SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Build Log
Miss America VIII

Here is my latest scratch building project of the 1929 Garwood Miss America VIII.

It is a double planked mahogany hull. Baltic birch frames. Model is 62" long with a 19" beam.

And is powered by two Authentic Scale V-12 90cc engines.

The keel was laid one year ago on March 1 2011 and I have about 600 hours into it so far. I still have a ways to go before it is running.

Stay tuned....
JimsBoats is offline Find More Posts by JimsBoats
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,417 Posts
Welcome to RCgroups

Gorgeous engines...Please post a video so we can see and hear this run.
Even if it is just sitting on the bench...

How are you going to steer the model?

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,795 Posts
Welcome to the site. Great looking boat.

Umi - some of the MISS AMERICA boats had the rudder forward, about 1/3 aft of the bow. The model pictured has the rudder aft of the bow - under the word MISS, and the servo is shown installed forward of the engines.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,815 Posts
HEY JIM!!! How is it going? I just received your photos of “MISS AMERICA VIII” and I still say you keep coming up with one winner after another. I remember when you started with the “VULGAR BOY” with the Conley V-8, then the “APHRODITE” which I think has to be my favorite. I wish you would post the pictures of the build of the “APHRODITE” here on the forum. I am sure the guys and gals would flip over the detail you put into that model.

I am still working on my Hacker Gold Cup Racer for the Toledo show, and working on the static build of the Rolls Royce V-12 for her. I think I will be contacting you for a bunch of pictures of one of the LIBERTY V-12’S so I can make a mock up of the engine for the “BABY GAR IV”.

I am so glad that you finally decided to get on the forum, so that so many others can share in the master craftsmanship of your models.

Your friend,
Rich Koll (frankg)
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Jul 20, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:41 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,862 Posts
Hello Jim,

Thanks for joining and showing us one of your builds. I'm drooling over that twin engine boat. Good Lord, that thing is awesome!

Yes, please have someone video the engines running and making that symphony of sound we all want to hear.

This is going to be a one of a kind in the world model boat.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:51 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
The V-12 engines are awesome. Did you build the engines?

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
Hello everyone! Thank you for the welcome and the complements.

-Umi and CG Bob. There is actually a bow rudder like the original boat had. There are rigid heavy duty struts on the back for the props.

-Rich! Thanks so much for the complements. I will be posting some photos of Aprodite and Totally Screw'd (with the Conley V-8)some time soon.

Kmot- When I get the engines running I will be taking video. In the mean time you can go here for a youtube video of it!

OHRNDORF V12 Modellmotor RC engine HD-Version (3 min 0 sec)

Right now I'm working on the step up gearboxes and fly wheels for the engines(with the help of a master machinist friend), the fuel and ignition systems.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
7 Posts
-Ed, No I did not build the engines they came from Authentic Scale in Rockville, MD.

http://www.authenticscale.com/index.html
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,862 Posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,039 Posts
Amazing. The only way I would ever build a gas boat (not allowed in our club or on my neighborhood lake) is if it would sound just like that. The buzzy glow engines don't do anything for me, but the low burble of that exhaust is like music.
Well done and good on ya!

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
That is simply awesome...
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:11 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsBoats View Post
Hello everyone! Thank you for the welcome and the complements.

-Umi and CG Bob. There is actually a bow rudder like the original boat had. There are rigid heavy duty struts on the back for the props.

-Rich! Thanks so much for the complements. I will be posting some photos of Aprodite and Totally Screw'd (with the Conley V-8)some time soon.

Kmot- When I get the engines running I will be taking video. In the mean time you can go here for a youtube video of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xORe-dm5Qro

Right now I'm working on the step up gearboxes and fly wheels for the engines(with the help of a master machinist friend), the fuel and ignition systems.
Curious as to why there is no oil splashing all over from the rocker arms. Any engine I've ever worked on would be throwing oil every which way opened up like that.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:27 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,862 Posts
That's because the engines you worked on had wet sumps and pressurized oiling systems. Small block Chevy's were really notorious for the splatter.

My guess is that this engine is glow, and so has oil mixed in the glow fuel. Glow fuel engines have sort of a splash lube system, but really it's more of a weeping system as the fuel and vapors carry the oil..
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
That's because the engines you worked on had wet sumps and pressurized oiling systems. Small block Chevy's were really notorious for the splatter.

My guess is that this engine is glow, and so has oil mixed in the glow fuel. Glow fuel engines have sort of a splash lube system, but really it's more of a weeping system as the fuel and vapors carry the oil..
Could be but the fuel wouldn't be anywhere near the rocker arms to lube them, would it? And the wires look like plug wires, or would each cylinder need a glow igniter?
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:22 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,666 Posts
This thread added to WOODIES: Wooden Pleasure Craft Build Logs listing.

Path: RCGroups -> Boats -> Scale Boats ->"WOODIES..."

WOW!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member