SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Jim, thanks for your input. It is appreciated.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:12 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Every single step of my weeks and many frustrating late nights with this set up is completely published on the "Turnigy 9x" thread for the world to read!
I did receive some help and a proffessional IT friend helped in person to download the problematic file which was necessary to plug the tx. into the computer. I tried for I don't know how long.
I also need to clarify the six servo "full house" glider set up. I was sent examples to copy to get mine to work, but failed to replicate it.
My conclusion was and still is, that I had a faulty unit from the beginning. I don't wish to start documenting all the problems again, they are already described to the best of my ability.

This exchange, like the ones I had on the Turnigy thread, has taught me that one can become very unpopular reporting bad experiences when many others simply rave about the product.

I'm getting off this thread now.

Jim.
Fair enough. Thank you for clarification.

I have not read every single post on that megathread. I still use the trusty old Win XP and I have the $4 ebay programmer. I used generic usbasp drivers for the programmer and no issues whatsoever. Very easy and straight forward process for flashing the firmware and saving and loading the models. Sorry for your bad experience. Those issues on diy gear are hard to debug on internet forums. I once built a glow plug driver which I never got to work. ER9X is still a very proven and capable concept and whether one can be successfully used on full house gliders (whatever that means to different people.) my opinion still is definitively yes.

As for unpopularity it must have something to do with your attitude. If you cannot get your DIY apparatus to work for whatever the root cause is, simply calling the whole radio (insert your favorite sensored word here) is a bit exaggerated even if I fully understand your frustration. **** happens with soldering small components at home, Installing drivers on those fancy new windows versions which do not accept just any driver etc. Modified gear is not for everyone. If I have succeeded with many others, there is no quarantee everyone will. That is why you have many many radios at your local hobby stores. Most of those work just fine out of the box.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:30 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
B12, that is enough. I have asked the mod to delete your sarcastic attacking posts.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Jim had a bad experience and reported it faithfully.

I am shocked and appauled at YOUR attitude. Get off his case. If you can't be civil, get out of my discussion.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:14 PM
When in doubt, mumble
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Unless I missed something B12 is being quite civil and stating that operator error is not a reason to call an item a piece of junk. If I missed something I apologize
TyCarp is offline Find More Posts by TyCarp
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Look, the subject of the thread is to ask people about their experience flying sailplanes with this radio and experiences with the radio itself.

Everyone's opinion is welcome. If you don't agree with it, that is fine. Let's not try to change anyone's mind or explain to them how wrong they are. Or maybe that they didn't understand. Or they don't know how to read instructions.

Stick to your own information and your own opinions.

If someone thinks this radio is a POS, that is their opinion and they are entitled to it.

If someone thinks it is the greatest thing ever brought to RC flying, they are entitiled to that too.

Can we move on please?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with the 9X flying sailplanes? Positive or negative is fine.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:57 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,567 Posts
I had one fro 2 year,
Many things in the menu did not work.
Crow, flapperons etc
But with the mix, I could get it to do what I needed.
I was pretty pleased with it, but had eventually need for more than 8 planes in memory, so I sold it.
I used the original RX and this Hobby King 6 ch RX:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_6Ch_V2.html
Used it in gliders up to 3 meter and a tow plane, so it was really high in the air.

Not once did it fail.

Cheap, but good for the money even with the bad menu.

My set up:

Turnigy TGY 9x. Snapflap/ brakes (4 min 10 sec)
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
What if you're strictly an RES sport flier without any elaborate mixing requirements. Is the Turnigy 9X reliable? Have you ever lost control for any length of time?
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:42 PM
France
Joined May 2006
657 Posts
I have the 9x , with telemetry , what i dont like about it , is the switch are rusting ,the range might be limited for big glider .(it say 300m for some reciever )

My telemetry range alarm was biping when my F3k was well in sight .

Also once i got a black out on a flight with the Frsky module .
vulpina is offline Find More Posts by vulpina
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:22 PM
DS will change your life
Joined May 2010
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
What if you're strictly an RES sport flier without any elaborate mixing requirements. Is the Turnigy 9X reliable? Have you ever lost control for any length of time?
Used it in gliders up to 3 meter and a tow plane, so it was really high in the air.

Not once did it fail.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:11 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
Great. How far we've come. A 9 channel system for $65.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:28 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Well, it is really an 8 channel system under 2.4 GHz. It was 9 channels under PCM but that is using 72 MHz.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:02 AM
DS will change your life
Joined May 2010
1,567 Posts
When I use the flapperon meny, I could set up the plane so that it was ok.
And work on the flap switch.
But when I turn the buttons then the ailerons was moving
Even the buttons was not activated.

Thats the reason I made my own mix on the video.
And spoilers are more easy to use on the gear switch.

At last I was trying the flapperon menu in a glider, but then I glued the turning buttons in newtral possion with hot glue.

Even the bad meny it still a great deal, and much better than the other Hobbyking 2,4 systems.

And if you can change the software then its realy great deal.

I didnt want to do that, so I sold mine and got the DX8
30 planes meny, so together with my DX7 with 20 planes, it should last this year before I run out of space in the menu.

Good luck
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:24 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Well, it is really an 8 channel system under 2.4 GHz. It was 9 channels under PCM but that is using 72 MHz.
My brain can only handle 4 functions anyway, unless I'm running a scale model boat with bells and whistles and such.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:45 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN View Post

When I use the flapperon meny, I could set up the plane so that it was ok.
And work on the flap switch.
But when I turn the buttons then the ailerons was moving

Even the buttons was not activated.

Thats the reason I made my own mix on the video.
And spoilers are more easy to use on the gear switch.

At last I was trying the flapperon menu in a glider, but then I glued the turning buttons in newtral possion with hot glue.

Even the bad meny it still a great deal, and much better than the other Hobbyking 2,4 systems.

And if you can change the software then its realy great deal.

I didnt want to do that, so I sold mine and got the DX8
30 planes meny, so together with my DX7 with 20 planes, it should last this year before I run out of space in the menu.

Good luck
Flapperons are supposed to move the ailerons. That is what flapperons are. Flapperons is when you use ailerons as flaps.

Sounds like it was working correctly.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:22 AM
DS will change your life
Joined May 2010
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Flapperons are supposed to move the ailerons. That is what flapperons are. Flapperons is when you use ailerons as flaps.

Sounds like it was working correctly.

My last post here.
As a RC pilot for 37 year, and working in a aircraft repair shop, And spend many houers of programing DX7- DX8, 9x... I know what flapperons is and how they should work

The turn switches should not affekt the ailerons...... perhaps the flaps..
And if you turned the switch, you could give the plane full aileron

Thats why I glued the turn switches.

But give it a try...

Perhaps the software is better now, than on the one I got for 2 year ago...
Cheers
S