070; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Adding links
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
Mid Ohio (Columbus) Soaring Society ALES contests

I'm also a member of the MOSS club in Columbus. We'd love to have new sailplane pilots join us. See the ALES contest schedule in Greg's post below. In addition we're going to have a series of LSF Task Days with a winch and open to any sailplane type. Come fly what you have and we'll help you get your LSF I, II and ?? tasks down. This will be at our flying site north of Columbus we call Area 51.

April 7
May 12
June 23 (this will be before the MOSS summer Solstice Contest CD Mark Groves)
July 22
Sept 23

Again post up here if for more information or see this discussion group for MOSS topics:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mossohio/
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Last edited by skye8070; May 22, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Schedule changes and added links
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
Hey Skye, get your ALES schedules into the ALES League and we'll get them posted for you.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2005
68 Posts
Moss ales 2012

Here is the MOSS ALES schedule and information for 2012.
this will be our first season. These are non sanctioned contests.
Proof of Current AMA Membership required to fly
AMA Nats rules, except considering 5 meter landing tapes
entry fee: $5
entry fee refund for:
1)You are flying in your first ALES Contest ever
2)You get your first ever LSF I distance landing of 3 meters or less
3)You get your first ever LSF II distance landing of 1.5 meters or less
4)you get landing points and land within 10 sec of the task time for the first
time in your flying career.
5)You Win Place or Show for the first time in your flying career
6)You finish in last place and you flew all the rounds of the contest
7)You are younger than 18 years old

event will be held at the Ohio Willow Wood plant 15441 Scioto Darby Road, Mt. Sterling 43143.,

Pilots meeting 9:30am flying to begin at 10 am

Dates:
April 21
May 19
June 30
July 21
Sept 22

for more information or to register contact Greg Bell at gbell3@insight.rr.com

Our web site is under construction.

Thanks, Greg "Doc" Bell
GliderDriver45 is offline Find More Posts by GliderDriver45
Last edited by GliderDriver45; Mar 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: corrected address for flying site
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:47 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
Doc,
I'm excited about the ALES events and the location. I love flying out at Ohio Willow Wood. Just a beautiful setting out in the country with long sight lines and very few trees. For ALES especially it's a nice site because we can fly off a grass runway originally setup for (very occasional) full scale aircraft operations. For you out of towners thinking about stopping by for one of these events I don't think you'll be disappointed.

By the way, I don't think I can edit the name of the thread to include Columbus but if someone out there knows how please let me know!

-Skye
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:53 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
Hey Skye, get your ALES schedules into the ALES League and we'll get them posted for you.

Randy
Hey Randy!
I saw that site, it's a neat concept. Reminds me of the F3K team selection site from last year a little bit. I'll mention it to Greg and the DARTS CD's and leave it up to them just so they understand what they're signing up for. In case there are standards they need to meet as far as contest rules.
-Skye
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,525 Posts
Randy, what do we ned to do to get the Nats ALES on the schedule?

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:30 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
Marc,

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you mean the Nats ALES on the ALES League website? If so, it's been there. It's the one in red. Or, are you talking about something else?

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,525 Posts
Do not mind me Randy, the whole Nats is out of kisters to me since it is in August this year, note to self, look in correct month!

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:45 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
April 7th LSF Task Day will start at Noon

Just a reminder we'll start our LSF Task Day at so-called Area 51, the field behind the Powell YMCA on Liberty Road this Saturday at 11:30 AM in order to work around the sports practice activity in the other end of the field. We'll have a couple winches out. Unfortunately we don't have blank LSF aspirant forms yet so if you're just starting out on that path hopefully you've already gotten one from www.silentflight.org. We hope to correct that problem in the next couple weeks.

-Skye
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:21 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
MOSS LSF Task Day #I Report

LSF Task Day #I is in the books

First, I'm happy to announce "Doc" Greg Bell continued his journey by logging a 30 minute flight for Level III. He flew his Sovereign perfectly. Mostly his struggle as the flight went on was balancing the need to follow the lift and yet not let the plane get too far up and away down wind. I think by having a few other guys at the field in the air it certainly aided in spotting lift. Congrats Greg!

Pilots & planes included..
Skye Malcolm- Pike Perfect (noticed a bad flap linkage after one flight) and then flew Sovereign
Mark Groves - Paragon, Vista
Greg "Doc" Bell - Sovereign, and his new ALES called BOB (Big Oly Bird) made from several parts of several different Ray Hayes kits
Al Schmidt - "Old Timer" Electric and EP Gentle Lady
Ron Mong - Espada RL, 'natch
Jay Watkins - Alula DLG and Radian
Don Harris - EP Bird of Time with Split Flaps, Radian, "Something" 2000 EP 6 servo 2 meter
Tom Nagel - Radian
Carey Songalio - Help me out Carey what were you flying?

We had one winch set out and by 12 the last lacrosse team was done with practice so other than one dog walker we had the field to ourselves the rest of the day. Based on turnout and general mood to tune and test planes and contest scoring programs we never got around to starting a contest. Instead we took turns shagging the chute, launching, flying, lounging around and bench soaring.

There was not a cloud to be seen all day, the winds started out from the NNE but within an hour were so light and variable so as to make for light cross and downwind launches. Thermal activity was to be found at all altitudes and throughout the time we were there. However with no clear wind direction it was sometimes a challenge to find lift if you lost it. The "honey hole" in the NE corner of the field over and just beyond the tree line became a "go to" place as the day went on. So did the parking lot to the south. And up at higher elevations, it was almost like there was one big bubble everywhere. I'm analyzing the somewhat high flight I had by the way, the data is very interesting (CAM3 set to 2 samples/sec) Apparently a Sovereign can fly at 70 mph and still come down in one piece.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2002
303 Posts
Yo cbus

Where are the Moss Dudes hanging out these days?

I have a Radian and hope to bag a couple planes this week at Toledo - Silent Planes that is.

I will be doing my best to get more soaring peeps up at Alum Creek but need to get back with the MOSS folk.

Chip
Chipwillis is offline Find More Posts by Chipwillis
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
Hey Chip, good to hear from you! The most active MOSS field is behind (west) of the YMCA on Liberty Road just a mile or two north of historic part of Powell, Ohio. This field goes by the jazzy name of "Area 51".

Here's a link to my googlemap of this and the other sailplane fields:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...d7be20&t=h&z=5

And if you'd like to know when we're going to be out there the best source is probably the yahoo discussion group (which you'll probably have to join to see the posts):

Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2002
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
Hey Chip, good to hear from you! The most active MOSS field is behind (west) of the YMCA on Liberty Road just a mile or two north of historic part of Powell, Ohio. This field goes by the jazzy name of "Area 51".

Here's a link to my googlemap of this and the other sailplane fields:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...d7be20&t=h&z=5

And if you'd like to know when we're going to be out there the best source is probably the yahoo discussion group (which you'll probably have to join to see the posts):

Thanks man!
Chipwillis is offline Find More Posts by Chipwillis
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
DARTS Schedule version 04/17/2012

21 April Darts April Club Contest Changed to Saturday
The parks people used a fancy new computer system that told them the horse jumping cross country event and a sailplane event were OK to run on the same day and same field. Turns out horses can not find thermals or make very good spot landings so we had to cancel the sailplane contest.
-Skye
Last edited by skye8070; Apr 17, 2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: changed schedule