HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2005
83 Posts
Discussion
GETTING BACK INTO THE HOBBY!!! need major help

Hi there guys...its been a very very long time since i have flown an r/c airplane..i love foamies....kinda lost on everything since i have not kept up with all the new things and stuff that have came out. but i could use some help on finding some plans...what i would like is a bipe that looks like a pitts special or a p-51 mustang...im open to cartoon styles of these as well..i would like plans for a wing as well...maybe the foamfly.com wing...i have plans for foamfly hippo and that thing is awesome but want something little differant...
i would be open to a duct fan plane as well

heres the gear i have:
MOTORS
gws ips a
gws ips std b
i have the motors from the wattage b-2 bomber not sure what they are. maybe they could be used for a wing?
i have some duct fan motor too...not sure what it is but the plane i tore it out of went pretty quick
BATTERIES
gws 7.2v 270 mah ni-cd
some wattage 6 cell battery...
SERVOS
2 of the hs-55

i have the hitec feather reciever wit the c-5 nano ESC

radio does have mixer for the wing

obviously for anyother plane like the pitts special i will using rudder and elevators only

THANKS in advance
woohoo is offline Find More Posts by woohoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,400 Posts
All kinds of free foam plans in the foam scratch build section to choose from .I would start looking there. . Dollar tree foam sheets are low cost and there are plans for that in the scratch foam build section also. good luck. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
Welcome back, Woohoo! Things have changed a bit ...

wow! that gear is a real blast from the past! One thing you will find is most all the plans here on scratchbuiltfoamies are set up for Lipos and brushless motors, both because they maximize power for weight, and now they are cheap. You will not find a whole lot that will work well with those motors, but there are some. Have you checked out the "600+ planes thread? That guy has catalogued most all the planes that have been posted and have build threads on the forum. There is a second plans thread right next to it on the top of the forum main page in the "stickies" area.

You can't go cheaper than my OneSheetWing (click on my avatar to go to my blog and see the onesheet list) it's a single sheet of dollar store foam, two 9gm (like the hs55's)servos, 1700Kv Blu wonder motor, 10 amp speedcontrol and takes an 850-900mah 2s lipo. All that gear is pretty standard stuff for many of the foamies on the forum, so can be swapped in and out.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2005
83 Posts
Sorry.in.advance.for.the.periods.in.between.each.w ord.but.im.at.work.and.using.my.phone.and.it.wont. let.me.use.the.space.bar.....but.im.probably.going .to.stick.with.the.gear.I.have...attempting.to.buy .my.first.house.so.I.don't.wanna.spend.a.whole.lot .of.money.....so.hopefully.I.can.find.something.I. like....and.yea.I.just.noticed.that.thread.with.th e.600.plans...I.would.think.I.should.find.somethin g.I.like.haha
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
70 Posts
If you want to go with the one sheet foamies, first try your local dollar tree for dollar tree foamboard, also known as Adam's Foamboard. The paper can be removed by hand. If you local Dollar Tree does not have one like the one in my town, go to Walmart and get a sheet of Elmer's foamboard. Elmer's foamboard is a little more brittle and expensive, but still works. If you already have rubbing alcohol, use that to remove the paper from Elmer's Foamboard.

Also, you might want to get bamboo skewers or popsicle sticks to strengthen the foam.

Another note: the gear that springer just mentioned costs about 30 to 40 dollars from Hobby King.
teflyer is offline Find More Posts by teflyer
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2005
83 Posts
Yea.wow.that's.ALOT.cheaper.than.when.I.first.got. into.the.hobby.....gets.me.excited.to.know.that... .kinda.would.like.to.try.to.build.an.f86.sabre.wit h.my.ducted.fan.motor
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
70 Posts
Yep! Electronics are a lot cheaper now. Of course, with Hobby King, since it is located in Hong Kong, you do have to take into account shipping costs. Perhaps ten dollars more to what I just estimated by registered mail (that should take about two weeks on average)
teflyer is offline Find More Posts by teflyer
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:35 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
I haven't checked recently, but a year ago when I put this list together, it cost just about $20US, and at under 100gms qualified for the cheapest shipping from HK which is around $3. there are cheaper but heavier motors like the 24gm Blu wonders and the 9gm Hextronic or HK servos are stronger than the 5gm at the same price. You may slip to the next higher shipping cost, but it's usually about $5-6, so not too bad.

for a slow flyer, you could easily stay with the motors and servos, and just get a speed control (but you will need a brushed esc, and as you upgrade, will be wanting a brushless esc, so will have to buy the esc with the motor), But I'd strongly suggest going to lipo's. they made my experience amazingly more fun (I started with nimh packs just when lipos were coming in and was concerned about all the fire stories - I now know that they were due to letting packs get imbalanced and charging with incorrect chargers) You will need a lipo capable charger, and you can get a simple charger that works fine if somewhat slow for about $8 for 2s and 3s cells.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:54 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
as already mentioned, the biggest issue for scratchbuilt foamies, as in almost all flight, is power to weight ratio. With nicd batts, they weigh more and your motors will have limited thrust. You could probably build a small indoor foamie with that gear, but if you want something bigger that can handle outdoors wind, IMO, you will have to spend some money on better gear.

Maybe the Blu-Baby 24 would work with your gear. Check this out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Last edited by Byrdman; Mar 04, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Oct 2005
83 Posts
i guess i did forget to mention i do have a speed control as well...yea im going to see what i can build with the things i have now since i am trying to buy a house....but with the lipo batteries you guys are mentioning, i can use one with the equipent i have?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:55 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
with the motor and speed control, yes, but you will have to get a charger that can handle the Lipos. You can get one that's a nice starter unit for about $8us at dealextreme.com, and I think Hobbyking sells them for about that (free shipping from DE, tho). I'd suggest something like this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
This charger is the cheapest you can get. needs a 12volt dc source, like a wallwart power supply, tho; http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ger_2S_3S.html

I have this one and it's nice as it can charge from .1amps to 4.5 amps, it also needs 12v dc : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Charger_.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Oct 2005
83 Posts
Nice.I.really.would.like.a.gee.bee.that.can.take.m y.gear...I.will.get.lipo.batteries.if.I.have.to.fo r.right.now.......gonna.check.on.the.dollar.tree.f oam
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:08 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
I have this balance charger for my lipos http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Charger/Detail

It's cheap, AC, and does the job. Make sure you review the batts that can be charged by this one.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2005
83 Posts
just bought 3 sheets of that dollar tree foam....ive been watching the videos in the foamboard university thread..thats some good stuff..definately will help me build my own design sometime...gotta clean my little art room and start building..not exactly sure what im going to build first but i definately wanna build your one sheet wing sometime springer...watching the video thats exactly what im looking for in a wing
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
It's a fun little plane, can't beat the airframe price, and once balanced out will fly fast or slow anyway you want.

I assume you haven't been out of it long enough as to have to relearn the sticks? If you have then nearly everybodys' fave the BluBaby is an awfully versatile plane to start with. I've built several, and have done UC/RET, KFM3/aileron, twin rotor autogyro wings, and flown with wheels, snow skis and even floats with the same fuselage. Tough to beat that for versatility.
RCG Plus Member