HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
Thanks for the clarrification. Just trying to help. People sometimes confuse flapperons with flaps, which of course are different.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
Hi,

Good topic, I also a user of T9x. I have never ever tried the original FW, immediately switched to ER9x then G9X because of flight modes then Open9X because of Frsky telemetry support.

http://code.google.com/p/open9x/wiki/Open9xFeatures

I think T9X+customFW(Open9x)+FrSky 2.4G unbeatable flexibility and price.

I have just finished my F5J-400 competition glider program with all 4servo wing fancy mixes! Also recently flown my EasyGlider with it. Also open9x+frsky hub provide some extra features, timed mixes(i use them for timed motor cut), also altitude related mixes with frsky altitudemeter(vario), i can do ALES type altitude limiting too.

Really nice staff!!!!

BR
Tamas
Varicopax is offline Find More Posts by Varicopax
Last edited by Varicopax; Apr 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: link added
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
Tamas,

I want to hear more. A LOT more. You are really getting me excited with your post.

It seems you changed across various firmware offerings. Can you tell us more about the changes and what you learned in the process? I am a full house TD glider pilot. Which firmware would you recommend and why?

Have not really given much thought to telemetry but it seems you are doing some really exciting stuff and the firmware seems to be related to what you are doing.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
Hi,

Some background of me and T9x history. So I am a beginner TD pilot, I have tried several type of RC types from heli throrough 3D, but I finally commited for RC soaring. I have a futaba 9c(not a Super), after a my first full house ships I felt maybe I need more programming capabilities. I checked Aurora9 and other radio brand but the cost hold me back. I also met with T9x, but with original FW is "crappy" and the original tx module also have some issues.

I didnt remember how and when i found Er9x, but its was love at first sight, I am an electrical engineer so modding is not a problem. I am amazed of the features and fast growing community and fast FW development.
You can do full house setup easily with Er9x, only i am missed the flight phases that time and better frsky support. But for sport glider flying its perfect!!!!
Then I found Gruvin9x(G9x), which that time already has flight phases, just what glider pilots needs and also had better support. I also requested a few features, but community that time was very small for G9x, one programmer fork and own FW and that became Open9x. I have a good relationship with him. He already implemented a lot of feature that me and glider pilots needs.

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewforum....1fb4bdb06379ca

http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide

So with open9x you can do all mixes that a glider pilot needs, butterfly, flaps, start, thermal, speed, landing flight modes. Custom display for Frsky telemetry, LMR motor cut off, etc etc.

My test glider is my Easy Glider and my RCM Grace for full house. But now I started to convert my competition gliders too.

I suggest to give it a try and you can try out several FWs.

BR
Tamas
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
Tamas, thanks so much. What competition gliders do you fly?

Are you a winch pilot or all electric?

What class of competition do you fly?

I fly winched American Thermal Duration. Kennedy Composite Supra is my main glider.

Altitude Limited Electric Soaring, ALES class. Parkzone Radian is what I am flying at the moment.

I used to fly competition discus launched gliders but injured my leg, so that is now just sport flying. Polecat XP-5 and Kennedy composites Blaster
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
Hi,

My plane is a small Topmodel Siesta for F5J-400 outrunner category. Soon I will have a glass ship for the same category.
I am a full electric guy, but I made a small bike winch for fun I dip in my toes to F3K i have a Osiris Mk2, I also use the open9x for that.

BR
Tamas
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:43 AM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
Hi,

I tried out a new "crow" settings with the open9x. Just to show you some extra capabilities.

So half way from the top to middle on the THR stick only flaps delpoyed approx. 45 degrees. From middle to bottom then normal crow applied. This is with landing flight mode with custom curve for flaps->ele mix.

Maybe a good idea to give me some mix/feature request to check how can we implement that.

BR
Tamas
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:46 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
That is VERY cool. Tamas, you are starting to make me drool.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:52 AM
What goes up, must come down..
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
4 Sailplanes, 5 Flight Modes, Full, Flaperon, and/or V-Tail Mixing

aeajr, and the rest...

Got my FlySky 9X (Turnigy 9X) + SmartieParts board last week and flashed in the Open9X firmware. Everything looked good, so I sat down with the 9X simulator (Companion9X) to develop a set of mixes for my 4-channel Chandelle sailplane. Put together a nice setup, so kept going and expanded it out to four different models: Full House, Full House with V-Tail, Flaperons, and Flaperons with V-Tail.

My intent is to make a good base for all my current and future gliders, including full house (6-channel) sailplanes, DLGs, flaperons, and v-tail. To that extent, I've seperated control surface mixing from stick mixing, to allow easy removal or replacement of v-tail and flaperon/spoileron.

I really value your opinion(s), so was hoping you could have a look at the mixes I put together and provide some feedback over on the 9x forums, specifically on switch & knob placement, mixes, and channel assignment:
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=820
Here's a summary of the features and models:

Quote:
FEATURES
  • 5 Flight Modes: Launch, Catch (see below), Land, Speed, Float
  • Independent Camber and Elevator trim for each flight mode, common Rudder and Aileron trim
  • Full-span Camber/Reflex adjustment on separate sliders for Speed and Float, disable via single switch
  • Full-span Ailerons in Float & Speed mode (Flaps follow Ailerons)
  • Aileron and Flap Differential
  • Flaps/Spoilers on Throttle stick in Land mode, variable Crow when Trainer switch pulled
  • Flaps/Spoilers (+Crow) on separate slider in Catch mode (rather than on Throttle)
  • Snap flap (Elevator to Camber mix), disable via switch
  • Flaps/Spoiler to Elevator compensation on a curve
  • Aileron to Rudder mixing
  • Timer 1 started via Launch switch

MODELS
  • Sail-FULL - Full-house sailplane (6-channel) with traditional tail
  • Sail-FULLV - Full-house sailplane (6-channel) with V-Tail mixing
  • Sail-4FR - Independent aileron servos (4-channel) with Flaperon/Spoiler mixing and traditional tail
  • Sail-4FRVT - Independent aileron servos (4-channel) with Flaperon/Spoiler and V-Tail mixing

FLIGHT PHASES (in priority order)
  • Launch (FP1: THR CUT) - RECOMMEND MOD FP1 TO !THR CUT.
    Use for DLG launch by adjusting elevator trim to rotate-up right after release. Use on other gliders to adjust trim on tow, high-start, winch, etc. Adjust camber with throttle trim to top of airfoil for maximum L/D.
  • Catch (FP2: RUD D/R) - enables flying from the left stick with reduced elevator & aileron D/R, to allow a DLG to be captured in the right hand for a quick turn-around launch. Adjust flaps/spoilers (100%) with HOV PIT knob. Elevator & aileron also controlled by right-stick at 100%. Tx emits a continuous warning in this mode. Small delay switching to/from this mode.
  • Land (FP3: F MODE 2) - flaps follow throttle 100% with small delay. Small delay switching to/from this mode.
  • Crow (TRN) - Instant Crow-mix on Throttle stick in Land or Catch mode. Ailerons jump opposite from flaps for high-drag. Cancels Flaps to Elevator compensation.
  • Speed (FP4: F MODE 1) - Maximum L/D. Adjust flaps with throttle trim to be flush with top of airfoil. Hit ELE D/R switch to enable 25 camber adjustment on HOV THR knob.
  • Float (FP0: F MODE N) - Minimum Sink (default flight mode). Adjust flaps with throttle trim to be flush with bottom of airfoil. Hit ELE D/R switch to enable 25 camber adjustment on PIT TRIM knob.

OTHER
  • Enable D/R and Expo with AIL D/R switch. Currently no D/R or EXPO when AIL D/R is off.
  • Enable Elevator to Camber mixing via GEAR switch.
ZeroPitch is offline Find More Posts by ZeroPitch
Last edited by ZeroPitch; May 08, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cmark View Post
I bought one with 3 receivers. None of the receivers would bind. I threw the whole thing in the garbage!
Bet you didn't try the Bind Plug in the Bat socket ? If you put it to the Bind socket - it doesn't work .... but everyone else knoes that !!
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old May 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPitch View Post
aeajr, and the rest...

Got my FlySky 9X (Turnigy 9X) + SmartieParts board last week and flashed in the Open9X firmware. Everything looked good, so I sat down with the 9X simulator (Companion9X) to develop a set of mixes for my 4-channel Chandelle sailplane. Put together a nice setup, so kept going and expanded it out to four different models: Full House, Full House with V-Tail, Flaperons, and Flaperons with V-Tail.

Snip ....

Here's a summary of the features and models:
That looks like a pretty rich range of set-ups. nice work.

how hard did you find it to set that up on the simulator?
Old May 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
What goes up, must come down..
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Sep 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That looks like a pretty rich range of set-ups. nice work.

how hard did you find it to set that up on the simulator?
Companion9X is in a word: awesome! Far, far easier to get things set up and bench tested than using the transmitter (which is itself pretty simple to use).

That said, it wasn't exactly "easy", because I spent well over 8 hours this weekend working out what to set up, writing it down, getting it programmed, and testing everything out. On the other hand, I doubt I would have even tried to create the other models without the sim: it would have taken far longer and suffered in quality and features.

I did put a flight on my Chandelle over lunch today and everything works perfectly with the Independent Aileron + V-Tail setup. The others were based on this one and bench checked the same way, so I have a lot of confidence they will work out-the-box. This being my first "high end" radio (feature-wise), it was quite fun to fly and I did find the main flight modes + separate camber pots + separate trims to be quite useful... Way better than my DX6i or Futaba 7UAH from back in the day...

I like it!
ZeroPitch is offline Find More Posts by ZeroPitch
Last edited by ZeroPitch; May 07, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Hi, guys. I can't add to the knowledge base since I'm a relative newbie to fully programmable radios although I've been flying since 1969. I had taken a few years away from the hobby and reading about the 9x was a big reason why I picked it up again. I figured I could just write off the $75.00 if it turned out to be junk. I've been very pleasantly surprised and I haven't even changed the FW yet. It's more than adequate out of the box for a foamy with spoilerons but will be looking into upgrading along with my next sailplane. I've seen nothing so far that makes me think it's any less capable and reliable than radios that cost as much as ten times as much. The big companies better start introducing new budget lines or they'll find themselves without a market.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old May 08, 2012, 01:28 AM
--=Scott Statz=--
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined Aug 2009
33 Posts
So I have a question for you guys already flying Turnigy/FlySky receivers...

Does anyone know the max voltage for these? I want to run a 2s lipo without a BEC like I have been with my 72 system, but I also don't want to fry the Rx. So what are people out there running theirs with?
modder'n art is offline Find More Posts by modder'n art
Old May 08, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Just a bit more recent experience.

I just received a pair of FlySky 6channel receivers from HobbyPartz/Nitroplanes, $9.00 a pop. Both bound instantly, passed range checks, and have successfully flown my two models. One little quirk that worried me is that the elevator and throttle slots are reversed so the first time I turned it on it went to half throttle and bent my prop. I opened the case and the joints are all sound but the two slots are crossed somewhere. Aside from that they seem to be a very nice, light, 6channel receiver and the price can't be beat. If you try the receiver one would be well served to tie your plane down the first time you power it up in case the throttle isn't where you expect it to be.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh