HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Feb 2008
191 Posts
Currently im flying the futaba 6ex. The price of this radio is unbeatable, but I am a little skeptic. I dont want to see my bird fly from the sky because of radio failure.

Can someone that flies this radio post a review?

Thanks
stefan_mkd is offline Find More Posts by stefan_mkd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:43 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Also the team is working on sensitive rise/sink tones from a sail plane on-board fr-sky variometer and on-board battery control/warning. In this case you will have to buy FrSky module with telemetry and sensors (around $100)
passatiji is offline Find More Posts by passatiji
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:13 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan_mkd View Post
Currently im flying the futaba 6ex. The price of this radio is unbeatable, but I am a little skeptic. I dont want to see my bird fly from the sky because of radio failure.

Can someone that flies this radio post a review?

Thanks
Hi,
There is always a chance of the radio failure, but I replaced TX and RX module and installed FrSky+Telemetry. Now I have better range than Futaba I can control my on board battery and I have better flexibility/availability of mixes with the new firmware. This set up is working already 6 months about 3-4 hours every weekend with no failure. Just take in consideration this is my personal choice.
By the way I'm selling my Futaba 6EX looks brand new still in the box just in case somebody is interested in
Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:38 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by passatiji View Post
Hi,
There is always a chance of the radio failure, but I replaced TX and RX module and installed FrSky+Telemetry. Now I have better range than Futaba I can control my on board battery and I have better flexibility/availability of mixes with the new firmware. This set up is working already 6 months about 3-4 hours every weekend with no failure. Just take in consideration this is my personal choice.
By the way I'm selling my Futaba 6EX looks brand new still in the box just in case somebody is interested in
Thank you!
I am not here to defend Futaba but your comments can be missleading to someone new to the hobby, so I want to get a clarification.

You say you have better range and mixes than Futaba. I presume you are comparing this 9 channel radio to your Futaba 6EX, a very entry level radio. Certainly Futaba has much more advanced radios than that and much more advanced than the 9X.

As for range, range is determined more by the receiver than than the transmitter. So I presume you are comparing a Futaba parkflyer receiver to a FrSky full range receiver. Certainly Futaba has receivers with range that exceed a mile.

And what control do you have over your battery? I am not sure I can conceive what control you would want over the battery.

Just trying to understand your statements.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Certainly Futaba has receivers with range that exceed a mile.

And what control do you have over your battery? I am not sure I can conceive what control you would want over the battery.

Just trying to understand your statements.
I know Futaba has a better brand name and reputation.
For the good range TX/RX it will definitively require more money.

FrSky is two way system so you can have all the information you need on the ground. For example I was never sure how much juice remain in my motorized glider battery (good dynamic or thermal current will definitively affect the flight) , wit the FrSky battery sensor you can see the glider battery voltage and set an alarm when it drops to the level you want.

Hope it helps.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Feb 2008
191 Posts
May I please get a link from the FrSky module?
stefan_mkd is offline Find More Posts by stefan_mkd
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Someone please confirm I believe this is it, from a USA supplier
Alternate RF module (JR type) that I believe fits the 9X
http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-trans...ry-module.html
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:15 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan_mkd View Post
May I please get a link from the FrSky module?
I have this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14355
you also will need the hub
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19970
and the sensor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16671
Have fun!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:12 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by passatiji View Post
Hi,
There is always a chance of the radio failure, but I replaced TX and RX module and installed FrSky+Telemetry. Now I have better range than Futaba I can control my on board battery and I have better flexibility/availability of mixes with the new firmware.
I have never heard the stock 9x is actually lacking in range. What I have seen and heard people have testing them for miles/kms on par with all other brands.

Common mod is to swap for Frsky module and it sure has proven a good one. On the other hand I have never heard people have crashed with original module due to lack of range or unreliable radio link.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:33 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
From what I read, the FlySky module that is standard in this radio seems popular among the parkflyer electric pilots. The receivers are very cheap and seem OK for those planes. But the guys who are flying the bigger, more expensive glow, gas and gliders seem to prefer the FrSky stuff.

One complaint I have heard on the FlySky is there is no ability to do a range check so you can't confirm your set-up is solid. That makes pilots flying expensive stuff quite nervous.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
aeajr

Hey you have been at this a long time you know one mans trash is anothers treasure. The best opinion is your own opinion and in the final analysis is the only opinion that matters. BUY the radio make it work then I want to read your opinion.
Probably you are worried about the low cost....me too. I will stick with my Airtronics until you say otherwise.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
Hey you have been at this a long time you know one mans trash is anothers treasure. The best opinion is your own opinion and in the final analysis is the only opinion that matters. BUY the radio make it work then I want to read your opinion.
Probably you are worried about the low cost....me too. I will stick with my Airtronics until you say otherwise.
I have accumulated a fair amount of information on this radio system, though I don't own one and likely won't. I have two Furtaba 9C Supers. I am quite happy with them, and feel no need to change. What I am planning to do is take this to my club, an RC Soaring club and share what I have learned.

If you know anything about thermal soaring glider pilots, we tend to use a LOT of mixes with our gliders to gain every efficency possible. When you fly an aircraft with no motor, small changes in wing profile, elevator trim and other things can mean a lot. And when a glider pilot comes in to land he is going to land, there is no going around so you have to get it right the first time.

In addition, many glider pilots also enjoy contest flying. We run 3-4 contests a month for pure and electric launched thermal duration gliders.

Thermal duration contests are actually extreamly easy to learn, but are extremely challenging to do very well. It is a lot like fishing.

There are not a lot of complicated rules or moves or special timing that has to match to music. You launch, you find thermal lift and keep the glider up there for a defined period of time, defying gravity without a motor. Then you land at the exact second, trying to put the nose of the glider into a 1 inch square area for maximum score. It is that simple.

And for this we spend hundreds on fancy radios that give us incredible control of our gliders. We spend $75 to $200 on receivers to be sure those expesnive toys don't crash. And we use a lot of mixes for our full house gliders (R/E/A/F) creating special launch conditions, flight conditions and landing conditions.

If you join our club you will see a lot of fairly expensive radios because these are the ones with the glider programming. They are typically $400 to $800 each. And the brand name receivers that go with them run $70 to $200 each. And those of us who get really into contests are flying planes that cost over $1500 or more. We fly them over 2000 feet high and often over 1/2 mile out. So we need a system that is absolutely reliable.

So it can be rough on a new member trying to get into the hobby because he is going to want to fly what we are flying, full house gliders. (R/E/A/F) And he is going to want the radios we have, which are expensive. A DX6i or even a DX7, A Futaba 7C, Hitec Optic 6 just ain't gonna cut it.

Along comes the 9X and offers the possibility that we could put a reasonably capable radio in the hands of a new pilot for around $140 that can handle many of the sailplane mixes he needs. That includes radio, receiver, programming card, and battery. Additional receivers are $10.

When he is ready to move into the bigger, more expensive stuff he can add an upgraded RF system for about $50 with $30 receivers. Now THAT is appealing. And THAT is worth my time to research.

My plan is to take this all to my club and propose a club project to get one of these radios, set it up as a glider pilot would want it, with the updated firmware and test the heck out of it. If it is as good as it sounds, then one of the services the club can provide to a new pilot is tell him to buy a 9X with all the stuff we list, and bring it to us. We will flash it, put in the mixes and get him going for less than half of what our systems cost.

Because the Turnigy has the module wired in, I would probably recommend the FlySky branded radio.

That is the plan.
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
I have both the Flysky and Turnigy 9X. The flysky is two years old and the Turnigy is brand new. A friend of mine has a very beat up looking Flysky from 2007 or 2008 and no issues so far.

I started with helis and I mostly fly electric gliders these days. I must admit I once crashed my Orion V3 warmliner due to broken radio link. The reason was simply because badly positioned antennas got masked by motor, esc, wires and batteries and the plane was quite far away with the nose facing home. No issues after I positioned the antennas like they should have been in the first place.

I have both radios flashed with ER9X. Like Mr Pihl said it is possible to run out of mixes. I just programmed the Flysky For my 3 meter Vitesse. The model used 7 channels and 21 mixes out of 32 available.

Ailerons with differential
Full span camber/reflex adjustment with pot, mix activated by switch.
Flight mode switch for normal, flaps and butterfly
Elevator compensation for flaps, butterfly and throttle.

I do not know if this qualifies as "full house" but I still have 11 mixes to use.
Last edited by B12; Mar 26, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:56 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
B12,

You are talking my language so I am going to ask if this can be done. May not have enouch switches or dials. Are there side sliders?

Here is my typical mix and switch set for my full house pure gliders, such as my Supra, using my 9C Super, All servos are on their own channel using 7 channel receiver.

Basic stuff = end point, sub trim, servo reverse

Always on

aileron differential of about 60%
Flap to elevator on left stick for landing control. Some planes use crow, some just flaps.

. Flight modes - The following are on switches so I can go to presets.
Launch, cruise and reflex are one a single 3 way switch.

Launch - full trailing edge down 20%
cruise - normal flight
reflex- trailing edge up about 2 mm with elevator trim change
thermal - trailing edge down about 4mm with elevator trim change

on switches so I can add or remove the mix in flight

aileron to rudder - Like to fly rudder manually in thermals.

Expo on a single switch for ailerons, and elevator of about 50%, Used when I am in a thermal. I don't use dual rates.

aileron to flaps so flaps follow at about 50% down and 10% up - used mostly in wind

Timer so I can time my flight - beeps every minute and beeps every second from 9:50 to 10 minutes, but keeps going if I don't stop it.

Would these all be possible?

For an e-glider I would put throttle on a switch, 3 way if, possible.

So, am I asking too much of this software?

Some of our pilots have more advanced radios much more complex set-ups than this, with variable expo and trim changes in each flight mode. Some have flap to elevator on the first 50% on the left stick, then crow starts to come in for remaining 50% of stick travel.
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 26, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
There seems not to be anything extraordinary with your requirements. All those can be done and much more. Only limitations is the number of physical switches (7 switches and 3 pots, no sliders, only one 3-way) and the 32 mix limit/model.

ER9X is very, very versatile. You can mix whatever you want how you want without any limitations (to simplify a bit) and assign anything to anything. No preset channels, switches, sticks whatsoever. You can also program software switches which do different things based on different programmable conditions. ER9X has 16 channels so you can use the free channels for mixing and use them for input for other channels "for very complex behaviour" like the manual says.

I am not a master with ER9X but I suggest you to visit the 9X forum. There are lots of mixing help, tutorials, wiki etc plus people willing to help if questions arise.

http://9xforums.com/forum/
Last edited by B12; Mar 26, 2012 at 07:50 AM.