Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:08 PM
tater salad
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Jul 2008
628 Posts
Discussion
is this a good starter plane?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...e-rtf-24g.html

I know the basics of flying and all that, but this would be my first rc rtf airplane. I like it cuz of the price.

my question is:

Is this a good starter plane?
nick84 is offline Find More Posts by nick84
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:13 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,257 Posts
It's not bad.Got any stick time on a Sim. ? Can't beat the price.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:18 PM
tater salad
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Jul 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
It's not bad.Got any stick time on a Sim. ? Can't beat the price.
i got probly about 2 hours on a sim. i have flown a real plane as well, so thats why i know the basics of flying.
nick84 is offline Find More Posts by nick84
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:18 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,781 Posts
I'd recommend a Super Cub, Mini Super Cub or Champ from HobbyZone--you can't beat the performance, customer service, availability of spare parts, etc.--I wish I'dknown when I was starting!
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:20 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
i got probly about 2 hours on a sim. i have flown a real plane as well, so thats why i know the basics of flying.
This one here http://secure.hobbyzone.com/index/in...f/HBZ7400.html

Would be easier and a lot more forgiving.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:00 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,270 Posts
Quote:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...e-rtf-24g.html

I know the basics of flying and all that, but this would be my first rc rtf airplane. I like it cuz of the price.

my question is:

Is this a good starter plane?
Foam
High wing
Large wing span for stability
NitroPlanes cusomer service is fair to good
Attractive price.

All good points for a starter.

As was said, sim time is priceless
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Certainly a better choice than a HZ supercub with its proprietary electronics and lack of ailerons. I learned on a similar Cessna 182 from Flyzone. This one might be even better because it has more (non scale) dihedral in the wing. It will help if you can find an instructor with a buddy box.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,942 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Have flown, or a checked out pilot? I am and I'll tell ya .... this RC stuff is a lot harder than sitting in the left seat! 2 hours of sim means that you know how to hit the reset button, not the same as flyin' these things. Do yourself a favor and start small with NO wind. GL, sounds like you are pressing on. You already ordered the plane, right?

Don
dkrhardy is online now Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,304 Posts
Hey now,
If you've already ordered it it sort of ok. If you haven't the Horizon hobbies models are really good.
Um, stick time in full sized aircraft is actually a bit of a detriment in learning model flight. Every full size pilot I've ever taught had a harder time of learning than someone who never flew anything. There's a lot you have to unlearn and the altered perspective issue can be a big one.
RobII
elfwreck is online now Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Maybe he just really likes the looks of it... The thing about the Cub is that it has been tested and flown by so many people on here (including me). We all know it makes for a great trainer. The one from Nitroplanes looks to me like it would make a great trainer to me, but it just doesn't have the reputation the Cub does. I myself started on a cub and I love it, but I think some people (especially here on RCG) think it is the only possible way to go and will forget that there are other planes that make great trainers (this isn't directed at anyone in particular). At least OP is not like some others trying to start with an EDF!

It certainly is a nice looking plane, with attractive features such as flaps and ailerons. If you think you are going to seriously get into RC, I would recommend you get the ARF of that plane (if you get it). I would also buy a nice used transmitter, such as a Spektrum DX6i or DX7. It will set you back a bit more at first, but it will certainly be worth it in the long run. The ARF actually comes with all the servos, ESC, and motor pre-installed.

I read a few of the reviews for it and everyone seems to say it's a great plane, the only negative comments I saw were for the nose gear being unfriendly for grass landings.

Welcome to RC and good luck!

Sean
srthomas218 is offline Find More Posts by srthomas218
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,304 Posts
Hey now,
Trikes and rough runways are never a good combination. Grass, dirt and even rough pavement tend tobeip out or otherwise damage nose gear. Although on a smooth surface trikes are easier to take off at first so that's a point in it's favor.

The Cubs are nice enough but it's not the ideal trainer either it's just better supported than Nitro planes generaly are. This plane also has more gimicks than you really want on a primary trainer. Flap will just get in the way and confuse takeoff and landing issues. And the nifty cool scale details won't hold up well through training. Also the flight compromises lean towards looking cool rather than ease of flight.

Cub downsides; they're taildraggers and that can make takeoff a bit more complicated and I'd prefer folks learned ailerons from the start.

I like the Great Planes Sensie. It's a nice big floaty thing without too many frills. The Multiplex easy cub is decent too. As is their Mentor. E-Flite's Aprentice is nice enough. Looks nifty and flies nicely. Even the Parkzone T-28 is pretty good with sim time or a buddy box. Lots of good choices out there. But every group gets caught by their favorite trainer even if it isn't great.
Back when I learned the hip trainer was the Goldberg Falcon 56 with an OS Max .35 on the nose and there were far better trainers then. It's just what the local experts liked so it took over the field.
RobII
elfwreck is online now Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,942 Posts
It is big, looks nicer than the average trainer, so I see the draw toward it. I looked for the wing loading and it does not have the numbers I understand. What does Wing Loading: 34g/dmē convert to? That would tell me a lot more. It might make a decent trainer on a buddy box, or with a good instructor standing at your side.
Don
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:03 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,272 Posts
34g/dm^2 would be 34 grams per square decimeter of wing area, which is 10cm on a side. There are roughly 9 of them in a square foot, so we're looking at a bit under 11oz/ft^2 wing loading. Not too bad...
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,942 Posts
Smart alec show off!
Thanks, numbers I'm familiar with!
Don
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
I just bought one of these cessnas, the same thing but the FMS one. Haven't flown this one yet (going on floats) but I would not recommend it for a 1st plane.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP