HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
174 Posts
Question
Blade 450 X considerations for a pilot in training

I've got myself a Blade 450 X as my next heli as I have a couple of FP's now but have flown CP birds in the past as far as doing basic circuits.

I was wondering if there are any things I should consider doing to the model in the early flights while I am getting back into the CP heli hobby to ease the transition (and potentially the hit on the wallet) such as putting standard blades rather than the CF ones on it etc?

Any suggestions would be welcome...
Grant Smith is offline Find More Posts by Grant Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,356 Posts
I would definitely switch to wooden blades, or even foam blades if you can find ones that fit.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:11 PM
HH Product Developer
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Hi Grant,

Keep the stock CF blades on the 450 X. The headspeed is pretty high and wood blades are not designed to handle those types of loads.

If you getting back into the hobby, I definitely recommend you start out on low rates and stay in normal mode. When flying the 450 X, as soon as the headspeed is high enough, get it off the ground. Do not "float" the model or get it light on the skids. Get the helicopter in the air as quickly as possible.

Being on the ground with a FBL helicopter is a recipe for disaster.

Take it slow, tone it down, and get it in the air. You'll find that the 450 X is actually quite stable in a hover.

M
MikelG is offline Find More Posts by MikelG
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:33 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,356 Posts
Really, you can't lower headspeed enough to use wooden blades?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:37 PM
HH Product Developer
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
You can, but weird things start to happen. Electrically, the motor and ESC don't like lower throttle settings (you're better off re-gearing). Mechanically, because of the stiff damping, you may get into some low headspeed wobbles.

As the product developer for the Blade 450 X, I can not recommend wooden blades used in any circumstance.
MikelG is offline Find More Posts by MikelG
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
FWIW.....The Blade 450 X manual SPECIFICALLY WARNS NOT TO USE WOOD BLADES!!!
Dave, of HH, has posted this same info in one of the other Forums!!!
Oops...Didn't see Mikel's post here.....so....Ditto, what he said!!
Happy (and SAFE!) Flying!
(PS.......MY 450 X is on its way!! Talk about a 60 year-old kid at Christmas....!!
dasBlade300X is offline Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:41 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,356 Posts
Well thanks, guys. That's good to know. I've never been a fan of CF blades. That's certainly a factor to consider.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Blade 450 X: training gear

Hi,

I noticed that the training gear offered by HH (EFLH1405) is specifically noted as "NOT for use with Flybarless Helicopters".

Is it not advisable to use training gear in general (any make/model) with the 450 X ?

Any insight/advice appreciated.

Cheers,

-PK
pkeas is offline Find More Posts by pkeas
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
pkeas......
After reading Mikel's post about the 450 X's main rotor blades......I have to believe the heli is pretty much set up "balanced" out-of-box.....adding extra weight to it - ANYWHERE - could throw the BeastX stab controller off....Some folks have already started to "mod" out their 450 X's with various and sundry "goodies"....
Yet, the vast majority of owners say they're THRILLED at the out-of-box performance....and basically "....wouldn't change a thing!"
To each his own....but I haven't even had time to get my new 450 X fully "eyeball- checked" yet.......and I'm not about to start messing with settings, parts, etc. until I see what the maiden flight reveals.......!
I have a set of the -1405 gear....and was questioning whether to try it on my "X".....
Since I didn't use TG on my mCPx.....I feel comfortable doing my first "X" flight at our club field....over soft grass......
End of the day......using the training gear on the "X" isn't necessarily "dangerous"....it's just VERY apt to make the heli perform erratically, as it tries to find "balance" with extra weight below the canopy.....
The last sentence is MY OPINION ONLY!! YMMV!!
Good luck!
Happy Flying!
dasBlade300X is offline Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
I got my Blade 450 X yesterday. I also called Horizon Hobby customer service and I've verified that using a training gear is not recommended on this flybarless helicopter. I was hoping I could so I could transition from my MCPX to a 450. Now I'm thinking if I should get the Blade 450 3D.
rmllenado is offline Find More Posts by rmllenado
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
There's no reason you can't still go from the MCPX to the 450 X. It should behave much as the mCPX does. The training gear does more to mess up your flying than it helps, once you can take off and land with confidence. I would assume you can do that with your mCPX, so it shouldn't be a problem with the 450 X.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
Not being able to lower the head-speed eliminates the 450 X as a scale platform. Too bad. I've got a TRex clone with a 3 blade head lowered to about 1800 RPM, and it flies fairly stable without E-Stab. Would have liked to be able to use the E-Flite version with its built-in BeastX for a two bladed Huey or Jet Ranger scale.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
I like watching videos of highspeed heli's just blow up in the air because of wooden blades. Its a real tragedy when that occurs for the pilots wallet.
teamscon is offline Find More Posts by teamscon
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
Not being able to lower the head-speed eliminates the 450 X as a scale platform. Too bad. I've got a TRex clone with a 3 blade head lowered to about 1800 RPM, and it flies fairly stable without E-Stab. Would have liked to be able to use the E-Flite version with its built-in BeastX for a two bladed Huey or Jet Ranger scale.
My guess is that if you are willing to retune the microBeast settings, you can lower the headspeed. People do that with these units all the time. Maybe not optimal.

The suggestion of a lower pinion may help with the motor/ESC issue efficiency issues.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:53 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
As long as softer dampers will get rid of the mechanical problems with the lower head-speed that Mikel spoke of above, then, yes, I'm sure the BeastX unit will be fine with a lower head-speed. Others are using it for everything from 450's to 700's for scale. It just started to sound like the 450 X was engineered completely for insane head-speeds to support 3D. Not all of us want to fly that way. (Probably would have to replace the motor anyway and get around a 2000-2200kv motor to get the head-speed down in the 1650 to 1950 range).