SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:20 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Ok, the parts are being printed. I installed the second servo yesterday, so I can focus on the aerodynamics soon. Only the canopy is missing now.

Chris
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:46 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Good to hear Chris.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:30 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Yeah

The parts arrived. And btw I upgraded my computer with an ssd drive. Incredible (OT)!!! Pics next...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Here they are
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Nice stuff Chris!

I found a printing firm that will print down to 0.1mm without whining about it. Just in liaison with them now, and more than 30% cheaper than SW!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:16 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Looks great Chris. The accuracy for the size looks awesome.

NC - that's awesome if it works out. SWs latest shipping price ruined them for us down here...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:43 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Nice stuff Chris!

I found a printing firm that will print down to 0.1mm without whining about it. Just in liaison with them now, and more than 30% cheaper than SW!

Wow cheaper than shapeways is already hard to believe. What about strength of the material? Do they have a web page?

BTW, the nacelle ends with 0 thickness, they didn't complain about that either. I believe the same would apply to the blades, if the thickest point in the airfoil is at least .3mm.

I will try to build a first motor with that new frame on Tuesday. Still on the road...

Chris
Last edited by Chris T; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:20 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
This is what I am talking about
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:00 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
We need a finger or something to give scale. I have a sneaking suspicion these things are 'king small!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:55 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
WOW this is some great work chris. I usually only like Prop planes but this is to incredible not to follow. Who knows You may sway me to the EDF side lol. Again Incredible work.

Joe
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:22 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Up and running. I broke a nacelle and used the motor cone for testing. Needs to be a bit wider

Chris
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:20 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
Finally integrated! Running on 100krpm+ I added some ventilation holes
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:09 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Giddyup! Looking good there Chris.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,293 Posts
Now that's what you call MICRO!!! Nice touch with the Leggo figure.
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:56 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
First measurement

Voltage: 4.1V
Current: .55A
RPM: 103k
Thrust: 1.3g

That feels pretty good already, the airstream is focused impressively. For a target weight of 3g, this seems pretty close. Unfortunately, I will have to go with a 30mA cell to achieve these currents, which raises the total weight to about 4g. Anyway, for the very first test without any optimization, I am pretty confident that I can make the squall fly.

I did a little mistake in the end. While running fully loaded, I touched the esc to check the temperatur, and I must have pushed a motor terminal to the supply line. The result was a motor stall and the coil was powered for a couple of seconds without the rotor moving. It finally started smoking. The controller is still fine, but the motor now runs around 90krpm. Probably the magnet got partially demagnetized. The esc seems to be indestructible. This new bridge protects itself. I even had a motor lead connected to supply initially. No problem for the esc. Over temp and over current protection. For the first time, the motor dies before the esc I need to figure out why the code can produce a stall. Even if it happens, the coil should be switched off, so no motor killing can take place that way. I think this is what some of you (Dan) experienced as well with my controller. I also figured that if the motor isn't running freely, the stall appears around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, also what Dan reported. A shorted winding could probably cause this, in my case it was the CA distributed into the bushings after overheating. I got it to run freely again and than it ran fine with a bit reduced rpm. So if you experience stalls like Dan, there seems to be a relation to the motor. I will look into this and try to improve the performance. I am quite happy though with the current results. Never thought I could push more than 500mA into such a small motor. Also, I need to compare the performance with the first motor, which has a 3mm magnet instead of 2.5mm. I have the impression, that the reduced magnet size leads to a dramatically increased motor current at comparable rpms. The thrust is also much different, so I need to use the same fan for comparison. It could also be related to the aerodynamics of the new fan.

Chris