HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:49 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,161 Posts
Discussion
Moldie Aileron servo install help needed ...

Im sure this has been covered a bazzilion times but my search didn't turn up anything ...

Looking for the "modern" way to install an aileron servo into a molded wing. Last time I did this was about 10 years ago ... then I Shrink-wrapped the servo's, roughed up the inside surface a bit and I "think" I used epoxy to glue it down ...

... Is this still a suggested method ? Anything better than epoxy to suggest - i.e. goop, silicone based glue ... etc ?

I thought of potting them but there isn't enough clearence to work in there as the covers want the servo arm in the center of the hole meaning about 1/3rd of the servo is tucked inside.

Appreciate advice or links to such
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:14 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
That's still a great way to do it.

You may find this thread will open a real can of worms. At the end of the day there are as many ways of doing this as there are modellers it seems...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
I've had servos pop loose from epoxy on hard landings so I use Goop.

I wrap them in blue painters tape, but shrink wrap should work just as good if not better.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:45 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,766 Posts
I don't like using epoxy, others have had success with it though. I also wrap servos with painters tape, but I use Bob Smith Rubberized CA. Goop works well, as does silicone adhesive. I've heard that the silicone vapors are bad for electronics, but I don't know about that. The CA is fast, which I like. The best way though, in my opinion, are servo frames. They don't always fit in some installs though.
BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:27 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
If you use the painters tape it needs to be cleaned off with rubbing alcohol to remove the release agent, then lightly roughed up with some sandpaper.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:42 PM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
I do not use blue masking tape. The beige sticks better and lasts longer. The blue is meant to not hold as well. A bit of alcohol or acetone to clean the release agent from the back of the tape and you're ready to use whatever glue.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:18 PM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
Us ds guys trust a nice dab of gorilla Ca in the middle of the servo and around the outside of the servo where it contacts the wing. Holds up while flying in the 3 to 400mph. And with some delicate work can still be removed if servo failure occurs.
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery
Last edited by SethPenery; Mar 03, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:59 AM
Windy City Flyer
Chi Town
Joined Jul 2004
497 Posts
Not sure what plane that is but I know there is an insert (looks like a small tuna can) that might fit right into that wing. I cannot remember what website had them but I know they are out there. Worth a look.....

Good Luck,

Brian
Brian Kloft is offline Find More Posts by Brian Kloft
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:48 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kloft View Post
Not sure what plane that is but I know there is an insert (looks like a small tuna can) that might fit right into that wing. I cannot remember what website had them but I know they are out there. Worth a look.....

Good Luck,

Brian
You mean like this one? Might be too thick for a moldie wing.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN690&P=7
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:01 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,462 Posts
Some good tips about using the "tape first" method of fixing servos here!
My current preferred method is to first make a channel to fit the servo with a front and back ledge that rises to the level of the servo. I do this on my vac bagged wings by using a small piece of wood the same size as a servo wrapped in cling wrap as the "plug". The use microshperes/epoxy splooge to cast the shape around it.
When cured, remove the plug and cling wrap and press the servo into place. A few spots of hot melt glue is all that is required to retain it. To remove later, simply heat a piece of wire and melt the glue. If preferred, splooge can be used which is easy to dremel away for servo removal.
For a moulded wing, the channel can be made from suitable wood blocks glued to the wing skin.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:21 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Epoxy, no tape and don't roughen or clean the servo case. Holds fine and will pop out with a bit of effort if needed. use just enough epoxy to make a tiny lip round the bottom of the sevo case.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:29 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPenery View Post
Us ds guys trust a nice dab of gorilla Ca in the middle of the servo and around the outside of the servo where it contacts the wing. Holds up while flying in the 3 to 400mph. And with some delicate work can still be removed if servo failure occurs.
Appreciate all the advice ...

Are you guys preferring Gorilla Super Glue to Goop because of its "Tiny Rubber Parrticles ..." ?
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:50 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Some good tips about using the "tape first" method of fixing servos here!
My current preferred method is to first make a channel to fit the servo with a front and back ledge that rises to the level of the servo. I do this on my vac bagged wings by using a small piece of wood the same size as a servo wrapped in cling wrap as the "plug". The use microshperes/epoxy splooge to cast the shape around it.
When cured, remove the plug and cling wrap and press the servo into place. A few spots of hot melt glue is all that is required to retain it. To remove later, simply heat a piece of wire and melt the glue. If preferred, splooge can be used which is easy to dremel away for servo removal.
For a moulded wing, the channel can be made from suitable wood blocks glued to the wing skin.

Jim.
I like that.

I now only use hot melt glue to fix the servo into the lower skin (preferably using a plug or blocks as per Jimbello above), then I epoxy a bridge (ply or thin steel, depends on the space available) across the top to tie the servo into the top wing skin as well. Should the servo need replacing, the bridge is relatively easy to break out, then there's only hot glue to contend with. The top bridge is the biggest advance in my installs yet, it stops flex and control slop dead in it's tracks.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,459 Posts
what about mounts?

Did I miss something here?
What about making mounts?
You can make the from 1/4" basswod and box the servo in.
Notch out for the tabs, and you are good. You can even use a wood screw as long as it is short enough as not to poke out the top surface.

WinchDoc
who cuts wood once in a while too
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:15 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,462 Posts
Wing servos - best mounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc View Post
Did I miss something here?
What about making mounts?
I think mounts are the very best for "proper" wing servos. I've never graduated from cheap (reliable) chinese servos with regular mounting tabs, which I cut off.
One day I'll buy some expensive wing servos and mount them like you describe.
I don't want to drift this thread into yet another chapter of the "great servo debate", but so far my cheapies are providing valiant service!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!